• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Disused or mothballed railway lines with track still in place

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Harbornite

Established Member
I've just thought of two more: the sidings at BMW plant Swindon and the Sidings at Honda's plant, also in Swindon.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Indeed. NR were unusually hasty in lifting the track once the closure order was granted, possibly related to the level crossings.

In all honesty if they hadn't removed the track scrap thieves would have. And with the closure of the open cast mine at Denby the line no longer had any prospect of freight using it.

Mark62

The Tyne and Wear metro line at South Shields still runs to the docks, I believe. Last time I was there the lines were heavily rusted but in place. I can't imagine freight trains sharing the single line to South Shields as its not part of the rail network.
There are still lines that run on the George Stevenson designed line through Pelaw east platform. The lines are in excellent condition. They extend from beyond the Bowes Railway to a junction where the ground frames are in working condition. The line runs behind the Wagon Inn at Eighton Banks and abruptly ends after a run around loop.
I have walked this many times recently and have taken plenty of photos.
And nobody has tried to steal the lines or frames. I don't think too many railway lines get stolen.

Last edited:

BurtonM

Are there any tracks left in the old Moorgate branch of the Widened Lines?

Also - think museums. MOSI/Museum of Science and Industry has tracks through it - that NS liveried EM2 was delivered that way.
Do NRM/Shildon/Crewe hold any disused track sections?

2HAP

Shepherdswell to Shepherdswell (EKR) spur. Still there but not in operational use AFAIK.

randyrippley

Established Member
if you look through the undergrowth at the level crossing on Skeffington Rd, Preston, it looks as if at least some portions of track still are in place on the former Longridge branch. No idea of the actual extent of what's left

Ships

if you look through the undergrowth at the level crossing on Skeffington Rd, Preston, it looks as if at least some portions of track still are in place on the former Longridge branch. No idea of the actual extent of what's left

S&C to the main lines bee plain lined but the track on the branch is there

Harbornite

Established Member
Still waiting for 1st Moorswater revenue earning trip !!:(

Indeed. The Railway centre reported in June that stuff would start running in a few weeks. Oh well, it will probably start eventually.

Steveswan10

The Bulmers branch from hereford yard though the actual points have been lifted but most of the track is still in place but not sure about the rest of the line past the gates to the works themselves, also don't know if the line into Wigins metal factory has any track left at all, the line from the over bridge where the Bulmers line swings under up past painter bros has long gone but the cutting into Wigins is completely inaccessible

themiller

I've noticed a few threads recently about disused stations without tracks and lines without stations etc. This one's a bit different, basically I was wondering how many disused or mothballed railways are there where the track is mostly or completely in situ, but obviously not in use. A couple I can think of are:

Barrow in Furness dock line
Attachment 09th May 2016, shows 68005 at Salthouse Junction on the Barrow Docks branch waiting to leave to return north on the coast line to Carlisle.
Sellafield still use it to access their marine terminal.
If this isn't the one you meant, sorry.

Attachments

• IMG_3043.jpg
    IMG_3043.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 108

Harbornite

Established Member
Attachment 09th May 2016, shows 68005 at Salthouse Junction on the Barrow Docks branch waiting to leave to return north on the coast line to Carlisle.
Sellafield still use it to access their marine terminal.
If this isn't the one you meant, sorry.

Interesting, I am merely going by what I was told so you could well be correct.

reddragon

Established Member
Staines West tracks are in place in the yard north of the station, closed 1980's?

You can just pick them out on google earth.

Chessington coal yard also has tracks in very mature trees, shut 1980's there are some pics around

Harbornite

Established Member
The Bulmers branch from hereford yard though the actual points have been lifted but most of the track is still in place but not sure about the rest of the line past the gates to the works themselves, also don't know if the line into Wigins metal factory has any track left at all, the line from the over bridge where the Bulmers line swings under up past painter bros has long gone but the cutting into Wigins is completely inaccessible

I don't know how I forgot about that one :oops:

Google street view shows surviving track and even crossing gates, although none survives in the Bulmers brewery.

GER1994

I know someone mentioned the Ipswich Dock branch earlier. Just thought I would add that some track is still in situ. From Ipswich Yard up to Ranelagh Road Crossing still has track. Unfortunately the crossing gates and rails for the crossing were removed a couple of years ago. The rails then reappear on the other side of the road and continue up to Princes Street bridge which is the bridge just opposite Ipswich station. Mostly overgrown now but still accessible in places. Don't know if it still doesn't meet your criteria but just thought I'd put my two pennies worth in anyway :) .

Harbornite

Established Member
There was also the Falmouth docks branch, which retained some track until recently.

83G/84D

Established Member
Still waiting for 1st Moorswater revenue earning trip !!:(

Regular freight traffic on this line is not now expected to resume before November. AFAIK the line remains open for occasional traffic such as test trains, weedkillers etc.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Certainly the track between St Helens Central to Sutton Oak is certainly intact and overgrown. As for the remainder to St Helens Junction - I think a lot has disappeared and what has not disappeared will be rotten and overgrown. As for the Junction at St Helens Junction, it simply dont exist, long lifted and now plain line on the mainline. HTH.

Is that the line that Robins Lane Halt used to be on?

Ash Bridge

Established Member
The former CLC route from Glazebrook to Skelton Junc. is still connected at the latter end, the track was still in place as far as Carrington, although perhaps taken over by nature for the most part.

Last edited:

Established Member
Stratford to North Woolwich mentioned earlier in the thread, but some sections are now DLR, and some are becoming Crossrail. I'm not sure if there's anything still left at the North Woolwich end.

Harbornite

Established Member
Unfortunately, another line has to be added to the list: The Fawley branch, south of Marchwood. There will be a few more movements over it but that is all.

Muzer

Established Member
Unfortunately, another line has to be added to the list: The Fawley branch, south of Marchwood. There will be a few more movements over it but that is all.
Rumour has it it'll still have plenty of movements this autumn as they'll still be running the regular leaf fall trains (water jets/sandite/whatever)

Status
Not open for further replies.