• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do we need trains that accelerate faster and brake later?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtbox

There's an interesting debate to be had about whether the driver should be watching the line ahead as the train leaves, or follow the Underground practice of watching the platform-train interface until the train has left the platform. I understand Underground lines with cab monitors keep them working as the train leaves the platform.

It's a rule book requirement to look back along the train IF POSSIBLE when leaving a platform,
though the design of the cab layout on some units/loco's sometimes makes this impossible.
Should an incident happen and it was proven (station cctv etc) that the driver did not look back when they COULD of, they would be in deep water.
I always used to look back when it was possible to do so as I wanted to know I wasn't dragging someone along the platform. There have been a few times I've had to put the brake into emergency due to things happening on the platform as the train left, but as I stopped they never developed into a nasty situation, a pram laden with shopping tipping up towards the train as I looked back springs to mind.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bahnause

It's a rule book requirement to look back along the train IF POSSIBLE when leaving a platform,
though the design of the cab layout on some units/loco's sometimes makes this impossible.
The introduction of DOO in my (swiss) company (20 years ago) increased SPADs significantly. We had to introduce new safety equipment and additional driver training. It is still a bit of an issue.
Should an incident happen and it was proven (station cctv etc) that the driver did not look back when they COULD of, they would be in deep water.
We should look back if possible, but sometimes we have a 300m long train and we can't see further than to the first door... We rely completely on the door indicator in the cab.

43021HST

Established Member
The introduction of DOO in my (swiss) company (20 years ago) increased SPADs significantly. We had to introduce new safety equipment and additional driver training. It is still a bit of an issue.

We should look back if possible, but sometimes we have a 300m long train and we can't see further than to the first door... We rely completely on the door indicator in the cab.

Which is why I think this argument with Southern wanting to remove guards is a complete farce, drivers should be left to drive trains and be able to concentrate fully on the task at hand, leaving the guard to keep an eye on the passengers, but that's a different argument altogether ...

Status
Not open for further replies.