• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DLR B23 Stock (CAF Inneo)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

100andthirty

Yes and no! It's terminology. The existing vehicles - 2 body, 3 bogie units - are known as "cars". I've put this in quotes to differentiate from the new train's cars. The DLR trains generally run with 3 "cars" - so six bodies. The new trains are 5 cars long. So each new car is longer than an existing body, but shorter than the existing "cars".

I hope this doesn't add to the confusion too much.

Putting it another way, the new cars are approximately the same length as the ex LU D stock cars.

K.o.R

The new livery is actually quite interesting, basically the Crossrail livery but with DLR teal instead of CR purple. I wonder what it would look like applied to Overground or Underground units, with orange/red lower body stripes?

MCR247

Established Member
I feel like it’d look better without the white sections at the front sides as well as having black headlight surrounds

JaJaWa

Established Member
2A5E7C21-307C-46EF-A8BB-18505C004074.jpeg

Is the new livery legally compliant?

The white sections at the car ends make it look like there are doors there.

Snow1964

Established Member
View attachment 118047

Is the new livery legally compliant?

The white sections at the car ends make it look like there are doors there.

The legislation is in attached link, and there are lots of diagrams of what is and isn’t permitted in annex B relating to door colours and surrounds (hope this is current version as there is an annex on EU law to UK law)

However I cannot see anything relating to livery around the car ends, but I wouldn’t have thought it good practice to use your contrasting door colour for part that is not a door

Mikey C

Established Member
The uneven number of doors still seems strange to me. Effectively the end cars will have a reduced number of doors to the current stock

Taunton

Established Member
I understand that the differential door spacing is associated with the wheelchair/pram etc provision at different parts of the train.

Just an observation for the designers, but the existing cars which run in multiple each have such provision right by their middle doors, but not at the end doors. This is completely unknown to such passengers, who board equally at any nearest door, those with prams (sometimes several in a train), and those in wheelchairs (about once a year in my experience), and then find there is no provision inside and the gangway is too narrow/busy to go down. I patiently (sort of) explained all this to Mrs Taunton during the pram era, but never quite managed to get it through until those times had actually passed.

Mikey C

Established Member
I understand that the differential door spacing is associated with the wheelchair/pram etc provision at different parts of the train.

Just an observation for the designers, but the existing cars which run in multiple each have such provision right by their middle doors, but not at the end doors. This is completely unknown to such passengers, who board equally at any nearest door, those with prams (sometimes several in a train), and those in wheelchairs (about once a year in my experience), and then find there is no provision inside and the gangway is too narrow/busy to go down. I patiently (sort of) explained all this to Mrs Taunton during the pram era, but never quite managed to get it through until those times had actually passed.
As these new trains will run in parallel with some of the existing ones, will there be different locations depending on which train turns up?

Taunton

Established Member
As these new trains will run in parallel with some of the existing ones, will there be different locations depending on which train turns up?
Yes, the newer existing cars, numbers 101 upwards, will be retained. Some of these are only 10 years old.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The legislation is in attached link, and there are lots of diagrams of what is and isn’t permitted in annex B relating to door colours and surrounds (hope this is current version as there is an annex on EU law to UK law)

However I cannot see anything relating to livery around the car ends, but I wouldn’t have thought it good practice to use your contrasting door colour for part that is not a door
I’m not sure exactly what that document is; is it PRM-TSI because that does not apply to the DLR; only for main line services. The correct legislation to for the DLR is the Rail Vehicle Accessibility (Non-Interoperable Rail System) Regulations 2010, commonly just known as Rvar.

The applicable section is contained within Schedule 1, Part 1.3 and requires that “each passenger doorway in the side of a rail vehicle must be indicated clearly by doors which on their exterior contrast with the exterior of the vehicle to each side of the doors (excluding any contrast resulting from a window or control device being set in the doors).”

Given that the area surrounding the doors does have a contrast with the actual doors, it seems that this is permissible.

Domh245

Established Member
Does anyone know what train formation Mc-T-S-T-Mc means,
I am guessing M=motor, c=cab, T=trailer,
but S is unknown to me

I think it's similar to the S stocks, where 'MS' are the cars with wheelchair spaces - I want to say it stands for 'special' but not too sure. If they do only have the 2 motored vehicles I would be surprised!

TRAX

Established Member
I think it's similar to the S stocks, where 'MS' are the cars with wheelchair spaces - I want to say it stands for 'special' but not too sure. If they do only have the 2 motored vehicles I would be surprised!
It wouldn’t be that surprising given it’s becoming a more and more common configuration to have very few motor cars on modern units.

Domh245

Established Member
It wouldn’t be that surprising given it’s becoming a more and more common configuration to have very few motor cars on modern units.

Fair enough - I'm surprised that this is the trend given the usual benefits of having a high % of axles powered, unless (like Aventras) motored axles are fed from an adjacent vehicle I suppose?

TRAX

Established Member
Fair enough - I'm surprised that this is the trend given the usual benefits of having a high % of axles powered, unless (like Aventras) motored axles are fed from an adjacent vehicle I suppose?
I didn’t say it was the case for these Inneos, though. It’s unclear as they wrote S and not TS or MS…

Taunton

Established Member
Photographs carefully arranged not to show that half of the currently (and longstanding) most popular, forward-facing seats at the cab ends, have been deleted.

The DLR used to actually promote sightseeing on their lines, down through Docklands. Not possible any more with everyone forced to face inwards.

JaJaWa

Established Member
The DLR used to actually promote sightseeing on their lines, down through Docklands. Not possible any more with everyone forced to face inwards.

????

There are forward facing seats at the train ends, the last pic clearly shows them.

They are needed as a backup for manual driving so can never be removed.

Taunton

Established Member
Read it again ...

As stated, they have removed HALF of the forward facing seats, and the picture described is nicely framed to show just the one row left, not two as currently.

We have just got out of the last two years with the cab ends roped off for just the train op to use, it's noticeable how immediately the eight seats front, and back, are once again always sat in first. At places like Tower Gateway you can see people, particularly with children, jostling to be first through the front doors as the train rolls in.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Motor shoegear - ‘special’ seems to have been invented by enthusiasts because of the provision of the accessible area, which is frankly offensive. (Not directed at anyone in particular!)

Mikw

Read it again ...

As stated, they have removed HALF of the forward facing seats, and the picture described is nicely framed to show just the one row left, not two as currently.

We have just got out of the last two years with the cab ends roped off for just the train op to use, it's noticeable how immediately the eight seats front, and back, are once again always sat in first. At places like Tower Gateway you can see people, particularly with children, jostling to be first through the front doors as the train rolls in.
It's a shame. Even as a middled aged balding bloke i still enjoy sitting in those front facing seats - much more enjoyable than looking at hideously ugly people's faces.

100andthirty

I feel sorry for the Passenger Service Agents if they have to drive manually. The controls and seat seem much further back than on the existing stock and the windscreen looks narrower too. In as much that it matters on a CBTC railway sightlines might well be a problem. Probably the biggest issue will be seeing the platform mirrors or monitors, but this is such an obvious point that DLR is bound to have thought about it and have a fix.

TRAX

Established Member
Motor shoegear - ‘special’ seems to have been invented by enthusiasts because of the provision of the accessible area, which is frankly offensive. (Not directed at anyone in particular!)
Not all motor cars on the S Stock have shoegear ?

I feel sorry for the Passenger Service Agents if they have to drive manually. The controls and seat seem much further back than on the existing stock and the windscreen looks narrower too. In as much that it matters on a CBTC railway sightlines might well be a problem. Probably the biggest issue will be seeing the platform mirrors or monitors, but this is such an obvious point that DLR is bound to have thought about it and have a fix.

It looks like this is an effect of the wide-angle photograph, distorting perspectives a bit.

100andthirty

6 bogies on an existing 3-artculated-car trains have shoegear. I would expect to see similar on the new trains hence 3 motor cars with shoegear on all motor bogies.

Mikey C

Established Member
It's a shame. Even as a middled aged balding bloke i still enjoy sitting in those front facing seats - much more enjoyable than looking at hideously ugly people's faces.
I head for the rear seats, there's a better chance of them being vacant!