• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Derailment between Hersham & Walton on Thames (04/03)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
A train has derailed between Hersham and Walton-on-Thames. There is damage to the third rail.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
A train has derailed between Hersham and Walton-on-Thames. There is damage to the third rail.
Hersham looks like a separate incident where there is damage to 3rd rail damaged by 2F02.

Walton-on-Thames is where 2L10 has one wheel on bogie derailed with 3rd rail displaced.

realemil

Screenshot_20240304-082711.png
Text on image:
Train 2L10 has reported displacing the conductor rail at Walton-on-Thames and subsequently derailed due to an object on the conductor rail. There is ‘extensive damage’ to 30ch of sleepers; the conductor rail is broken and signalling is badly damaged. All passengers have been evacuated and all including driver and guard are well albeit shaken.

This is going around. Not sure what site or where from.

SWR have a “DO NOT TRAVEL” for today (4 March) between Woking and Waterloo. Announced via Twitter, https://x.com/sw_help/status/1764568025997455590?s=46&t=OScs08OBW208ZMvP8y1gWA

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Very glad no one is hurt. I planned to get 2L10 from Farnborough to London, but decided against it as taking the next meant an extra half hour in bed! Thankful for my laziness today.

Last edited:

Couru

Glad everyone is ok. Not jealous of the engineers who'll be fixing this, nor the investigators who'll be finding the cause.

realemil

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
So running UF and potentially at line speed unless there was a RSR on so could have been very nasty.

Lets see if RAIB take an interest.

David Goddard

Established Member
Not the first but probably still in the single digits for trains going over that section today
RTT (yes fully aware that its not always 100% accurate) suggests that 2F02 was the first to use the Up Slow (as normally booked) and cleared this area, arriving early at Surbiton, although it did then there sit there for twenty five minutes. 2L10 was then the first to use the Up Fast. Times for the latter beyond Woking have been wiped from this source for obvious reasons.

Pleased that everyone is OK and hope the lines can be reopened soon

Omnishambles

So running UF and potentially at line speed unless there was a RSR on so could have been very nasty.

Lets see if RAIB take an interest.
Would be surprised if RAIB aren’t all over the site with it effectively quarantined until they are finished investigating

Somewhere

Ah that’s a shame although perfectly understandable. Hope everyone’s alright in regards to this incident. Have any idea when it may finally get out of Bournmouth?
Think the repainted train at Bournemouth will be right at the bottom of the priority list, assuming its on the list at all

AY1975

Established Member
Pity they can't divert the Weymouths and Exeters via Addlestone and either Richmond or Hounslow, as I suspect would have happened in BR days. I expect the crews that work those services don't sign that route these days, though, and there are probably not enough spare paths available unlike under BR.

SWT_USER

Pity they can't divert the Weymouths and Exeters via Addlestone and either Richmond or Hounslow, as I suspect would have happened in BR days. I expect the crews that work those services don't sign that route these days, though, and there are probably not enough spare paths available unlike under BR.
Trains were diverted that way over the weekend so it's definitely possible. There is ample capacity on the Windsor lines these days due to SWR's service cuts.

Probably not easy to organise quickly though..

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
They can do that in SWT and now SWR days, in fact it happened only yesterday, but apparently it cannot be easily arranged on the fly during the working week, because the drivers with route knowledge are not sitting around spare, they’re on their usual diagrams.

Murray J

It looks like some Portsmouth trains are diverting via Cobham.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Quite a significant incident, this one, given the previous engineering work (whch may have nothing to do with the issue, of course) and a passeger train derailed on a plain section of main line. I was actually thinking of popping out to photograph 455868 on its outing but couldn't fit it in today - glad I didn't set off!

AY1975

Established Member
It looks like some Portsmouth trains are diverting via Cobham.
In which case they could surely, at least in theory, send some Weymouths via Cobham and the Portsmouth Direct (and even some Exeters via that route and then via Romsey).

Status
Not open for further replies.