• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DRS Trainee drivers wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saltire

How did you get on Saltire? I was rooting for you m8.
Thanks Malky, like Journeyman before me I got through the computer based tests without too much stress but thought I had seriously messed the MMI - just had a phone call to tell me I'd passed!:D:D:D:D:D:D

Thanks for the support - its greatly appreiciated

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bluebri

Interview done, now the agonising wait. Good luck to everyone else and fingers crossed. Have to say, DRS's HR have been fab through this. The whole recruitment has moved along swiftly and have kept everyone up to speed. Kudos.

Saltire

Interview done, now the agonising wait. Good luck to everyone else and fingers crossed. Have to say, DRS's HR have been fab through this. The whole recruitment has moved along swiftly and have kept everyone up to speed. Kudos.

Same sentiments here Bluebri - can I ask were you had your interview and what depot you've applied for?

Journeyman

Established Member
Same sentiments here Bluebri - can I ask were you had your interview and what depot you've applied for?

I went for Grangemouth first choice and Motherwell second and was interviewed yesterday. I think I got on alright, but the waiting is doing my head in. I know there were more interviews today so I guess it might still be a while before we hear.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
No news yet. This is doing my head in. :(

Rooster

I've been waiting for 3 weeks since my db schenker interview heard nothing yet and hr say it's still being mulled over , the joys of wondering if you have a new career

Bluebri

I went for Grangemouth first choice and Motherwell second and was interviewed yesterday. I think I got on alright, but the waiting is doing my head in. I know there were more interviews today so I guess it might still be a while before we hear.

Blimey, and I thought I was bad lol Patience Journeyman hahahaha. They said to me they were interviewing up until the end of next week. They did say that some slots for Medicals were already booked in, so to be ready to get the call for that. However, the course dates were originally planned for end of July, but due to changing circumstances and requirements, this could now be August or even September. One thing I'm sure of though, is that successful people will be notified within the next few weeks. Just a case of sitting tight and praying for all your worth that you've done enough. Fingers crossed for everyone.

SkinnyDave

Established Member

What routes do Grangemouth do?

Bluebri

Not heard either. I am giving it until the end of next week though before I allow my nerves to get the better of me lol. Although, I do have to confess a smell amount of wall climbing is going on.

Journeyman

Established Member
Hi Guys anyone heard anything yet?

No, nothing. I sent them an email earlier in the week in an attempt to hurry things up but no joy so far. It's driving me nuts. :(
Got a rejection letter this morning. :(

Journeyman,

Did your letter state anything about a second phase of recruitment? I was advised about being placed 'On Hold' until the second phase in early 2015 - no idea what that means beyond what is says. They did say something within the interview about splitting the intake - and so they are!

Perhaps Bluebri or Saltire have some good news though?

Bluebri

Sorry to hear about the guys who haven't got through. Got the offer pending medical and security clearance, start end of October. Have been told that a number will be pooled and taken on in another tranche next year. Can't tell you all how made up I am. Time to knuckle down and take the opportunity with both hands.

danbarnstall

Sorry to hear about the guys who haven't got through. Got the offer pending medical and security clearance, start end of October. Have been told that a number will be pooled and taken on in another tranche next year. Can't tell you all how made up I am. Time to knuckle down and take the opportunity with both hands.

Well done mate delighted for you.

Know how hard you've worked to break into the industry.

Saltire

Journeyman,

Did your letter state anything about a second phase of recruitment? I was advised about being placed 'On Hold' until the second phase in early 2015 - no idea what that means beyond what is says. They did say something within the interview about splitting the intake - and so they are!

Perhaps Bluebri or Saltire have some good news though?

Hi 31233, I got the same letter as you. I called HR for some feedback and was told that they had split the intake, I had been successful at all stages of the process, but unfortunately for me there were no positions available in Scotland at this time. There would be an intake in spring/summer 2015 but as yet they have no idea how many or where the positions will be - fingers crossed.
Well done to Bluebri on his news :)

Definitely - well done Bluebri - will be nice to hear of anyone else who got through to a post this time. Will wait to see what if anything this second tranche brings for myself next year then - am happy in just having got through the process, especially as a nerve-wracking first attempt. Good luck to anyone else who's made the cut - maybe we'll join you one day!

Journeyman

Established Member
Sadly I wasn't offered the "on hold for 2015" thing - my letter was a straightforward rejection. :( However, when I got some feedback, it was all pretty positive and there was only really one thing I fluffed at the interview, in the flexibility/resilience area. I can think of what it was, it was about the only question that slightly flummoxed me and I had to think of something on the spot for. Clearly it wasn't quite good enough. Under normal circumstances for most of the jobs I've gone for it probably would have been, but they can obviously afford to reject anyone even slightly less than perfect.

It doesn't help that they seem to have lost some business in Scotland - clearly there weren't many jobs going.

I won't deny I was extremely disappointed indeed, but hey, for a first attempt at this, there's plenty I can be happy with. I've got the psychometrics out the way and I really did get pretty close. I have my ScotRail interview coming up on Wednesday, so for now I really need to focus on that and make sure I brush up on the weak areas, but I can go into it feeling quite confident I think. I've also got a six-month contract in finance lined up to keep the wolf from the door if I don't get it.

DRS have also said they'd welcome an application from me in the future, so I'll take that as a hint that they think I'll make the grade one day.

Onwards and upwards, my friends, onwards and upwards - thanks to everyone on this thread who has helped and encouraged me. While my test passes are valid, I'm going to keep trying, and hopefully I'll get there.

Last edited:

Good luck with your interview Journeyman - you sound pretty focused, and the long process with DRS has probably been good preparation for any future application - as you're fresh from it, it will no doubt help on Wednesday! Fingers crossed for you with that.

Bluebri

Thanks for all the support and well wishes guys. Anyone getting to the interviews had done very well and I'm sure they'll get there in the end one way or the other. I asked them about the numbers and they said there were just over 600 applicants and there are 12 on the course, so getting to the interview was well done indeed. I literally can't wait for October to come around and get started with all the rules and regs and stay loading my head with a ton of new info.

benno79

well done bluebri, I know you've been trying for a little while. Hope it all goes well for you :)

Malky80

I went from Scotland to Crewe for the 1st stage and passed it. I was then invited to Carlisle for the 2nd stage. I got no response, so contacted them by phone and was told I passed, but due to the high number of passes, I wasn't being invited to Watford. DRS HR said the letters would be sent out. I'm still waiting for mine after 3 phone calls. I have no written proof to state that I have passed the 1st half of the OPC. I'd like to think that after the considerable expense and time invested I would at least be sent a letter of rejection. Do you think it's worth contacting DRS HR again?

Saltire

Hi All, I'm just refreshing this thread to send best wishes to all who have just started as Trainee Drivers with DRS, well done for getting to the starting line and good luck for the coming months!:):):):)

Bluebri

Cheers for the well wishes guys. So far so good. Have seen or heard of no evidence of the doom and gloom about DRS that keeps being bandied about here. In fact quite the opposite. This is a well run company with a well motivated and happy workforce. The qualified guys who have joined from other companies on my course have corroborated that and I can confidently say I have had a lucky escape not getting other jobs with some of the other companies on the face of it. For those that are looking, don't hesitate about applying to DRS and pay no heed to the non specific bad mouthing that goes on. I'm not saying that it will always be a bed of roses, but on genuine evidence so far, DRS it's a great company to work for.

Status
Not open for further replies.