• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Disabled Tanyalee Davis - more rail travel woes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
You could, but this looks like a deliberately-engineered confrontation that she was ready to film. I don't like antisocial behaviour either, and the people concerned have acted appallingly badly, but if I thought there was any chance of that sort of thing happening, I'd leave them well alone.

I’d have left them well alone too. You just need to look at the mother to know they’re trouble.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bantamzen

Established Member
I'm now increasingly of the opinion that she's actively looking for trouble.

Hmm, indeed. Filming everything you don't like then posting it doesn't necessarily actually help the situation much.

She's rapidly becoming the Donald Trump of the disabled person's world, hitting up social media the moment something goes wrong & expecting results*! ;)

(*BTW, this is meant to be a light hearted dig at her for those who may get offended easily!)

Or, for balance, you could put it the more positive way - "she is actively campaigning for social good"?

As much as I loath littering on trains, texting about them to your partner in full view of them isn't exactly the brightest of things to do. People shouldn't be looking at it for sure, but at least wait until they've left or cannot see your screen before doing so. A little bit of common sense in conflict situations like this goes a long way.

Journeyman

Established Member
I’d have left them well alone too. You just need to look at the mother to know they’re trouble.

Exactly. I've experienced plenty of antisocial behaviour on trains, and I know what I can usually get away with in challenging it - in these circumstances I'd have left well alone. I've asked plenty of people to stop playing music on phones etc. and they've stopped, but I'm very confrontation-averse and will weigh up my options very carefully before doing so.

Journeyman

Established Member
Hmm, indeed. Filming everything you don't like then posting it doesn't necessarily actually help the situation much.

She's rapidly becoming the Donald Trump of the disabled person's world, hitting up social media the moment something goes wrong & expecting results*! ;)

(*BTW, this is meant to be a light hearted dig at her for those who may get offended easily!)

I'm increasingly thinking that she's got a massive sense of entitlement and will happily make other people's lives extremely difficult in pursuit of her own agenda.

Journeyman

Established Member
This displays the cultural differences between Britain and the United States.

Of course, you can solve this problem in America with a gun...

Again, a comment in jest, but in all seriousness, it's why I'm so glad we have strict gun control. In America, it's perfectly possible for someone to end up dead when an argument like this occurs.

Darandio

Established Member
Someone is looking for another spot on This Morning. Or Jeremy Vine. Or the other dozen or so outlets she Tweeted.

OneOffDave

And here we go with the sort of constant micro aggressions and questioning of motivations that disabled have to put up with day in, day out. There comes a point when after years and years of it you just say enough is enough and you won't put up with it any more. If any of you think it's so easy and we are all just whining for the sake of it or to sell tickets then hire a wheelchair and live my life for a month.

Journeyman

Established Member
And here we go with the sort of constant micro aggressions and questioning of motivations that disabled have to put up with day in, day out. There comes a point when after years and years of it you just say enough is enough and you won't put up with it any more. If any of you think it's so easy and we are all just whining for the sake of it or to sell tickets then hire a wheelchair and live my life for a month.

I'm not disputing your experience at all. I know there's a lot wrong for disabled people and it needs to be sorted.

What I am seeing, though, is that Tanyalee Davis is a shameless self-promoter who deliberately provoked a confrontation for her own personal advantage, and there's no excuse for that. As I and others have said, it's pretty obvious the people concerned would be abusive when challenged, and would be to anyone. They're ignorant cretins who deserve all the criticism they get, but this was a completely avoidable confrontation that I think she cynically set up in order to splash herself all over the press again. If I'd been around these people, there's no way I'd have antagonised them like she did, as it was pretty obvious I'd get grief for it. It has nothing to do with her being disabled, and a lot to do with her being a quite unpleasant character who sees everyone as fair game for being publicly roasted on the Internet, so she can sell tickets to shows. I know she has it tough, but my sympathy is rapidly running out.

If I ever come across her on my travels, I'll keep well away.

In saying this, I am not belittling your experiences or motives in any size, shape or form.

Last edited:

Bantamzen

Established Member

I'm not disputing your experience at all. I know there's a lot wrong for disabled people and it needs to be sorted.

What I am seeing, though, is that Tanyalee Davis is a shameless self-promoter who deliberately provoked a confrontation for her own personal advantage, and there's no excuse for that. As I and others have said, it's pretty obvious the people concerned would be abusive when challenged, and would be to anyone. They're ignorant cretins who deserve all the criticism they get, but this was a completely avoidable confrontation that I think she cynically set up in order to splash herself all over the press again. If I'd been around these people, there's no way I'd have antagonised them like she did, as it was pretty obvious I'd get grief for it. It has nothing to do with her being disabled, and a lot to do with her being a quite unpleasant character who sees everyone as fair game for being publicly roasted on the Internet, so she can sell tickets to shows. I know she has it tough, but my sympathy is rapidly running out.

If I ever come across her on my travels, I'll keep well away.

Again, agreed. Nobody is disputing the difficulties that people with physical & mental disabilities face in everyday life. Goodness knows it hard enough for those of us lucky not to have any major issues. But this lady has clearly latched onto to the notion that anything that gets her annoyed is now at the very least fodder for her Twitter feed, which in turn thanks to the previously media coverage she has received means that for now at least one or more agencies will rush to pick it up.

And all this right around the time she is preparing for a tour. Just because she is disabled doesn't mean she can't be cynical and use the media for that extra bit of media coverage to help promote this tour. I mentioned after the first incident that her agent might have latched onto the idea. Had she just had the GWR complaint I probably wouldn't have thought twice, but now we've had a couple of rail related issues, a Ryanair one and now she's taking issue with other passengers. Sorry but the more she vies for attention, the more cynical I have become. So I for one now firmly believe she's using this as much if not more to publicise her tour than campaigning for disability rights.

Darandio

Established Member

I cannot being to understand what you go through on a daily basis, you have my full sympathy and a hell of a lot needs to be done. But I firmly believe this lady is actively now out there looking for trouble to further her own agenda. That is my opinion and i'm allowed to voice it, equality and all that.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
who sees everyone as fair game for being publicly roasted on the Internet

If you are littering, get called out on it, and your reaction to that is to abuse the person calling you out on your littering, and using the fact she is disabled as a basis for that abuse, then you deserve every single bit of "roasting" you get.

As I and others have said, it's pretty obvious the people concerned would be abusive when challenged, and would be to anyone. They're ignorant cretins who deserve all the criticism they get, but this was a completely avoidable confrontation that I think she cynically set up in order to splash herself all over the press again. If I'd been around these people, there's no way I'd have antagonised them like she did, as it was pretty obvious I'd get grief for it.

Or maybe she thought that by mentioning it, they would actually stop acting like they were? Publicly shaming unwanted behaviours does sometimes work (I've found it works quite well when dealing with people who use their bags to make sure they get 2 seats all to themselves!). Certainly this idea that she would willingly put herself in a position where she would get abused or worse (disabled people are a massive order of magnitude more likely to suffer physical abuse and assaults) just to sell more tickets is ludicrous to the extreme.

Journeyman

Established Member
If you are littering, get called out on it, and your reaction to that is to abuse the person calling you out on your littering, and using the fact she is disabled as a basis for that abuse, then you deserve every single bit of "roasting" you get.

I'm not disputing that for a second. They're pretty much the worst kind of ignorant tossbags for saying what they did. However, I think it's fairly obvious that they would do something like that, and given that I don't like being abused, I wouldn't have challenged them. Personally, I think she did it for some good footage and a story.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
I'm not disputing that for a second. They're pretty much the worst kind of ignorant tossbags for saying what they did. However, I think it's fairly obvious that they would do something like that, and given that I don't like being abused, I wouldn't have challenged them. Personally, I think she did it for some good footage and a story.

As I added to my post, the idea that someone would put themselves in danger just to sell some tickets is insane and I don't buy it for one second.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If you are littering, get called out on it, and your reaction to that is to abuse the person calling you out for being disabled (rather than apologising), then you deserve every single bit of "roasting" you get.

Quite. The disability is of no relevance in this case, really; no doubt I would have been called a "four-eyed fat ****" or somesuch. People like that just look for obvious characteristics to insult.

Journeyman

Established Member
As I added to my post, the idea that someone would put themselves in danger just to sell some tickets is insane and I don't buy it for one second.

Well, I know I certainly wouldn't, but I think that's exactly what she's doing.

6Gman

Established Member

Or maybe she thought that by mentioning it, they would actually stop acting like they were? Publicly shaming unwanted behaviours does sometimes work (I've found it works quite well when dealing with people who use their bags to make sure they get 2 seats all to themselves!). Certainly this idea that she would willingly put herself in a position where she would get abused or worse (disabled people are a massive order of magnitude more likely to suffer physical abuse and assaults) just to sell more tickets is ludicrous to the extreme.

But she mentioned nothing to them. She sent a text to her partner referring to the family as "obnoxious"; one of the family read the text and took objection to it. In my experience when you have obnoxious fellow passengers best not to comment (whether spoken or written) until they have left the train.

Journeyman

Established Member
Quite. The disability is of no relevance in this case, really; no doubt I would have been called a "four-eyed fat ****" or somesuch. People like that just look for obvious characteristics to insult.

...and this is what I think she's rather cynically exploited.

mpthomson

Certainly this idea that she would willingly put herself in a position where she would get abused or worse (disabled people are a massive order of magnitude more likely to suffer physical abuse and assaults) just to sell more tickets is ludicrous to the extreme.

To you maybe, but there an awful lot of 'celebrities', think Katie Price, Lily Allen, any Kardashian (whatever that is!), anyone who goes on Celebrity Big Brother etc who will do all sorts of things that most of us wouldn't even nearly contemplate doing if they have a book to plug, a tour to sell or just a flagging career. Showbiz is a very strange place indeed and all sorts of forms of media are full of examples every day. Your idea that allegedly famous people won't do all manner of things that you think are ludicrous in the extreme is, well, 'ludicrous in the extreme'. Particularly if it's worked in the past.

(Not meant as an insult, just using your words!)

Emmsie

To you maybe, but there an awful lot of 'celebrities', think Katie Price, Lily Allen, any Kardashian (whatever that is!), anyone who goes on Celebrity Big Brother etc who will do all sorts of things that most of us wouldn't even nearly contemplate doing if they have a book to plug, a tour to sell or just a flagging career. Showbiz is a very strange place indeed and all sorts of forms of media are full of examples every day. Your idea that allegedly famous people won't do all manner of things that you think are ludicrous in the extreme is, well, 'ludicrous in the extreme'. Particularly if it's worked in the past.

(Not meant as an insult, just using your words!)
You've just got to see George Galloway in Big Brother dressed as a cat to recognise the truth in your comment. Theres a lot of people out there with very little dignity when it comes to making a name for themselves.

Wychwood93

You've just got to see George Galloway in Big Brother dressed as a cat to recognise the truth in your comment. Theres a lot of people out there with very little dignity when it comes to making a name for themselves.
I just feel sorry for some of these people, although not to the extent that I would say 'poor you, come here and have a cuddle' - they are not worth that.

jon0844

Veteran Member
This is a Network Rail initiative for a few different TOCs but I read the above as if she's somehow behind it? Maybe she's involved with Greater Anglia but there's much more behind the scenes going on.

She seems like my local MP that tries to claim credit for anything good that happens.

Caleb2010

And what makes her such an authority on the subject!

Despite the hype around what happened to her, she’s no different from other disabled or person of reduced mobility- the system may have failed her but, spokeswoman for the whole passenger assistance using community- she isn’t!!

Clip

Established Member

jon0844

Veteran Member
And what makes her such an authority on the subject!

Despite the hype around what happened to her, she’s no different from other disabled or person of reduced mobility- the system may have failed her but, spokeswoman for the whole passenger assistance using community- she isn’t!!

She is now. I wonder it GA will later regret getting involved with her.

The app, BTW, sounds really useful and hopefully gets rolled out to all TOCs. Clearly staff need to have the appropriate equipment to interact with the app though, as a ten year old Nokia feature phone isn't going to cut it.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just a quick note that discusson about the app itself can be found in this thread so please keep discussion about the app in that thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.