• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Daily Mail offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/dailymail

The dailymail cheap train travel offer is back. If you would like to participate in this, just collect three different dated tokens from the D.M , and follow the TOC's instructions.

I can't personally find anything about the offer on the DM website at the moment.

I know that at least One other TOC ;) is in the offer as well, which operates trains in and out of Liverpool Street.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

adambro

From the T&C on the Virgin website:

These promotional offers are made by GNER, First Great Western , Midland Mainline, Virgin Trains, Southern, Chiltern Trains and one Railway, in association with the Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday.

Oh, and they don't do railcard discounts but I've just remembered that our student union shop sells all the newspapers at reduced prices. :thumbup:

Link for the Daily Mail details of the offer: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/prmts/prmts.html?in_article_id=431702&in_page_id=1777

And thanks for posting this voyagerdude220.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I think the offers look pretty average to be honest, and most of the time you can get tickets for the same price or less without having to collect any tokens. The Midland Mainline offering is particularly poor, and I can't even see anywhere to book tickets through GNER yet!

CallySleeper

Established Member
This was an excellent offer last year, extremely good value for money, especially in First. Also, provides more availability of discounted tickets when most public advance discounted tickets have sold out.

devon_metro

Established Member
This was an excellent offer last year, extremely good value for money, especially in First. Also, provides more availability of discounted tickets when most public advance discounted tickets have sold out.

Yes, that is what i am hoping to use it for.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Pretty poor IMO - I saw today's Daily Mail, and it was the 'one' offer in it, giving an "offer" fare of £20 from London to Norwich.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Save yourself hassle, use whichever variant of thecrapline.com you want and use these promo codes (enter them in the box at the bottom of the page when you plan your journey):

FGWMAIL - FGW, obviously
MMLMAIL - MML obviously

One - not available online, because they are not technically advanced enough.
Chiltern - as 'One'. But more tinpot. Only run toy trains anyway.

Virgin/GNER - not known yet.

So, for the two you can book online so far, here are my views:-
MML is a joke. Sorry, but I can't say anything more. Avoid.
FGW looks decent but availability is fairly limited. Worth a look.

devon_metro

Established Member
Is there are map for fGW. I'm waiting for the mail atm...

As for Virgin, it seems decent. £7.50 to York from Newton Abbot! (I think that is how it works...)

voyagerdude220

Established Member
How do you know?

I get "have entered an incorrect promotion code. Please try again" when trying that.

I just know these things.

I know that happens, because the tickets aren't officially being released to the public for bookings until 1st February.

Having said that (At time of writing) , VT are still/already offering DM tickets on the Manchester to Glasgow route for the 14th February.

Leamington to Manchester tickets haven't been released yet.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Nope that is invalid. And so the GNER one remains a mystery ;)

devon_metro

Established Member
That is merely beacause the Virgin/GNER tickets aren't found/valid yet. So they may well be the suggested codes...

1D53

Established Member
Oh, and they don't do railcard discounts but I've just remembered that our student union shop sells all the newspapers at reduced prices. :thumbup:

Absolutely - the Hudds Uni shop does it for 20p I think :toothy8:

Bout all its worth mind...

1D53

Established Member
I know - 45p today, my flatmate reads it so I've stolen his token too.

adambro

Do people have any specific trips in mind? My plan at the moment is a trip on Virgin from Manchester to Birmingham first class. Would be my first trip on a class 390 and on the west coast main line.

Andrew

Manchester-Birmingham is almost certainly going to be a Voyager (or is a 90 still out occasionally?) unless you choose a Sunday (or possibly Saturday?) when the Trent Valley is shut and trains are running via Birmingham.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Virgin HST hopefully although it depends when cheap tickets are available

adambro

Manchester-Birmingham is almost certainly going to be a Voyager (or is a 90 still out occasionally?) unless you choose a Sunday (or possibly Saturday?) when the Trent Valley is shut and trains are running via Birmingham.

Ahh. Ok. I'll get a ride on a pendolino eventually.

1D53

Established Member
At the moment I'm tempted by a day in Birmingham and a day out to Bournemouth and have a ride on the Lymington Line.

I've still got two free trips courtesy of Virgin 10th birthday giveaway as well :D

Gizmogle

Established Member

I took a Pendo to London on the 27th and it went past Birmingham. Doesn't stop there. Just takes the long way round lol :D

Been promising my friend I'd take her to London for ages but could never find cheap morning tickets with Virgin, so the DM offer has finally made it possible :D

CallySleeper

Established Member
I took a Pendo to London on the 27th and it went past Birmingham. Doesn't stop there. Just takes the long way round lol :D

Been promising my friend I'd take her to London for ages but could never find cheap morning tickets with Virgin, so the DM offer has finally made it possible :D

You mean the short way round?

Also, it's unlikely that you'll find any promotional tickets if you persistently can't find any public tickets - the majority of both are off peak.

Status
Not open for further replies.