• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dogs on Rail Replacement Buses

Status
Not open for further replies.

crispy1978

I've found a couple of threads from 3/4 years ago, but wondering if the policy has changed?

Travelling over the Christmas/New Year period to family, and so far at least one service is subject to engineering works and therefore RRB is in operation.

We have a small dog (Jack Russell) - are the bus companies likely to allow him on? If not, what are we expected to do?

Incidentally, if a RRB service was put on last minute, how would you stand then, as you'd not have known there was an issue when you left home with your dog?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LowLevel

Established Member
They are carried at the driver's discretion - railways carry dogs as a courtesy without making charge so there's no guarantee your dog will be carried and the train operator won't be liable for alternative transport. You'll be left to sort it out, I would have thought.

Wolfie

Established Member
They are carried at the driver's discretion - railways carry dogs as a courtesy without making charge so there's no guarantee your dog will be carried and the train operator won't be liable for alternative transport. You'll be left to sort it out, I would have thought.

For pets you are of course wholly correct. Assistance dogs are a whole different kettle of fish! Should a RRB driver say no to a guidedog or hearing assistance dog then all hell will break loose (Equality Act etc etc).....

Antman

Established Member
I've found a couple of threads from 3/4 years ago, but wondering if the policy has changed?

Travelling over the Christmas/New Year period to family, and so far at least one service is subject to engineering works and therefore RRB is in operation.

We have a small dog (Jack Russell) - are the bus companies likely to allow him on? If not, what are we expected to do?

Incidentally, if a RRB service was put on last minute, how would you stand then, as you'd not have known there was an issue when you left home with your dog?

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't think you'll have a problem, it is up to the RRB driver but I never had reason to refuse a dog when I was bus driving. I assume your Jack Russell isn't likely to attack any other passengers and you'll be happy to clear up any 'accidents'?;)

bearhugger

I seem to remember as a bus driver that there was a ticket we could issue for dogs. It was a nominal fare of 20p i think. But even so, for a RRB I wouldn't create a fuss and allow travel unless there was an official type person at the door of the bus stopping people with dogs boarding.

Johncleesefan

I seem to remember as a bus driver that there was a ticket we could issue for dogs. It was a nominal fare of 20p i think. But even so, for a RRB I wouldn't create a fuss and allow travel unless there was an official type person at the door of the bus stopping people with dogs boarding.

I used to have to charge 80p for a pet explorer with stagecoach, one dog only. Don't know how relavent that rule is for rail replacement

LowLevel

Established Member
For pets you are of course wholly correct. Assistance dogs are a whole different kettle of fish! Should a RRB driver say no to a guidedog or hearing assistance dog then all hell will break loose (Equality Act etc etc).....

Quite. I don't think I've ever seen a Jack Russell assistance dog though :D

rwebster

You'll find that whilst the NRCoC specifically prohibits the carriage of dogs on rail replacement services, most staff coordinating rail replacement services will have no problem and do what they can to encourage reluctant bus/coach drivers to take them if there's a problem. Very similar with bikes.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There was a dog running up and down the last RRB I was on. Admittedly the bus was quiet but no-one objected.

lincolnshire

You'll find that whilst the NRCoC specifically prohibits the carriage of dogs on rail replacement services, most staff coordinating rail replacement services will have no problem and do what they can to encourage reluctant bus/coach drivers to take them if there's a problem. Very similar with bikes.

Also the same as above with prams/pushchairs, they can be carried if they are folded, but you often find they will go in below without folding if there is not too much luggage, but passengers must remember that its all down to the coach driver and how much room he has after the passengers luggage is loaded if he will take a pram without folding or a bike.

Dogs are different matter thats definitely down to the coach driver in the end as some will not take dogs under any circumstances except guide / service dogs. Some drivers can tell you about why they won,t take a dog, like one company who had a dog took ill and was sick on his coach, he had to stop and let the passengers off as they could,t stand the smell. The coach had to be professionally cleaned 3 times before they could get rid of the smell of sick so thats was another 3 days not been able to use the coach, so lack of been able to use it for work. So spare a thought as to why the coach driver refuses you taking a dog on his coach.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Also the same as above with prams/pushchairs, they can be carried if they are folded, but you often find they will go in below without folding if there is not too much luggage, but passengers must remember that its all down to the coach driver and how much room he has after the passengers luggage is loaded if he will take a pram without folding or a bike.

Dogs are different matter thats definitely down to the coach driver in the end as some will not take dogs under any circumstances except guide / service dogs. Some drivers can tell you about why they won,t take a dog, like one company who had a dog took ill and was sick on his coach, he had to stop and let the passengers off as they could,t stand the smell. The coach had to be professionally cleaned 3 times before they could get rid of the smell of sick so thats was another 3 days not been able to use the coach, so lack of been able to use it for work. So spare a thought as to why the coach driver refuses you taking a dog on his coach.

Antman

Established Member
Quite honestly I found dogs were far less trouble than humans!

Certainly when I was on rail replacement work I would do my level best to accommodate everybodys needs, they've had enough grief with their journey being disrupted without me causing them anymore.

34D

Established Member
Only if the driver has an allergy will you be refused, I would suggest.

Having driven and Co ordinated rrb's before I would be happy to carry you.

Antman

Established Member

So by the same logic if he had a human being be sick on his coach would he refuse to carry anymore of them?

Stampy

Quite. I don't think I've ever seen a Jack Russell assistance dog though :D

And we've never seen a Guide Cat either...... :)

guide-dog-gr.jpg

Guide Cat

Last edited:

BestWestern

Established Member
So by the same logic if he had a human being be sick on his coach would he refuse to carry anymore of them?

A human being has a good chance of being able to articulate that he/she is about to vomit and take some action to leave the coach or make use of the toilet/a recepticle etc.

richw

Veteran Member
Most of the rail replacements down this direction recently have been with recently withdrawn service buses. (non DDA Darts etc that have been withdrawn a tad early. I cant imagine any problem with service buses being used as they routinely carry pets
A bus with Vinyl flooring I would also expect to be more willing than say a brand new carpeted coach.

SouthStand

A human being has a good chance of being able to articulate that he/she is about to vomit and take some action to leave the coach or make use of the toilet/a recepticle etc.

Cats generally will give you about 10 seconds notice of them going to be sick in my experience. They emit a particular wowing sound, which usually gives us a chance to let them outside. (I have six cats :eek: )

Antman

Established Member
Most of the rail replacements down this direction recently have been with recently withdrawn service buses. (non DDA Darts etc that have been withdrawn a tad early. I cant imagine any problem with service buses being used as they routinely carry pets
A bus with Vinyl flooring I would also expect to be more willing than say a brand new carpeted coach.

Unless a dog was aggressive and a danger to other passengers I really cannot see any scenario in which a driver could reasonably refuse to carry one.

richw

Veteran Member
Unless a dog was aggressive and a danger to other passengers I really cannot see any scenario in which a driver could reasonably refuse to carry one.

I think one of the policies on service buses here is only 1 dog allowed on a bus at any time. Driver discretion is allowed though.

If its a jack Russell carry it in a handbag with the bag open

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Cats generally will give you about 10 seconds notice of them going to be sick in my experience. They emit a particular wowing sound, which usually gives us a chance to let them outside. (I have six cats :eek: )

I only ever had 4 cats at any one time, but the most fastidious of them would clean up after themselves by re-eating the product:lol: (and, no, they wouldn't then vomit again). My labradoodle does the same. Unfortunately, the human in drink does not do the same, as I can discover within 20 or so yards of my town centre door virtually every Sunday morning!

Antman

Established Member
I think one of the policies on service buses here is only 1 dog allowed on a bus at any time. Driver discretion is allowed though.

If its a jack Russell carry it in a handbag with the bag open

I heard that one dog rule when I was on the buses but if a second dog got on I would just advise the owner that there was a dog already on board but I never had any problems.

father_jack

The issue with dogs on a RRS is the same as taking a bicycle. The answer is and should remain NO. The literature and posters clearly say this.

Because if "friendly Freddie" takes you and canine chum/bicycle to where you're going and "rulebook Richie" won't take you back you're rather stuffed.

Had a drama to deal with once where a RRS took 3 schoolkids and their BMX bikes somewhere but the returning bus wouldn't carry them. Cue angry tattooed dad having to get a trailer out for his Mondeo in the rain and dark to rescue the kids....... "I want a manager..............." :(

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I reckon emergency RRB services are generally much more likely to carry bikes, dogs etc than planned engineering works RRBs. I once got a bike on an RRB part way through a journey- I had a bike reservation for the train that was replaced, it had been replaced at very short notice and I was travelling from one end of the country to the other!

LowLevel

Established Member
The issue with dogs on a RRS is the same as taking a bicycle. The answer is and should remain NO. The literature and posters clearly say this.

Because if "friendly Freddie" takes you and canine chum/bicycle to where you're going and "rulebook Richie" won't take you back you're rather stuffed.

Had a drama to deal with once where a RRS took 3 schoolkids and their BMX bikes somewhere but the returning bus wouldn't carry them. Cue angry tattooed dad having to get a trailer out for his Mondeo in the rain and dark to rescue the kids....... "I want a manager..............." :(

That's exactly my point in posting as I have. Always stick to quoting the rules, because your well intentioned 'it'll probably be alright' may cause someone problems in the long run when they could have sorted an alternative in the first place.

Antman

Established Member
That's exactly my point in posting as I have. Always stick to quoting the rules, because your well intentioned 'it'll probably be alright' may cause someone problems in the long run when they could have sorted an alternative in the first place.

But there is no rule that says you can't take dogs.

dk1

Veteran Member
Dogs (apart from Guide Dogs) have to travel in the luggage compartment underneath along with Stag & Hen parties, those who want to chat loudly on mobile phones, those who want to chat to me & smelly people :p

Antman

Established Member
Which is why there needs to be much more discretion and flexibility in unplanned disruption

Exactly, when I was doing rail replacement work I did my level best to get passengers, and whatever they had with them, to their destination. Those who just sat there shrugging their shoulders with a 'not my problem' attitude really need to ask themselves if they're in the right job.

gnolife

Established Member
Dogs (apart from Guide Dogs) have to travel in the luggage compartment underneath along with Stag & Hen parties, those who want to chat loudly on mobile phones, those who want to chat to me & smelly people :p

I'm sure any friends that you travel with will love being shoved in the luggage compartment of a coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.