• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dunblane - Perth - Dundee - Aberdeen electrification updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

najaB

Veteran Member
I will try and provide a link and a accessible format later.

Here you go:

Project Details
OP Code154396, 171845, 171848 & 171849
Output DriverDecarbonisation of traction on the Scottish Network
Operating RouteScotland
DateJuly 22
SponsorAlastair Holmes

Output Driver Detail
Network Rail's Decarbonisation Action Plan for electrifying rail traction for passenger services by 2035 is a steadfast commitment of Scottish Government's Climate Change Plan and is important for carbon reduction commitments. Traction Power is a key component in the rolling programme, with the objective of removing diesel passenger trains from the Scottish rail network and enabling operation of EMUs or BEMUs.

Transport Scotland Required Outputs
Transport Scotland has remitted Network Rail to develop an electrified network that supports the Scottish Government's Climate Change Plan by providing additional electrical capacity on the rail network.

Scope of Works
The scope of the project is:
  • The provision of four new Feeder Stations in the East of Scotland to support full electrification (enabling operation of Electric Multiple Units), or through partial electrification (enabling operation of Battery-Electric Multiple Units. At Currie and Portobello (where the existing feeder station will be decommissioned) the electrical capacity of the existing network will be increased, which supports additional electric passenger and freight services
  • The four locations are: Thornton (171845), Portobello (171849), Tweedbank (171848) and Currie (154396)
The project is fully authorised and is proceeding to the detail design stage. All the National Grid connection contracts are in place and Scottish Power Energy Networks is the delivery agent on behalf of the National Grid Company.

Interfaces and Assumptions
  • The project is a component part of the broader Rolling Programme of Decarbonisation
  • The project supports Fife Phase 1, Levenmouth, Borders Decarbonisation and the Edinburgh area electrical capacity increase

Activities and Milestones (NR)
MilestoneDescriptionAspirational DateStatus
Agree single optionOption selection completedASeptember 2021Achieved
Approval in principleAsset Manager accepts designANovember 2021Achieved
Contract AwardContract signed and instructedAJanuary 2022Achieved
Portobello Feeder StationNational grid connectionANovember 2024On Schedule
Thornton Feeder StationNational grid connectionANovember 2024On Schedule
Tweedbank Feeder StationNational grid connectionAJune 2024On Schedule
Currie Feeder StationNational grid connectionAAugust 2023Revised

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

InOban

Established Member
I'm glad to hear that Currie is on the way. Whether, with bi and tri-mode locos on the way, they will bother wiring the Sub must be in doubt. Needs quite a few parapets as well as a lot of devegetation, neither of which will be popular with the natives.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
3) I think Marshall Meadows is an existing one from ECML electrification but planned for upgrade
Going to SFCs because there is a 132 kV supply not 400 kV.

the four locations are: Thornton (171845), Portobello (171849), Tweedbank (171848) and Currie (154396)
The project is fully authorised and is proceeding to the detail design stage. All the National Grid connection contracts are in place and Scottish Power Energy Networks is the delivery agent on behalf of the National Grid Company.

The bit in bold is what I love.

snowball

Established Member
Some evidence of the current work at Currie is visible on Google Streetview and I posted a link in post #207 of this thread.

Elderslie/Ferguslie seems to have been known by the former name until the equipment went in last August and by the latter name since then.

There is certainly a feeder at Eglinton Street and it was upgraded last year. Maybe there are other older feeder stations in the Glasgow area that are not listed by @GRALISTAIR? Maybe they have lower input voltage?

The £120M contract announced in July last year includes six feeder stations described as "new". Four of these are the four listed in #121, the other two are Elderslie/Ferguslie and Newton, not shown in #121 because #121 is confined to the East of Scotland. I think three of the six are at existing sites (Currie, Newton, Portobello) but still count as new stations. I think Newton is the next one due after Currie.

@GRALISTAIR's list of proposed new feeder stations is, I think, mostly taken from a map in a presentation which did not show west or south Scotland. From studying maps of the rail network in relation to the Open Infrastructure Map, I think there are likely to be feeder stations eventually at Kilmarnock, Sanquhar and Dumfries for the G&SW main line, plus possibly something to cover Ayr-Girvan.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
@GRALISTAIR's list of proposed new feeder stations is, I think, mostly taken from a map in a presentation which did not show west or south Scotland. From studying maps of the rail network in relation to the Open Infrastructure Map, I think there are likely to be feeder stations eventually at Kilmarnock, Sanquhar and Dumfries for the G&SW main line, plus possibly something to cover Ayr-Girvan.
Correct sir. BTW I have updated my OP to reflect what you have said. Thanks

I took the existing from the 2009 document RUS: Rail electrification. Page 27 there is a map of all the grid feeders then extant in the UK as of 2009.

I am pleased to present this Electrification Strategy, which forms part of the Network Route Utilisation Strategy (RUS). The Network RUS looks at issues affecting the whole network rather than in specific geographical areas. Approximately 40 percent of the network in terms of track miles is currently electrified, though several main lines, much of the crosscountry network, as well as key freight links and diversionary routes remain un-electrified. This document therefore sets out a potential longer-term strategic approach to further electrification of the network. Electrification presents a huge opportunity for the industry, for those who use the railway and for the country as a whole. Our analysis shows the long-term benefits of electrifying key parts of the network, in terms of both reducing its ongoing cost to the country and improving its environmental performance, are significant. Governments in London, Edinburgh and Cardiff are looking to reduce both the operational cost of the railway and overall carbon emissions, as well as encouraging modal shift. Our analysis identifies the benefits a strategic approach to electrification would bring in each of these areas.

Attachments

• RUS Electrification 2009.pdf
    4.6 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:

snowball

Established Member
Anyone know if any feeder stations were added in connection with the reopening of Airdrie-Bathgate or the recent electrification of routes between Edinburgh, Glasgow and Stirling?

Status
Not open for further replies.