• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DEMU 60019 mainline status soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomis1066

Another Hastings power car will soon have it's main line status confirmed - 60019 (ex 1013 or 202001 as it was in it's NSE days on the East Grinstead line). Hastings Diesels name their power cars and I am hearing they already have a name for 60019. Personally I would've liked to see a King Harold name plate on the side - next year is the 950th anniversary of the Battle of Hastings and King Harold never gets the credit for winning at Stamford Bridge (Yorkshire version) and marching his men all the way down to Senlac Hill where he came close to winning that one too.

Attachments

• SLEO 4.jpg
    SLEO 4.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 1013 power car SLEO.jpg
    1013 power car SLEO.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 1013 East Grinstead 87.jpg
    1013 East Grinstead 87.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 1013 lives on in preservation 28 years later.jpg
    1013 lives on in preservation 28 years later.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Swansong Tour 87 (5).jpg
    Swansong Tour 87 (5).jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 33
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alexl92

Established Member
I got so confused reading your title... 60019 to me is either 4464 Bittern's BR number, or the nineteenth member of the Class 60s!

nomis1066

A coincidence over many years and many classes of rolling stock! Inevitable that numbers will coincide......m

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I got so confused reading your title... 60019 to me is either 4464 Bittern's BR number, or the nineteenth member of the Class 60s!

A coincidence over many years and many classes of rolling stock! Inevitable that numbers will coincide......m

I fell for that too when I saw 60019, I thought wait a minute that's already back on the mainline, great news though thanks for informing:) apologies if this has been asked before, but is there any future possibility of an original buffet vehicle being restored for use in the set?

tiptoptaff

Established Member
I fell for that too when I saw 60019, I thought wait a minute that's already back on the mainline, great news though thanks for informing:) apologies if this has been asked before, but is there any future possibility of an original buffet vehicle being restored for use in the set?

Actually incorrect - her mainline ticket has expired and she's running out the clock on her boiler ticket at the Mid Hants :)

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member

Yes, I also thought this referred to the steam loco.

I am however, a fan of Hastings Diesels, those trains are / were unique and do sometimes run rail tours on the main line, with 4 Hastings diesels coaches, although they do also have a CEP carriage and a BIG Buffet coach, thus making a six carriage train. (Although with a "bulge" in the middle where these 2 extra coaches are located.)

There was an answer elsewhere on this forum about the an original Hastings Buffet vehicle being bought back, I think the answer was, that there is such a vehicle, but it was converted to a lab or other test / engineering vehicle and it would be too expensive to convert back into a buffet.

Just reading the first post in this thread. If the above mentioned refurbished power car came from the East Grinstead/Uckfield line, was it in fact a narrow Hastings Carriage. Normally on the East Grinstead line, the DMUs were normal width I think, rather than the narrow size?
Anyway good news that another old carriage is hopefully coming online soon. If they used it coupled directly onto another power card it would be good, but they would have to make regular loo stops and the power units don't have WCs I don't think.

Last edited:

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Yes, I also thought this referred to the steam loco.

I am however, a fan of Hastings Diesels, those trains are / were unique and do sometimes run rail tours on the main line, with 4 Hastings diesels coaches, although they do also have a CEP carriage and a BIG Buffet coach, thus making a six carriage train. (Although with a "bulge" in the middle where these 2 extra coaches are located.)

There was an answer elsewhere on this forum about the an original Hastings Buffet vehicle being bought back, I think the answer was, that there is such a vehicle, but it was converted to a lab or other test / engineering vehicle and it would be too expensive to convert back into a buffet.

Just reading the first post in this thread. If the above mentioned refurbished power car came from the East Grinstead/Uckfield line, was it in fact a narrow Hastings Carriage. Normally on the East Grinstead line, the DMUs were normal width I think, rather than the narrow size?
Anyway good news that another old carriage is hopefully coming online soon. If they used it coupled directly onto another power card it would be good, but they would have to make regular loo stops and the power units don't have WCs I don't think.

Not fully certain here, but after Bo Peep ? tunnel was singled and the line to Hastings electrified in the mid eighties, were some of the Hastings units after being displaced on express duties, reformed and placed on secondary services?

theblackwatch

Established Member
I have amended the title of this thread to avoid confusion between three different vehicles! When I first saw the thread, I wondered if it referred to the Class 60 or A4, and discovered it was neither...

theageofthetra

On Moderation
They ran two power cars (without toilets) back to back on railtours back in the 80's & charged less! I still think Hastings diesels should do this on shorter trips I am sure the average enthusiast could bring a bottle along and enjoy the thrash!

Ash Bridge

Established Member
They ran two power cars (without toilets) back to back on railtours back in the 80's & charged less! I still think Hastings diesels should do this on shorter trips I am sure the average enthusiast could bring a bottle along and enjoy the thrash!

Send it up here, would be perfect for the Stockport - Stalybridge shuttle:D

bangor-toad

Hi there,
The East Grinstead and Uckfield lines for many years had 205's and 207's. There were occasional visits by the Hastings 201 & 202 units but these weren't particularly common.
I'd guess it was down to (non)availability of the usual units.

The 205 units were "normal" width. The 207 units were a bit thinner and the Hastings Units were the thinnest of them all.

Ash Bridge said:
Send it up here, would be perfect for the Stockport - Stalybridge shuttle

For a few years as the 171's and 377's were introduced you could fairly frequently find the preserved Hastings unit in hired-in service along the coast routes. Great days!
To this day I am sure that there remain opportunities for short to medium term use of the Hastings Units on the various branch lines around the country.

Cheers,
Mr Toad

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Hi there,
The East Grinstead and Uckfield lines for many years had 205's and 207's. There were occasional visits by the Hastings 201 & 202 units but these weren't particularly common.

The 205 units were "normal" width. The 207 units were a bit thinner and the Hastings Units were the thinnest of them all.

For a few years as the 171's and 377's were introduced you could fairly frequently find the preserved Hastings unit in hired-in service along the coast routes. Great days!
To this day I am sure that there remain opportunities for short to medium term use of the Hastings Units on the various branch lines around the country.

Cheers,
Mr Toad

Ah, now you've got me dreaming... Liskeard -Looe, Plymouth - Gunnislake, St. Erth - St. Ives. Oh well back to reality, (lovely prospect though if..)

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Not fully certain here, but after Bo Peep ? tunnel was singled and the line to Hastings electrified in the mid eighties, were some of the Hastings units after being displaced on express duties, reformed and placed on secondary services?

Bo-Peep's the one on the South Coast line that's shared by Coastway services, so has never been singled.

There were four singled which were Summerhill, Wadhurst, Mountfield and one other whose name escapes me :oops:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Ah, now you've got me dreaming... Liskeard -Looe, Plymouth - Gunnislake, St. Erth - St. Ives. Oh well back to reality, (lovely prospect though if..)

Yes, it would be lovely to see one on my hols in Cornwall - or perhaps the Whitby branch again !
Hi there,

Some Hastings Units survived after the electrification of the mainline in 86. There was certainly a four carriage one that turned up on the Marshlink quite often up until 1989, so it might have made it to Uckfield.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Bo-Peep's the one on the South Coast line that's shared by Coastway services, so has never been singled.

There were four singled which were Summerhill, Wadhurst, Mountfield and one other whose name escapes me :oops:

Yes, it would be lovely to see one on my hols in Cornwall - or perhaps the Whitby branch again !

Some Hastings Units survived after the electrification of the mainline in 86. There was certainly a four carriage one that turned up on the Marshlink quite often up until 1989, so it might have made it to Uckfield.

Ah right, thanks, I wasn't quite certain about the tunnel(s) but my excuse could be that I'm a Northerner, but you being a native of those parts is unforgivable, tut, tut, ;):D Btw. If you are heading to the Far Southwest are you aiming for a trip on No.1118 from Okehampton at some point?

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Would be fun for the Hastings Diesel group to take over the Bromley North 'popper' for a weekend. There is no Sunday service anyway.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Ah right, thanks, I wasn't quite certain about the tunnel(s) but my excuse could be that I'm a Northerner, but you being a native of those parts is unforgivable, tut, tut, ;):D Btw. If you are heading to the Far Southwest are you aiming for a trip on No.1118 from Okehampton at some point?

I consider my wrist slapped!

I'd like to visit the thumper in Okehampton - alas, I'm not sure I'd be able to persuade the family along all the way from Penzance!

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I consider my wrist slapped!

I'd like to visit the thumper in Okehampton - alas, I'm not sure I'd be able to persuade the family along all the way from Penzance!

Ah, I see, suppose it would be a bit of a hike from right down there, wasn't so bad for me from Tintagel, can also appreciate the family thing too, although when I got back in the evening my ten year old daughter was very envious and wished she had come with me on being told about the cab ride, she now tells me that she would like to come for a trip on the Cumbrian Coast class 37 services with me in a couple of weeks time, so Iam at least winning her over, the wife Iam afraid is another story...

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Ah, I see, suppose it would be a bit of a hike from right down there, wasn't so bad for me from Tintagel, can also appreciate the family thing too, although when I got back in the evening my ten year old daughter was very envious and wished she had come with me on being told about the cab ride, she now tells me that she would like to come for a trip on the Cumbrian Coast class 37 services with me in a couple of weeks time, so Iam at least winning her over, the wife Iam afraid is another story...

Alas, I fear that not even a cab ride would persuade my 40 year old sister or retired mum !, Dad might be tempted though :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.