Do train companies lose money from railcards?

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by faddy, 8 Jan 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlterEgo

AlterEgo Established Member

I also buy Anytime Day Returns with a Disabled Railcard. It works out, anually, as a tiny bit cheaper than an annual season, with the added perk of not having to "pay" for days where I work from home, or elsewhere, or on leave.

It also comes with none of the fear factor of losing a season worth thousands of pounds. And a better rate of Delay Repay!

2. fandroid

fandroid Member

The glory days are gone! When BR introduced the Family Railcard they had promotions where you could buy a single ticket for a whole family to anywhere in Britain for £5. It was very handy for 2 adults and 2 children being able to travel to Fort William from Reading (and then £5 for the journey back). But such promotions, and the Railcard discount, instill the habit of using rail for leisure journeys. There is long-term payback even after the holder has ceased to be eligible for any Railcard.

It might sound a bit like cheating but I travel extensively in Britain by train as a charity volunteer ( expenses paid). It would cost the charity a fortune if I (we) didn't have Senior Railcards.

3. faddy

faddy Member

But with the railcard only costs them 2/3 of a fortune?

Last edited: 10 Jan 2017
  4. Deerfold

Deerfold Established Member

Locally this has been the case in West Yorkshire for many years - half price fares until the August after your 18th birthday.

Or a local Metrocard valid on trains and buses for about the cost of an Adult bus only card. Just extended to anyone under 25 as well as students - previously anyone under 19 and students.

5. DelW

DelW Member

AIUI Senior cards are not valid in the morning peak anywhere in the London and south-east area. The earliest train on which I can use mine arrives in London at 10:13. Similar restrictions apply even when travelling against the peak flow (away from London).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.