• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DB Class 60 for sale

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

train_lover

Word is it's either DCR or GB but that's just speculation on the ground at the moment

ExRes

Established Member
Reported on WNXX (subscription section) that DB have placed fourteen stored Class 60s up for sale

008 - 009 - 013 - 022 - 038 - 057 - 061 - 064 - 070 - 075 - 080 - 090 - 098 - 099

Just a reminder of the locos put up for sale at the beginning of August

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
Gb would make sense, although I wonder if they wish these had been for sale when they decided to turn 56’s into 69’s
Aren't GB getting 66351-66360 based on a recent letter from ORR to Beacon Rail?

If so, if they’re investing in 69s and more 66s why would they need more 60s which aren’t massively standard?

train_lover

Aren't GB getting 66351-66360 based on a recent letter from ORR to Beacon Rail?

If so, if they’re investing in 69s and more 66s why would they need more 60s which aren’t massively standard?
I assume to deal with the increasing number of HS2 work they've won

At this moment in time I've only been told that a FOC has purchased them from DB. I don't know how many or who the FOC is. Once I get some more information I'll stick it on here

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
I assume to deal with the increasing number of HS2 work they've won

At this moment in time I've only been told that a FOC has purchased them from DB. I don't know how many or who the FOC is. Once I get some more information I'll stick it on here
Not sure that’s a likely scenario if I’m honest. GB want 66s, and the 69s are a mutual power unit (?). Can’t see them then buying more 60s.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Not sure that’s a likely scenario if I’m honest. GB want 66s, and the 69s are a mutual power unit (?). Can’t see them then buying more 60s.
60s have greater hauling ability and, I believe, are more fuel efficient. HS2 work may require a loco with greater haulage capabilities than a 66?

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
60s have greater hauling ability and, I believe, are more fuel efficient. HS2 work may require a loco with greater haulage capabilities than a 66?
In order to make those suppositions one must ask if the operator they think is getting them wants them at all.

Colas dumped theirs, GB could have secured all sorts (including the Colas 70s) in the last 24 months. They are working through the 69s, as well as the new bi-mode stuff, and are committed to a standard fleet of 66s on top of that.

Mollman

Established Member
In order to make those suppositions one must ask if the operator they think is getting them wants them at all.

Colas dumped theirs, GB could have secured all sorts (including the Colas 70s) in the last 24 months. They are working through the 69s, as well as the new bi-mode stuff, and are committed to a standard fleet of 66s on top of that.
Sorry to go off topic, but what bi-mode stuff are GBRF working on?

Bosch91

Cost I feel may have something to do with that, you can’t buy a 66 anymore, a 69 is in the region of 1.5million. I suspect 60’s would be ready for use having spent considerably less than a 69, which depending on what contract they have lined up for them may work out well for them.

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
Cost I feel may have something to do with that, you can’t buy a 66 anymore, a 69 is in the region of 1.5million. I suspect 60’s would be ready for use having spent considerably less than a 69, which depending on what contract they have lined up for them may work out well for them.
But what do GB do that requires that haulage capacity at the cost of speed (aka 60mph only)? I don’t think they would want them. The 69s are basically an expensive loco for engineering and such, as they’ll live down south. 66s will do HS2 stuff and everything else by all accounts, so are the 60s they already have even safe?

Bosch91

But what do GB do that requires that haulage capacity at the cost of speed (aka 60mph only)? I don’t think they would want them. The 69s are basically an expensive loco for engineering and such, as they’ll live down south. 66s will do HS2 stuff and everything else by all accounts, so are the 60s they already have even safe?
Slightly off topic but aren’t gb expecting the same reliability/availability as the 66 (from a 69)

furnessvale

Established Member
Stone out of the Buxton quarries for starters.

furnessvale

Established Member
But did they express they intended to increase the volume / weight / length that would suggest therefore they’d want them?
I have no idea and I doubt they would publicise such intention given the intense competition even in this area with FHH and DB.

ExRes

Established Member
I have no idea and I doubt they would publicise such intention given the intense competition even in this area with FHH and DB.

Exactly, I think it should also be taken into account that any of these 60s that may be resurrected for use will need somewhere around 6 months from start to finish of a Super60 upgrade, any work they may be destined for is quite some time away

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
So the long and short of it is people are finding an answer for a question that hasn’t been asked and may never be asked.

It is unlikely that GB will take these on. Period.

fgwrich

Established Member
Stone out of the Buxton quarries for starters.
Biomass Traffic out of Liverpool Docks too?

Colas didn't dump theirs, they just increased the numbers 70s. They were sold to GBRf who promptly sold them to Beacon Rail on a lease back deal - mostly to be used on the heavier Biomass traffic emanating from Liverpool Docks. A number were briefly leased back to Colas though not long after GB's purchase of them.

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
Biomass Traffic out of Liverpool Docks too?

Colas didn't dump theirs, they just increased the numbers 70s. They were sold to GBRf who promptly sold them to Beacon Rail on a lease back deal - mostly to be used on the heavier Biomass traffic emanating from Liverpool Docks. A number were briefly leased back to Colas though not long after GB's purchase of them.
Well read “decided to use alternative traction” for “dump”. The point remains the same. Colas don’t want them, for GB it was convenience on a very specific contract set. The fact remains it doesn’t appear GB would want any more when what they really need is lots and lots of 66s...