• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Digital Camera "Shutter" sound effects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teaboy1

Gentlemen, those of you with the above, please turn off your shutter sound effect when there are videos being shot. Nothing is more annoying to a video bloke who has to suffer that pointless sound every time he plays back his video. Its not a real shutter....digitals are totally silent.....its nowt but a silly gadget for the over 60's !!
Those with film in their camera are obviously excused! :-x:-x

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
If I ever find a way of disabling it, you can be sure I'll be doing so. It annoys myself greatly when I'm both photting and videoing (camera in one hand and camcorder the other), as I've yet to find a way to tell the camera to stop the shutter sound!

I seem to recall reading quite some time ago it's pretty much a requirement to have it on mobile phone cameras at least, something to do with people using their phones to get a snap of celebrities or something. It didn't make too much sense to me at the time and still doesn't.

Either way, I'll be having a play with the settings on my camera to see if it can be disabled. Glad I'm not the only one who finds it irritating!

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Gentlemen, those of you with the above, please turn off your shutter sound effect when there are videos being shot. Nothing is more annoying to a video bloke who has to suffer that pointless sound every time he plays back his video. Its not a real shutter....digitals are totally silent.....its nowt but a silly gadget for the over 60's !!
Those with film in their camera are obviously excused! :-x:-x

I agree with your thoughts as I video as well as take photos however digital slrs make a shutter noise which is a mechanical noise and is not a "sound effect"

eos

Digital SLR's are not totally silent- they still have a shutter , and mirror to move.
I often find those with video cams have tripods legs occupying the end of he platform , totally un-neccessary for a little palm cam or even a digital stills camera with (poor) video capability.

Established Member
I seem to recall reading quite some time ago it's pretty much a requirement to have it on mobile phone cameras at least, something to do with people using their phones to get a snap of celebrities or something. It didn't make too much sense to me at the time and still doesn't.

I think this was the case for a while, however you could turn it off on a lot of phones by putting the phone on silent.

I don't think this is still a requirement, as my current phone and my previous one both have options for no shutter sound.

Also what about camera power on and/or off noises?

I've turned off all sounds from my camera except Auto Focus sound.

I don't think I can turn off the shutter sound on my BlackBerry ...

If I ever find a way of disabling it, you can be sure I'll be doing so. It annoys myself greatly when I'm both photting and videoing (camera in one hand and camcorder the other), as I've yet to find a way to tell the camera to stop the shutter sound!

Either way, I'll be having a play with the settings on my camera to see if it can be disabled. Glad I'm not the only one who finds it irritating!

Is this "new-speak" for photographing?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Pretty much, yes. Although some people will say it as 'fotting'.

Found the shutter noise thing on my digital camera, still not used to the lack of noise!

Status
Not open for further replies.