• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Dot" test on an assessment day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

L.M_DannyC

Hello all!

In February this year I went to an assessment day for a Senior Conductor role with a TOC. One of the first tests I took was something people describe as the "dot test" Unfortunately I failed this test.

What I want to do is practice this test so I'm more prepared for when the next round of assessments come round.

I've been told this test is available to download off the Internet but I can't seem to find it anywhere!
Could anyone point me in the right direction as to where I'd be able to find it? A link would be a big help :D

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

387star

On Moderation
I failed this test too.

I have a job in the railways now but not conductor... I also use the practice material very useful for next time

L.M_DannyC

Yea I currently work on the railway too, just waiting for some more positions to come up.

Quite surprised I failed the dots but there's always a next time eh :)

Established Member
It's pot luck if you pass to be honest.

Some of the longest serving guards nowadays failed it originally ;)

Latecomer

It's pot luck if you pass to be honest.
It's not pot luck at all. That approach suggests that practice and preparation is pointless when in fact the opposite is true. Practice the dot test for a short time each day for one week and you will see a significant improvement both in terms of how far down the page you get and with accuracy.

People fail the assessments generally due to lack of preparation and/or practice.

Established Member
I think it is a degree of pot luck. Some practise is good, but I noticed some trolley staff I worked with practising for weeks who failed. While I agree in principle with a concentration test, I feel it is simply used to whittle down numbers - some of the best guards failed it originally, whilst some of the worst passed it first time.

387star

On Moderation
I agree I think if you practise properly you should pass after all you only need to reach a certain standard. I'm sure I would pass next time because I did not prepare myself enough last time... concentrated too much on making sure I didn't mark the wrong dot combinations than missing some of the correct ones out and therefore wasn't really understanding the point of the test!

Beveridges

Established Member
I tend to disagree & admit I was absolute garbage at the Dot test on my first attempt then after numerous practice attempts I was getting exceptional scores!

First attempt - Completed about 1300 cells and made about 15 mistakes.
Attempt just before the tests - 1750 cells and 0 mistakes.

The same goes for Reactions. I made a program very similar to the real thing using VB (I no longer have it in case anyone asks). I started off really bad at it, but soon got fast & when it came to doing the real thing the reactions machine felt really slow and I managed to keep up with the computer at it's full speed without losing it once.

Practice can increase performance by 10X or more, but only if you practice the right way. For example, I doubt playing "Bop It" really does much to help with the reactions test, and doubt Word Searches help much with the Dot test. (both methods recommended by the assessment centres)
The best way to practice is to practice simulations of the real thing, repeatedly. It is probably too effective, in that almost anyone can pass if they put in the right practice.

Other tests can be practiced but not as easily. Glop test- Just read about Sandite trains on Wikipedia to gain an understanding of them and you're already 20% of the way there before the test even starts.
Structured Interview- The questions are posted all over this forum.
Dials test - Just make your own dials and questions like the real ones
Mechanical Comprehension- Books available will cover at least 25% of the questions, you can get good amount just by 'educated guessing', even wild guessing, and you're probably already over the pass mark if you answer all 38 questions.

Last edited:

Does anyone know how these are actually marked and what the standard for the various jobs on the railways is?

It gives a lot of interesting stats at the end of the test but leaves you non the wiser as to if you passed or failed!!!! <D

Beveridges

Established Member
Test scores are unknown so the best thing to do is match or beat the 'practice score' of people who have passed

GB

Established Member
With these types of tests there is little point in worrying about what the pass mark might be. Just practice and do the best you can absolutely do.

Sparkybill

Hi everyone, first post on the forum so please be gentle!

I have been reading loads of handy information on here so thought I'd join in with a quick question.

Does anyone know of any simulations for the reactions test? I have been practising on 'Bop It' and computer games but a dedicated sim would be great.

Obviously I would like to work on this skill as well as the GB and SCAAT tests and yes I am another 'awaiting shortlisting'.

Cheers all and thanks for all the helpful comments on the site. :)

LCC106

Established Member
Hi Sparkybill and welcome! Great to see you've been reading around. I just kept practising on Bop It. Seem to think someone did say you could play Bop It on the iphone too, but not sure about a dedicated sim / app...

I take it you've managed to download the GB programme?

Trick is to keep practising in all areas rather than think "I can do that, I'll move on to something else now" and lose the knack...

Best of luck to you.

Sparkybill

Cheers for the welcome LCC106. I definitely don't feel complacent and I practise whenever I can.

Strange thing is my GB seems to be getting better while SCAAT is getting worse!:roll:

Ah well back to practise, thanks again for your advice and best wishes.

W230

Established Member
Keep practising. My GB scores improved massively over time, my SCAAT scores less so but they did still improve.

I found when I was tired though my SCAAT scores dropped alot more than my GB!

Sparkybill

Cheers W230, unfortunately I learned late yesterday that my application has been put 'on hold' due to volume of applications.

Ah well, I still live in hope, one day maybe.......:|

Status
Not open for further replies.