• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Disruption to services - Storm Dudley & Storm Eunice

Status
Not open for further replies.

londonmidland

Established Member
Quite a disruptive spell of weather is expected for the second half of this week, consequently due to two storms, Storm Dudley & Storm Eunice, making landfall.

Storm Dudley - Strongest winds Wednesday night into Thursday, with the worst affected areas being Central & Southern Scotland and parts of Northern England. The risk of gusts of up to 80mph for inland areas and 90mph for coastal areas. An Amber weather warning is already in force for this.

Storm Eunice - Still some uncertainty with this one, however, Thursday night into Friday sees the risk widely across Southern and Central parts of the UK, as well as Wales, with gusts of up to 70 to 80mph. What makes this unusual and/or quite potentially severe is that there is the risk of even inland areas seeing such high gusts.

Latest Travel News

Latest Weather Warnings

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

323 Class

Storm track not nailed yet with hints of Southerly corrections that would see the strongest winds hitting the Midlands and Southcoast.
This also could bring blizzard conditions and significant falls of snow into Northern England and as far South as the Peak District / Derbyshire dales.

MadCommuter

I am in an Amber warning area but the BBC weather app shows max gusts of 50mph. That doesn't seem right for an Amber warning?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Doubtless everything will hit land just in time to screw up the weekend as usual.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Scotrail once again suspending all services, this time after 4PM:

Due to Storm Dudley, train services will be disrupted on Wednesday, 16 February 2022.

With heavy rain and high winds set to hit Scotland, our train services will cease running early on Wednesday afternoon as a safety precaution.

Rail services will be wound down by 4pm on Wednesday when the worst of Storm Dudley is expected to sweep across the country.

ScotRail services on the Far North, Kyle of Lochalsh, and Aberdeen-Inverness lines will continue to run. Some cross-border services will operate too, but at reduced speeds.

We know the impact that the earlier withdrawal of services will have on customers but it’s a necessary step to ensure the safety of our staff and customers due to the severe weather. The strength of the winds expected could damage infrastructure, blowing debris and trees onto tracks and damaging equipment such as overhead electric power lines and signals.
(https://www.scotrail.co.uk/major-disruption-due-extreme-weather)

Sounds quite bad!

_toommm_

Established Member
All Caledonian Sleeper services cancelled on Wednesday 16th:

Service Alterations:

Wednesday 16th February 2022

Due to the imminent arrival of Storm Dudley and the expected disruption to Rail Infrastructure, we have cancelled all services for Wednesday 16th February.

MikeWM

Established Member
I'm the first to complain about over-caution in the modern world, but the next few days do look really quite bad.

Tomorrow evening looks very poor all the way from the middle of Scotland down to the Midlands.

There's a lot more uncertainty still about Friday, but it is quite possible that this could be a rather memorable and unusually strong storm across the Midlands and South of England. (Alternatively the storm may well dawdle off to the south and mostly hit France instead, but if not, it looks very unpleasant for Friday daytime).

Scotrail314209

Established Member
I'm the first to complain about over-caution in the modern world, but the next few days do look really quite bad.

Tomorrow evening looks very poor all the way from the middle of Scotland down to the Midlands.

There's a lot more uncertainty still about Friday, but it is quite possible that this could be a rather memorable and unusually strong storm across the Midlands and South of England. (Alternatively the storm may well dawdle off to the south and mostly hit France instead, but if not, it looks very unpleasant for Friday daytime).
We’ve got an Amber AND a Yellow warning here for Ayrshire. I’ve seen how bad the amber alerts have been on the east. I’m bracing myself.

InOban

Established Member
I understand that services between Aberdeen, Inverness Kyle and the Far North will continue to operate.

nlogax

Established Member
Bang goes my plan to sleep in tomorrow and make my way from Glasgow to Edinburgh in the afternoon. It'll have to be a morning start to be sure of getting an eastbound service before ScotRail begin to tail off services.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
YIKES! I saw the yellow warning of wind come up for Friday in the Met Office app earlier today, it was looking bad then with gusts up to 54mph which is extremely unknown in this area. I'm quite some way inland after all!

It's bad enough out there now, when I rode back to base the wind was rather unpleasant. Currently 33mph gusts and that is enough to get blown sideways if it catches you at the wrong time.

I've now seen this thread, and this storm is of personal interest (unlike the others, where I read about the effects with concern but this time I have to get prepared), so I decided to check the Met Office app again.

Fortunately, while for tonight it has a yellow warning nearby, I should be fine tomorrow. It's Friday I am concerned about. Heavy rain and 43mph gusts when I have to be out walking to work is going to be a big challenge, I will have to allow extra time to do that walk. Coming back, those 60mph gusts will be evil! o_O:o:!::( I shall have to seriously consider an alternative route, not too many of them that are deemed safe enough in the hours of darkness so my morning commute will have to go up and over the river!

I've attached a screenshot of what I'm looking at for Friday, oh it is going to be so much fun (not)!

In advance of it all, I wish everyone the best of luck in dealing with the stormy weather, and here's hoping the effects will only be minor :) Keep safe all!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220215-231132_Met Office.jpg
    Screenshot_20220215-231132_Met Office.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 111

MikeWM

Established Member
A number of the models tonight are showing gusts of around 85mph across the Midlands and East Anglia around noon on Friday. That would not be pleasant, to say the least.

A number of other models are showing the storm passing quite a bit further south, with the worst over the English Channel.

I guess we'll find out which is right soon enough.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
A number of the models tonight are showing gusts of around 85mph across the Midlands and East Anglia around noon on Friday. That would not be pleasant, to say the least.

A number of other models are showing the storm passing quite a bit further south, with the worst over the English Channel.

I guess we'll find out which is right soon enough.
Prepare for the worst but hope for the best, that's all one can do really.

Millisle

This will be an interesting comparison, as things stand, with services spiked at Edinburgh and Glasgow and so far not at Carlisle and Newcastle with almost identical forecast wind speeds in all four places.

liamf656

The Met Office also gives early warnings of potential snow in the Midlands on Friday, although it’ll be more accurate closer to the day:
The next low-pressure system is likely to track across central areas of the UK on Friday. Further impacts are expected from disruptive gale force winds with 60–70 mph winds expected inland. This system is also expected to bring some heavy rain and there is a potential for some significant snow fall over hills in the Midlands and further north, although this will become clearer nearer the time.

robbeech

Established Member
I understand that services between Aberdeen, Inverness Kyle and the Far North will continue to operate.
Latest news from Scotrail less than an hour ago confirms this is still the plan.

Last Edinburgh to Aberdeen is the LNER at 1428, Trainline throws up some cracking options after that 1438, arriving 0746 Thursday for example.

Last Edinburgh Inverness 1333 (unless you go via Aberdeen taking 6hr, again using the LNER which is still running)

I think the wording is poor as many people will be thinking they need to be getting a train before 1600 where as in many cases it’s hours before that.

Established Member
Overhead Line damage Leeds to Doncaster with line blocked until
Estaimate 14:00.
Unsure of weather the cause, or just normal infrastructure damage.

Also, Possible OverheadLine damage between Marshall Meadows - Reston, 1V52 to be held at Dunbar. Light engine currently investigating

KevL

Hi. Long time lurker here…
fwiw. i live in Scarborough, the wind in my back yard is wild, so not surprised at the ecml damage.

james_the_xv

Latest news from Scotrail less than an hour ago confirms this is still the plan.

Last Edinburgh to Aberdeen is the LNER at 1428, Trainline throws up some cracking options after that 1438, arriving 0746 Thursday for example.

Last Edinburgh Inverness 1333 (unless you go via Aberdeen taking 6hr, again using the LNER which is still running)

I think the wording is poor as many people will be thinking they need to be getting a train before 1600 where as in many cases it’s hours before that.
Yeah I thought the wording of Scotrail’s announcement was very confusing, expect some very angry customers at rush hour this evening who didn’t understand the statement.

MadCommuter

Also, Possible OverheadLine damage between Marshall Meadows - Reston, 1V52 to be held at Dunbar. Light engine currently investigating
Looks like the light engine has made it to Berwick and 1E04 now at Grantshouse with 1V52 still at Dunbar. But LNER advising customers to catch the 08.30 from Edinburgh. Not sure what's going on. Perhaps a quick fix expected.

MP393

07:18 Manchester - Cleethorpes has struck a tree between Hazel Grove & New Mills south on the chord, 08:18 Cleethorpes diverting via Romiley.

Established Member
Looks like the light engine has made it to Berwick and 1E04 now at Grantshouse with 1V52 still at Dunbar. But LNER advising customers to catch the 08.30 from Edinburgh. Not sure what's going on. Perhaps a quick fix expected.
08:14 looks like like open, and services moving forward.

Edit-0830, electric services still held at Edinburg

Last edited:

driver9000

Established Member
Scotland with the exception of the Far North lines is under a 50mph blanket speed restriction from 16:00 until 01:00.

MidlandsChap

I am surprised that the Met office is still at yellow warning for Friday. Granted the final tracking and intensity seems to remain unknown with this one but some of the models are indicating extremely high gusts. I do not think people pay too much attention to the usual press articles about storms given how frequently we get unsettled weather at this time of year. This has the potential to end up being a boy that cried wolf sort of incident

Nobody I have been speaking to this week has any kind of idea that Eunice might get a little shirty.

Saint66

The start of what could be a challenging couple of days on the ECML.

Modelling hasn’t changed much overnight regarding Fridays storm. Imagine NR/TOC’s in the south and the Midlands are preparing for the worst at the moment.

Established Member
07:18 Manchester - Cleethorpes has struck a tree between Hazel Grove & New Mills south on the chord, 08:18 Cleethorpes diverting via Romiley.
Being from the area, it hasn't been that windy l other than a few gusts last night, but suspect that the saturated ground might have contributed to it falling with a breeze.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
It has been pretty gusty this morning in The Ford, thankfully it has calmed down for now. Which is good, as I really need to head out soon and get some razors for a well overdue shave :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.