• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DB Class 60 for sale

ExRes

Established Member
Seems that 038 moved yesterday as well, that makes 008/013/022/038/075/098 so far with 099 at Leicester

There is a suggestion that one may be taken to Longport, that's unconfirmed though so may well be wide of the mark

60080 now at Loughborough

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D365

Veteran Member
Would there really be much appetite to preserve more locos? Given the amount of electronic computer control.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
60050 and 60086 are preserved aren't they?

Not sure I would regard them as preserved. Haven't they just been plonked on lengths of track at an industrial unit and left ? Are the exhaust ports and radiator fan areas covered over ?

I would regard them as stored and leave it at that.

If you think about it some of those bought by DCR have only really worked for about 12 years. Entered service around 1992 and switched off in 2004. Had EWS properly stored them they would be in pretty good shape now but likea lot of other industrial kit they are merely lumps of machinery with a value. .

AC47461

In my ignorance I mentioned upthread that the Loughborough destination of the 60s leaving Toton was Wabtec, but Wabtec closed that didn't they? I've obviously missed something but if it's closed, why are the 60s going there (other than them having been built there)? Have DCR taken it over (and just not changed the signage)? Just curious....

ExRes

Established Member
In my ignorance I mentioned upthread that the Loughborough destination of the 60s leaving Toton was Wabtec, but Wabtec closed that didn't they? I've obviously missed something but if it's closed, why are the 60s going there (other than them having been built there)? Have DCR taken it over (and just not changed the signage)? Just curious....

I've not seen it in black and white but UKRL are said to have leased part of the Loughborough facilities

ExRes

Established Member
60090 delivered to Loughborough by road today, a look at Flickr using '60090' gives a couple of drone shots of six of the delivered locos

038/008/080/009/061/090

The photographer suggests that 013/022/075/098 are expected to be the first overhauls along with 099 at Leicester

It would appear that just 057/064/070 are still to be moved out of Toton

* 60070 was moved along with 090 which now leaves just 057 & 064 to go *

Last edited:

ExRes

Established Member
60064 moved to Loughborough yesterday and 057 today, meaning thirteen there and one at Leicester, eight have been delivered onto track panels the others in the complex

Last edited:

BRX

Established Member
Is anything actually happening with these yet?

ExRes

Established Member
Is anything actually happening with these yet?

Last pictures I saw on Flickr they were all, externally, as they were, 8 on track sections and 5 together on real track within the Loughborough facility, 60099 seems to do a few miles being shunted around Leicester LIP but again appears externally untouched, that said there's no way of knowing if internal work has been started or not, I'm sure there was mention on WNXX 'recently' that they were 'on decision' but I doubt there's anyone likely to give any real info, I guess it all depends on the work that is intended for them and when they would be required

ExRes

Established Member
DB have reportedly placed another 12 locos for sale with a closing date of 20th January

60012/032/036/037/048/052/068/077/078/084/089/093

ic31420

Connected with the Scottish ferry operator with a fleet of the same engines and a shortage of spares sniffing around Toton last month????

Pretty sure some of those have holed engines 78/52/12 seem to ring bells

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Connected with the Scottish ferry operator with a fleet of the same engines and a shortage of spares sniffing around Toton last month????

Pretty sure some of those have holed engines 78/52/12 seem to ring bells
So would DB try and sell the complete locos to them even if they only wanted the engines ? Or might it be the case they could dispose of the worthless locos to a third party, with the p/us sold on to Calmac or whatever it is now called.

Spartacus

Established Member
I'd imagine unless they wanted the bogies or something that if there was shipping interest (CalMac aren't the only Mirrlees Blackstone operators) DB would prefer to sell them the whole loco and leave them to dispose of the rest, though that would ultimately depend on what deal was done.

ic31420

So would DB try and sell the complete locos to them even if they only wanted the engines ? Or might it be the case they could dispose of the worthless locos to a third party, with the p/us sold on to Calmac or whatever it is now called.

When's a loco not a loco. EWS and Thence DB are subject to these regs after chopping up locos at Wigan and thus not making them available to competitors I would imagine the requirement to offer them for sale would have some sort of regulation about not selling the key components separately as that would have the same effect.

Put a two litre TDi in 'em they'll start right up :D

Well BMW reckoned they could get 1500hp from a 1.5 petrol in the 1980s.... Mind it only lasted 6 miles or so and 4 of them driven carefully