• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Donald Trump and the aftermath of his presidency

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

miami

Established Member
Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!*

* Unless they have brown skin

miami

Established Member
Islamic Terror attacks on US soil (that caused deaths)

1993 shootings at CIA Headquarters, 2 deaths, perpetrator from Pakistan
1993 World Trade Center bombing, 6 deaths, perpetrator Kuwaiti
2001 September 11th attacks, 2,977 deaths, perpetrators 1 Egyptian, 2 from UAE, 1 from Lebanon, 15 from Saudi
2002 Los Angeles International Airport shooting, 2 deaths, perpetrator Egyptian
2009 Little Rock recruiting office shooting, 1 death, perpetrator american born
2013 Boston Marathon bombing, 5 deaths, American Citizens, perpetrators born in Krygzstan
2015 Chattanooga shootings, 5 deaths, American Citizen, perpetrator born in Kuwait
2015 San Bernardino attack, 14 deaths, perpetrators - 1 American born, 1 born in Pakistan, raised in Saudi Arabia
2016 Orlando nightclub shooting, 49 deaths, perpetrator American born

That's it.

'Logically' that means if you're going to ban people it's people from these 7 countries

Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Kuwait, UAE, Egypt, Krygztan and Lebanon

Places not to ban would be these 7 countries

Iraq, Syria, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, and Yemen

vrbarreto

Oh what a surprise

President Trump’s most recent executive order effectively bans citizens of seven Muslim-majority countries from entering the U.S. for at least 90 days — but some Muslim countries were spared from the order's blacklist, even though they have deep-seated ties to terrorism.

Conspicuously, Trump doesn't hold any business interests in any of the countries on the list, but holds major stakes in several of those excluded from it, records show.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...countries-linked-businesses-article-1.2957956

EM2

Established Member
The US Government has also confirmed that anyone holding dual nationality with any of those seven countries is also banned.
http://www.rawstory.com/2017/01/tru...ose-with-dual-nationalities-state-department/

As if the late Friday executive action by President Donald Trump hasn’t already caused massive problems with green card holders and visitors to the United States, the State Department is in the process of issuing an advisory saying the visa ban will also be applied to those who claim nationality in two countries.

According to the Wall Street Journal, the State Department is set to extend Friday’s immigration and travel lockdown to other visitors coming and going from the U.S.

According to the statement, the 90-day ban imposed by the president’s executive action extends beyond citizens of Iraq, Iran, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Libya and Yemen.

Should a visitor who hails from one of those countries, but travels on a passport from another country, attempt to leave of visit the U.S., they could find themselves stranded.

“Travelers who have nationality or dual nationality of one of these countries will not be permitted for 90 days to enter the United States or be issued an immigrant or nonimmigrant visa,” the statement said. “Those nationals or dual nationals holding valid immigrant or nonimmigrant visas will not be permitted to enter the United States during this period. Visa interviews will generally not be scheduled for nationals of these countries during this period.”

There is a report of a UK/Irani dual citizen who is unable to return home from Costa Rica because they have a flight connection in the US and her transit visa has been revoked.

Last edited:

vrbarreto

The US Government has also confirmed that anyone holding dual nationality with any of those seven countries is also banned.
http://www.rawstory.com/2017/01/tru...ose-with-dual-nationalities-state-department/

There is a report of a UK/Irani dual citizen who is unable to return home from Costa Rica because they have a flight connection in the US and her transit visa has been revoked.

Mo Farah has Dual British/Somali Nationality.. He's now banned from entering the United States

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
A politician seeing through election promises?

How unusual. :lol:

Much as I have a very strong dislike for just about everything he's done so far, particularly this latest, downright racist move which is going to wreck the lives of a great many people who formerly were settled in the US quite legally, he does appear to speak his mind and keep his promises.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Mo Farah has Dual British/Somali Nationality.. He's now banned from entering the United States

He lives there at present. So is effectively stuck there since they won't let him back in.

Any sports events etc. due to be held in the US might be at risk this year.

fowler9

Established Member
Much as I have a very strong dislike for just about everything he's done so far, particularly this latest, downright racist move which is going to wreck the lives of a great many people who formerly were settled in the US quite legally, he does appear to speak his mind and keep his promises.

Speaking your mind and keeping your promises isn't a good trait if you are a narcissistic head case.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Problem is, the great mass of public that voted him in are going to see these travel bans and everything else he has done as a good thing. He has persuaded them that they are at immediate risk from refugees and they won't believe rational media sources pointing out his lies.

I wonder which action he takes that will finally cross the line and repulse even his staunch supporters. Maybe the 20% increase in price of all imported products. Maybe when other countries start slapping on retaliatory travel bans. Maybe when urgent national issues are overlooked in favour of ego stroking 'big actions'. Or just maybe when he makes peace with Russia and starts making deals with them for military cooperation that freaks out all the Red Dawn lovers.

dgl

Established Member
Trumps biggest problem is that whilst he crows on about manufacturing stuff in the USA and that people naturally support that, the problem is making stuff in America costs more and as people have got used to the benefits in price that foreign manufacture brings will price be seen as more important than jobs?

The supposed extra jobs created making stuff in America don't count for anything if people can't afford to buy the product.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Trumps biggest problem is that whilst he crows on about manufacturing stuff in the USA and that people naturally support that, the problem is making stuff in America costs more and as people have got used to the benefits in price that foreign manufacture brings will price be seen as more important than jobs?

The supposed extra jobs created making stuff in America don't count for anything if people can't afford to buy the product.

Trump is hoping that American people will benefit from an increase in prosperity by bringing manufacturing back to the USA. He will probably find it a lot harder than he expects.

dgl

Established Member
Also possibly he's realised that wars create a lot of employment and that's his plan.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Also possibly he's realised that wars create a lot of employment and that's his plan.

I don't think Trump likes wars. He is a populist. The American people are sick of bringing their countrymen back home in coffins, at least for this generation.

I strongly expect the Trump administration to be ultra-introspective and isolationist.

pemma

Veteran Member

Updates

BBC News said:
A US judge has issued a temporary halt to the deportation of visa holders or refugees stranded at airports following President Trump's executive order.
The ruling, from federal Judge Ann Donnelly, in New York, prevented the removal from the US of people with approved refugee applications, valid visas, and "other individuals... legally authorised to enter the United States".
The emergency ruling also said there was a risk of "substantial and irreparable injury" to those affected.

Her ruling is not on the constitutionality of Mr Trump's executive order. What will happen to those still held at airports remains unclear.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38786660

BBC News said:
(Canadian PM Justin) Trudeau's office says Canadian dual nationals are exempt.

"We have been assured that Canadian citizens travelling on Canadian passports will be dealt with in the usual process," a spokeswoman for Mr Trudeau said in an emailed statement.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38786656

BBC News said:
Prime Minister Theresa May does "not agree" with Donald Trump's refugee ban and will appeal to the US if it affects British citizens, Downing Street says.

She had been criticised for refusing to condemn the move, instead saying it was up to the US to decide its own policy.

The order halts all refugee admissions and has temporarily barred people from seven Muslim-majority countries.

Iraq-born Tory MP Nadhim Zahawi, who is affected by the ban, said it was cruel and he hoped it would be reversed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38786576

nidave

There is a petition to stop the official state visit of Trump to the UK.
Its quite a clever statement, its not a outright ban on him coming to the UK. Just to stop the State visit.
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/171928/

Donald Trump should be allowed to enter the UK in his capacity as head of the US Government, but he should not be invited to make an official State Visit because it would cause embarrassment to Her Majesty the Queen.

The fact trump does not like to be snubbed this is a great way to get up his nose, even if its not successful. We all know how much he wants to be loved.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
There is a petition to stop the official state visit of Trump to the UK.
Its quite a clever statement, its not a outright ban on him coming to the UK. Just to stop the State visit.
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/171928/

The fact trump does not like to be snubbed this is a great way to get up his nose, even if its not successful. We all know how much he wants to be loved.

And a very popular petition. I signed it 9 minutes ago - at which time it had 67K signatures. I posted on Facebook to say I'd signed it, and then looked back and it was at 73K signatures. Now it's 78K. 11 thousand people signed in 9 minutes!

deltic

Established Member
And a very popular petition. I signed it 9 minutes ago - at which time it had 67K signatures. I posted on Facebook to say I'd signed it, and then looked back and it was at 73K signatures. Now it's 78K. 11 thousand people signed in 9 minutes!

Its been signed by over 50,000 people an hour - on its way to become fastest petition to each 1million

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

I've signed it as a "second best" option. I personally believe he should be banned from the UK until he rescinds any blanket bans[1] he has on any UK citizens happening to hold dual nationality of the listed countries from entering the US.

I also think the "special relationship" should die until a more progressive President is elected. We need the EU more than ever.

[1] If there is intelligence about a specific individual being involved in terrorism, I am happy for him to ban that individual only.

Last edited:

St Rollox

That's when the fun really starts.
When he can't deliver to his own voters.
They'll listen to fairy stories about walls and Islam for so long and then say, "where's the jobs you promised".
He might walk away at that point.

Howardh

Established Member
That petition's going up 100 every couple of seconds!

But the problem with petitions is, two million might sign. 60 million haven't. But good luck to them!