• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delays due to "train cancellations"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacksmithyton

On Moderation
Today apparently there's no Circle line clockwise but it's running normally anticlockwise. How does that work? Are Circle line services not going to Hammersmith today and are just going around the loop?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Today apparently there's no Circle line clockwise but it's running normally anticlockwise. How does that work? Are Circle line services not going to Hammersmith today and are just going around the loop?
There is a 2 train traditional Circle line service on the Inner Rail only and then the H&C is running Hammersmith <> Barking via Kings +.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just as we haven’t heard of any problems in the last few weeks; short notice non availability of service control staff means that there will be no service on the Hammersmith & City, and Circle line, from 1700 this afternoon with the service ramping down before that.

Established Member
Just as we haven’t heard of any problems in the last few weeks; short notice non availability of service control staff means that there will be no service on the Hammersmith & City, and Circle line, from 17.00, with the service ramping down before that.
How is the Metropolitan line holding up? Services on Circle and Hammersmith & City lines currently on minor delays 'due to train cancellations'.

Established Member
Looks like the Metropolitan line is going down again this weekend for the first weekend in about two months.

Across the weekend, no trains to and from Amersham; the few trains heading up to Chalfont will all be diverted to Chesham.
Saturday and Sunday after 1830, no service on the whole line.
Monday, no service between 1200 and 1730 on the whole line.

Affects Piccadilly as well as there will be no service South Harrow to Uxbridge at certain times of the day.

Replacement buses, glad to say are less fragmented this time, and have been consolidated into 3 routes:
ML-1 Wembley Park, all stations to Uxbridge via West Harrow (Treve Avenue), South Harrow and onwards from Rayners Lane. I believe it will be every 15.
ML-2 Wembley Park, Harrow-on-the-Hill, West Harrow (Pinner Road), and all stations from North Harrow with the exception of Moor Park, but calls additionally at Rickmansworth to Watford. This route will be every 15 minutes.
ML-3 Rickmansworth, all stations to Amersham, and then to Chesham. This route will be every 30 minutes.

Glad to see that from Chesham it now only takes 2 buses to get to the Jubilee line at Wembley Park as opposed to 4, like last time.

No bus service at Moor Park however by the looks of things, I imagine an on-demand taxi service is in place between Northwood and Moor Park.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Looks like the Metropolitan line is going down again this weekend for the first weekend in about two months.

Across the weekend, no trains to and from Amersham; the few trains heading up to Chalfont will all be diverted to Chesham.
Saturday and Sunday after 1830, no service on the whole line.
Monday, no service between 1200 and 1730 on the whole line.

Affects Piccadilly as well as there will be no service South Harrow to Uxbridge at certain times of the day.

Replacement buses, glad to say are less fragmented this time, and have been consolidated into 3 routes:
ML-1 Wembley Park, all stations to Uxbridge via West Harrow (Treve Avenue), South Harrow and onwards from Rayners Lane. I believe it will be every 15.
ML-2 Wembley Park, Harrow-on-the-Hill, West Harrow (Pinner Road), and all stations from North Harrow with the exception of Moor Park, but calls additionally at Rickmansworth to Watford. This route will be every 15 minutes.
ML-3 Rickmansworth, all stations to Amersham, and then to Chesham. This route will be every 30 minutes.

Glad to see that from Chesham it now only takes 2 buses to get to the Jubilee line at Wembley Park as opposed to 4, like last time.

No bus service at Moor Park however by the looks of things, I imagine an on-demand taxi service is in place between Northwood and Moor Park.
Awful coincidence how that ends up happening over a sunny Bank Holiday weekend!

Sounds like they are relying on an unsustainable amount of overtime and goodwill.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

Sounds like they are relying on an unsustainable amount of overtime and goodwill.

And there doesn't seem to be much of the latter! 1830 closure to me sounds like a 12h day turn with nobody to cover nights. If it's anything like the previous issues, I'd also expect short closures in the morning for meal breaks.

Established Member

It was inevitable to be fair. Last couple of weekends saw a lot of trains be cancelled and a heavily reduced service operate. Trains were very packed and were running around every 15-20 minutes at one point in the mid-afternoon into Central London, a far cry from the normal every 4 minute-ish service. Lots of trains terminating at Baker Street, Wembley Park or Harrow-on-the-Hill (in both directions) leaving crowded platforms for extended periods waiting for an onward connecting service. The service was very bare bones and it looked like the situation wasn't sustainable for another weekend.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It was inevitable to be fair. Last couple of weekends saw a lot of trains be cancelled and a heavily reduced service operate. Trains were very packed and were running around every 15-20 minutes at one point in the mid-afternoon into Central London, a far cry from the normal every 4 minute-ish service. Lots of trains terminating at Baker Street, Wembley Park or Harrow-on-the-Hill (in both directions) leaving crowded platforms for extended periods waiting for an onward connecting service. The service was very bare bones and it looked like the situation wasn't sustainable for another weekend.
To be fair that is however a separate issue to do with non availability of train crew rather than service control staff which is the problem this weekend.

jacksmithyton

On Moderation
The situation with the Met line is getting beyond a joke now, yet again my sister (who is a key worker) will find it extremely difficult to get to work...

bramling

Veteran Member
To be fair that is however a separate issue to do with non availability of train crew rather than service control staff which is the problem this weekend.

There is possibly a connection, however, in that if control staff are coming in to a complete pile of brown stuff in terms of having to sort out crew-related unavailability, then naturally they’re less likely to be prepared to do their own shifts on overtime. I suspect that this is one of a long list of issues.

A60stock

Correct me if I am wrong but it says that the piccadilly line is only closed from south harrow to Uxbridge between 7pm and 9pm over the weekend each day. Strange how it's only 2 hours which are an issue. Will all Rayner's lane terminators be extended to go to Uxbridge?

Dstock7080

Established Member
Correct me if I am wrong but it says that the piccadilly line is only closed from south harrow to Uxbridge between 7pm and 9pm over the weekend each day. Strange how it's only 2 hours which are an issue. Will all Rayner's lane terminators be extended to go to Uxbridge?
1900-2100 is when there are no Control staff at Hammersmith.
Piccadilly will be operating their usual timetable outside that time.

sammyg901

I wonder if it is quicker to go on the Piccadilly from South Harrow to some places in central London if you are starting in chesham
Oddly Chiltern claims on their journey planner that trains are running from HOTH to Marylebone on Saturday 20.00 but TFL disagrees unless I am missing something

Chiltern now showing buses connecting out of trains at Beaconsfield on their "changes to train times" page. Bus all the way to Aylesbury Vale Parkway instead of a train shuttle from Great Missenden

A60stock

1900-2100 is when there are no Control staff at Hammersmith.
Piccadilly will be operating their usual timetable outside that time.
you would have thought that in order to compensate for customers west of rayners lane, that they would extend the Rayners lane reversers to Uxbridge in order to provide a 10 min service, rather than a 20 min service, which isn't great

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
you would have thought that in order to compensate for customers west of rayners lane, that they would extend the Rayners lane reversers to Uxbridge in order to provide a 10 min service, rather than a 20 min service, which isn't great
They cant - because then that would leave a shortfall on the rest of the line. The Piccadilly line is very busy on weekends, and this weekend is forecast to be exceptionally busy given the good weather forecast.

Established Member
From what I have observed, it roughly seems to be:
4tph Baker Street to Uxbridge all stations
3tph Baker Street to Watford all stations
2tph Baker Street to Chesham all stations

No service between Baker Street and Aldgate, or to and from Amersham.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Both Watford and Uxbridge are running 3tph, I.e. every 20 minutes, in theory.

Staff meal reliefs have caused some late running and congestion so in reality intervals (and destinations) have been extremely varied.

The Chesham service is running fast, stopping at Wembley Park both roads.

Established Member

Staff meal reliefs have caused some late running and congestion so in reality intervals (and destinations) have been extremely varied.

Oooof that's quite the hit. In total that's a 8tph service operating between Baker Street and Harrow, down from the normal 16tph of which only 6tph are stopping at all stations.

Wishing you the best of luck in the control cabins, you'll need it!

Snow1964

Established Member
TfL have now updated their webpage, no references to train cancellations, replacement buses at times etc. Now reads

METROPOLITAN LINE: Saturday 29, Sunday 30 and Bank Holiday Monday 31 May, no service between Chalfont & Latimer and Amersham. Use Chiltern Railways services where available.

METROPOLITAN LINE: Saturday 29, Sunday 30 and Bank Holiday Monday 31 May, no service between Baker Street and Aldgate.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Oooof that's quite the hit. In total that's a 8tph service operating between Baker Street and Harrow, down from the normal 16tph of which only 6tph are stopping at all stations.

Wishing you the best of luck in the control cabins, you'll need it!
I can’t remember the last time I was doing regular Rayners Lane, Ruislip and Northwood terminators on a ‘calm’ weekend, I’ll say that much…!

And all again tomorrow.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Do throw in a Hillingdon or Rickmansworth for good measure!
Can’t do Hillingdon anymore as the points providing direct access to Uxbridge sidings from the Westbound road were removed a few years ago over the weekend of 17-18 March 2018.

jumble

The real issue is that the information given to the end travellers is appalling

I went to London yesterday at just after 11.00. The train from Rayners was suddenly terminated at Harrow and everyone was kicked off
The Driver claimed it would be 20 minutes so like an idiot I believed this and did not go to Harrow and Wealdstone on the bus.
That train stood for an hour.

On the Way back from Oxford St Jubilee at around 16.00
Stayed on till Finchley RD Saw trains not in service on both Met platforms and was told No Met for another hour

Questions
Why did control apparantly tell Driver 20 minutes ?
Why did Jubilee driver not tell us so I could have jumped at Baker St and taken Bakerloo to Harrow and Wealdstone ?

Tomorrow I am going back in to London but I think I will go from H and W

Edit

I have seen the post on District Dave this morning about this
The pressure on the single controller on duty must be enormous but it still baffles me why the meal breaks are not communicated well in advance

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.