• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Does being stranded for several hours constitute false imprisonment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ComUtoR

Established Member
Not forgetting that not all trains have ramps on board.

Mathew S

Established Member
Very good in theory but those that have actual experience of them will tell you it is different in practice.
There's a difference between *feeling* precarious and *being* precarious. I feel precarious when I walk over the old bridge over the Wallgate lines in Wigan, doesn't mean there actually is anything remotely precarious about it.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
We sat on the trains fuming* and didn't even consider that maybe we should be taken off the trains.

Did we?

I was in that situation many years ago on Merseyrail and the guard was letting anyone who wanted to go out of his door and jump the fence. I stayed put so as to miss whatever the first lesson was.

No doubt with slam doors a blind eye was turned to anyone wishing to leave.

sheff1

Established Member
How did we survive in the "Bad Old Days"

We opened the slam doors on the side away from the running line to let some air in and/or to do our business out of. Depending on the location, some would jump down, climb the lineside fence and disappear to wherever - nobody else, including staff, would bat an eyelid at this.

Llanigraham

On Moderation

Great!
But they aren't kept on trains are they? So they will have to be sourced from storage, then loaded onto a suitable "rescue" train, along with adequate numbers of staff to deal with them. This of course presuming that there is a suitable train available to undertake the "rescue".
Do you think all that can be organised quickly?

TurbostarFan

On Moderation
Great!
But they aren't kept on trains are they? So they will have to be sourced from storage, then loaded onto a suitable "rescue" train, along with adequate numbers of staff to deal with them. This of course presuming that there is a suitable train available to undertake the "rescue".
Do you think all that can be organised quickly?
That's true, this is sometimes done but will take a long time. This is why this is only done as a last resort. Failing that the option of evacuating to track level and then back up onto the rescue train using ladders remains, this is why this option is usually used instead of using a train to train bridge.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Any experience of this? Or is this you just assuming again.

I can assure you that its a very limited amount of ramps that are suitable for this. I've seen it done with train mounted ramps, its is fraught with danger.
Depends how you define danger! Back in 2012 I went on a cruise. At one of the ports it dropped anchor out at sea and shuttle boats took us to port. On the return, the sea was very choppy. The little shuttle boat was bouncing up and down and side to side by at least a foot in relation to the ship. I'm confident that moving from one train to another by way of a ramp would be a lot less scary.

TheEdge

Established Member
That's true, this is sometimes done but will take a long time. This is why this is only done as a last resort. Failing that the option of evacuating to track level and then back up onto the rescue train using ladders remains, this is why this option is usually used instead of using a train to train bridge.

Well, that's jumping the gun somewhat. This thread is talking like evacuation is a day to day occurrence.

Evacuation away from a platform is really only done when every other avenue is exhausted or impossible. If I failed out of platform TIS, EBS, rescue, wrong direction moves, anything, would be tried before an on track, or even to train evacuation was settled on.

TurbostarFan

On Moderation
Well, that's jumping the gun somewhat. This thread is talking like evacuation is a day to day occurrence.

Evacuation away from a platform is really only done when every other avenue is exhausted or impossible. If I failed out of platform TIS, EBS, rescue, wrong direction moves, anything, would be tried before an on track, or even to train evacuation was settled on.
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that in any way. What I meant is that if a train is to be evacuated, it should be done within a reasonable amount of time. What you have said is true, but deciding on an evacuation and then taking ages is likely to lead to unauthorised, and not to mention extremely dangerous, self-detrainment by the passengers.

Status
Not open for further replies.