• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Daughter and Transport manager stole from bus company

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qwerty133

Established Member
From the Leicester Mercury http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/P...-family-firm/story-19959347-detail/story.html
Parents' plea for mercy after daughter stole £20k from family firm

A daughter who stole £20,000 from her family's coach business has evaded jail – after a plea for mercy from her parents.

Leicester Crown Court was told Susan Williams tearfully confessed her wrongdoing when confronted by her father, Kenneth Williams, managing director of Confidence Bus and Coach Limited.

Susan Williams pictured outside court

However, the company was down far more than £20,000 – and it came to light that Andrew Harris, transport manager at the Oadby firm, had separately stolen at least £30,000. Harris is believed to have funded his wedding with the proceeds, as well as paying for a new car and splashing out on jewellery.

Williams’s parents both wrote to Judge Robert Brown urging “mercy” and “leniency” in their daughter’s case. The 36-year-old mother-of-one, of Leicester Road, Groby, who was sacked from her job, wept as members of her family sat in the public gallery.

She admitted theft of about £20,000, between January 2010, and July 2012. She was given a 16- month jail sentence, suspended for two years, with 150 hours of unpaid work.

Harris (39), of Knighton Fields Road West, Aylestone, Leicester, admitted false accounting and theft on the basis he took about £30,000, although the prosecution alleged that bank account evidence suggested he might have taken up to £55,000.

He was given a 22-month jail sentence, suspended for two years, with 180 hours of unpaid work.

Both defendants face having their assets investigated and seized to compensate the business. Judge Brown told Williams: “You took money over two-and-a-half years. It’s shameful to steal from an employer and even more so from your own family business. I accept you’ve shown remorse from the outset. I am told these proceedings have brought the family closer together in a very positive way.’’

Judge Brown told Harris: “You’ve stolen from your employer and the sum is just under £30,000, but the company feel they’ve lost more.”

He said he was suspending the sentence as Harris’s family was “heavily dependent” upon him.

Fay Mellor, prosecuting, said Harris was responsible for taking fares and waybills (descriptions of jobs) from the drivers and logging the figures, before passing them to Williams.

Williams’s administrative duties included recording the takings on a spread sheet and banking them.

Miss Mellor said: “A driver found a waybill in his name, but not his writing, and alerted the secretary, who discovered other waybills had been forged.

“There was a drastic shortfall against the money taken and what was banked, amounting to about £70,000. Each denies acting with the other.

“The managing director challenged the staff and, when he threatened to call police, his daughter, Susan Williams, broke down and confessed.

Miss Mellor said: “Harris had also been taking money before he got married and bought a car and jewellery.”

Miss Mellor said that from January 2010, a number of deposits went into his bank account, paid in coins and low denomination notes, consistent with bus fares.

Philip Gibbs, mitigating for Williams, said: “She immediately owned up and it must have been extremely difficult.’’

James Adcock, for Harris, said: “It’s a personal disaster for him. He’s the author of his own misfortune.”
It looks like this is the same Andrew Harris who is now the owner of Harris Of Leicester and preserved GJF301N.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Titfield

Established Member
I wonder if he will be reported to the Traffic Commissioner and called to a Public Inquiry regarding his repute (assuming he is a Transport Manager in the full sense of the word).

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
So he is at least 30 grand better off and only received a suspended sentence?! :roll:

PG

Established Member
I wonder if he will be reported to the Traffic Commissioner and called to a Public Inquiry regarding his repute (assuming he is a Transport Manager in the full sense of the word).

IIRC the Traffic Commissioner will be notified of the conviction by the courts but assuming the (by now former) employer has dispensed with his services and appointed a new transport manager then the Traffic Commissioner may well just keep it (the conviction) on file and use that as grounds for disrepute if he ever attempts to act in that capacity elsewhere in the future.

I certainly can't see how he'd be able to be engaged as a transport manager for any operator in the future?

NeilWatson

Which is my point, hence the rolling eyes.

Does anyone know if he has to repay any of the money or does he get to keep it?

Both defendants face having their assets investigated and seized to compensate the business.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Both defendants face having their assets investigated and seized to compensate the business.

All very well but the money largely went on an expensive wedding, even more expensive honeymoon - all irrecoverable, and a new car. The interesting issue now is what happens to the Metropolitan and Dominator C100 UBC.

Robert

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Which is my point, hence the rolling eyes.

Does anyone know if he has to repay any of the money or does he get to keep it?

I guess we use different emoticons for the same purpose then.

I also inexplicably missed this bit. The only thing needed now is strong enforcement.

WillPS

Established Member
It seems odd that it went to court if the managing director did not want either sentenced... I would suggest that if either are actually still on the payroll a fairly simple method of remuneration would be a pay deduction, assuming both earn above minimum wage.

daikilo

Established Member
It seems odd that it went to court if the managing director did not want either sentenced... I would suggest that if either are actually still on the payroll a fairly simple method of remuneration would be a pay deduction, assuming both earn above minimum wage.

Putting 1 and 1 together it just may be that said proceeds benefitted the daughter and Harris in the sense that maybe they got married.

As a Dad, theft by your own daughter is frowned on, and by her spouse even more so. I also note that she is described as having a child, rather than them having a child. That also upsets Dads, big time.

34D

Established Member
Wow, big deal in the bus industry! :lol:

It is for transport managers. Being "of good repute" is something the TCs look for.

He could well be barred from acting as a TM for anyone over this.

There could also be a driver disciplinary (by the TC) for dishonesty.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
All very well but the money largely went on an expensive wedding, even more expensive honeymoon - all irrecoverable, and a new car. The interesting issue now is what happens to the Metropolitan and Dominator C100 UBC.

Robert

Depends whether they're owned by him personally, or a company (etc etc).

Titfield

Established Member
I am not sure if the courts automatically notify a conviction to the TC.

I wouldn't be at all surprised though if both Operators got a VOSA Inspection as it does make one wonder how the original bus company could survive such a financial drain without their being some sort of impact on the operation.

It also makes one wonder if other "naughties" have been going on?

34D

Established Member
I am not sure if the courts automatically notify a conviction to the TC.

I wouldn't be at all surprised though if both Operators got a VOSA Inspection as it does make one wonder how the original bus company could survive such a financial drain without their being some sort of impact on the operation.

It also makes one wonder if other "naughties" have been going on?

Very frugal with money. They run around half a dozen buses that are over 30 years old!!

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Putting 1 and 1 together it just may be that said proceeds benefitted the daughter and Harris in the sense that maybe they got married.

As a Dad, theft by your own daughter is frowned on, and by her spouse even more so. I also note that she is described as having a child, rather than them having a child. That also upsets Dads, big time.

They did not get married, there is no relationship involved between them (other than both being employed at Confidence at the time).

The Metropolitan and Dominator were owned by him personally, though that may have changed when he set up his company.

Robert
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It beggars belief how his repute can still be considered intact... It must have 'slipped his mind' to notify the Traffic Commissioner. :roll:

Odd that it only has authority for 1 vehicle when he has operated 2 school runs and advertises 2 other buses available for wedding hire etc.

Robert

PG

Established Member
Odd that it only has authority for 1 vehicle when he has operated 2 school runs and advertises 2 other buses available for wedding hire etc.

Used to be the case (and maybe still is) that you were given X number of O Licence discs to be displayed on the vehicles being used but they weren't vehicle specific ie you might only have say 10 discs, but so long as you only ever used no more then 10 vehicles on the road at the same time then you were free to swap discs between vehicles and thus have more vehicles in your possession then you could simultaneously use.

Maybe he hired in another operators vehicle with their O Licence for the 2nd school run or they were timed so as to be able to be done with only one bus?

34D

Established Member
Used to be the case (and maybe still is) that you were given X number of O Licence discs to be displayed on the vehicles being used but they weren't vehicle specific ie you might only have say 10 discs, but so long as you only ever used no more then 10 vehicles on the road at the same time then you were free to swap discs between vehicles and thus have more vehicles in your possession then you could simultaneously use.

Maybe he hired in another operators vehicle with their O Licence for the 2nd school run or they were timed so as to be able to be done with only one bus?

Precisely, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.