• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Drinking alcohol on a station platform - is it permitted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PR1Berske

Established Member
Drinking alcohol should be banned on the railways like smoking.
Transpennine at the weekend is full of drunk loud middle aged men and it's really annoying.
No it shouldn't.
That is your observation, it may not be factual.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dk1

Veteran Member
I'm not really clear on why they're supposed to be ashamed of it. If I'm drinking on the train and haven't finished it by the time I arrive at my destination I'll quite happily finish up while walking through the station. I'd do the same with a can of Coke. I tend not to drink once I get off at Glasgow stations because there are often people enforcing the bye-laws, but if I didn't know about the bye-law then I probably would do.
It’s when they know it’s not permitted & still insist on doing it simply because they want the attention.

takno

Established Member
It’s when they know it’s not permitted & still insist on doing it simply because they want the attention.
I suspect it's because they want the drink. What is it that leads you to insist on some kind of more complex motivation?

Established Member
I suspect it's because they want the drink. What is it that leads you to insist on some kind of more complex motivation?
I will frequently walk down the platform with a can. I wouldn't (normally) crack one open on a platform, but if I've not finished the one I was drinking onboard, I'm certainly not leaving it behind as that would be littering! :D

Established Member
I've read the whole thread and I'm still struggling to see what the problem is. Can't you just do as you're told?
Why would someone want to do something they were told when it isn't illegal nor prohibited?

This is how people become victims of abuse of power if they do everything they are told to do. It is absolutely not the way to live. People have to be held to account and challenged on such behaviour.

PR1Berske

Established Member
Some people get off on sticking two fingers up at authority.

It's a balancing act. Allow authority too much power, and the ordinary person has nowhere to go. Allow the opposition to much leeway, and order collapses. Somewhere in the middle is how things should be.

Drinking a can of lager on a railway platform is not exactly throwing the first stone, let alone sticking up two fingers.

Wolfie

Established Member
It's a balancing act. Allow authority too much power, and the ordinary person has nowhere to go. Allow the opposition to much leeway, and order collapses. Somewhere in the middle is how things should be.

Drinking a can of lager on a railway platform is not exactly throwing the first stone, let alone sticking up two fingers.
So what if l drink bitter? lol

duncanp

Established Member
Transpennine at the weekend is full of drunk loud middle aged men and it's really annoying.

But how far down this road do you go?

if you want to get rid of all annoying passengers on the railways, then what about people who talk loudly on mobile phones, noisy children and those who put luggage on seats so that other people have to stand.

If there are issues with specific trains they should be dealt with locally.

If a train company like Transpennine chooses to promote a Real Ale Trail, you can hardly be surprised when people use the trains at weekends to go and, er, drink real ale, with all the consequences.

greyman42

Established Member
The vast majority of drunk people on Transpennine at weekends will not have got drunk on the train, but probably in Newcastle or York.

Llandudno

Established Member
Best ban mobile phones (as the weekends are full of kids playing music at full blast through them) and it’s really annoying.

Best ban all babies and small children. As the weekend trains are full of screaming children and it’s really annoying.

Eating any food should be banned as well — the weekends are full of people with their stinking Burger King/KFC/McDonalds and it’s really annoying.

Sleeping on trains should be banned as well as evening trains are full of people asleep snoring loudly and it’s really annoying.
You can’t beat the recognisable smell of KFC/Big Mac/Kebab/Chips/Greggs Take Bake/Spilt Coffee and Pepsi and other unmentionable odours on a Saturday evening on Merseyrail between Liverpool and Chester!

It’s something I have missed during lockdown, let’s hope it returns soon!

RH Liner

But how far down this road do you go?

if you want to get rid of all annoying passengers on the railways, then what about people who talk loudly on mobile phones, noisy children and those who put luggage on seats so that other people have to stand.

If there are issues with specific trains they should be dealt with locally.

If a train company like Transpennine chooses to promote a Real Ale Trail, you can hardly be surprised when people use the trains at weekends to go and, er, drink real ale, with all the consequences.
Once, travelling from Alfreton to Manchester on a crowded train, I asked a lady if she would mind moving her luggage off the seat so I could sit down. She complied, and eventually we got talking. It turned out we had a lot in common. At Manchester I helped her with her luggage and got a kiss for my pains. I did have the option of standing and chuntering under my breath, but was glad I didn’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.