• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dunblane - Perth - Dundee - Aberdeen electrification updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morayshire

Is Dundee's Elon Musk concerned about the same issues as in the second quoted article in #58?
Yes, the bridge at Fort Street is the cause of his concern.

Also and with credit going to the poster "James Wemyss" over on the Scot-Rail forum who unearthed the following:

Here is the Approved Planning Application for Bryanton Bridge:
https://planning.angus.gov.uk/onlin...s.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=RKQ3AKCF08200
There is also an Approved Planning Application for Nether Dysart Bridge
which is in the Montrose area:
https://planning.angus.gov.uk/onlin...s.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=RKRM30CF08200
I'm left wondering if Network Rail are going for the "easy" ones first to give them a start on the overall programme plus give them more time to work on the more complicated ones.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

(Not intending to “shoot the messenger”, but…) is there any train for the wires to stop at Ladybank?

I thought it was fairly open countryside from there to the Tay Bridge, seems odd to me not to continue electrification to at least Leuchars (if not Wormit, since presumably there’d be the capacity to switch modes on the move)?

(I can understand Kirkcaldy being a limit due to the tunnel at Kinghorn, for example)

Is this purely a cost thing, or are there obstacles I’ve forgotten about in old age?
Perhaps the cheapest solution to Kinghorn tunnel would be to recover some land from the riverbsnk , carry out a new alignment and seal up the tunnel. New tunnel; can be quite expensive.

najaB

Veteran Member
Perhaps the cheapest solution to Kinghorn tunnel would be to recover some land from the riverbsnk , carry out a new alignment and seal up the tunnel. New tunnel; can be quite expensive.
I don't see that as being feasible. The line is some distance away from the shore and there's a very large vertical displacement as well (not to mention existing buildings tight up against the railway) so it would be quite a substantial new alignment. It would almost certainly involve a new station at Kinghorn as well.

In comparison, the cost of reboring the tunnel would be peanuts.

I don't see that as being feasible. The line is some distance away from the shore and there's a very large vertical displacement as well (not to mention existing buildings tight up against the railway) so it would be quite a substantial new alignment. It would almost certainly involve a new station at Kinghorn as well.

In comparison, the cost of reboring the tunnel would be peanuts.
Perhaps a compulsory purchase of a bit of tbe golf course would be a more popular solution

If a tunnel rebore was indeed peanuts it would involve closure of the line. Probably not an ideal solution.

najaB

Veteran Member
If a tunnel rebore was indeed peanuts it would involve closure of the line. Probably not an ideal solution.
There will probably have to be some substantial line closures anyway so that's not a game stopper. Services for points further north could be routed around the Fife Circle to maintain connectivity.

gingertom

Established Member
There will probably have to be some substantial line closures anyway so that's not a game stopper. Services for points further north could be routed around the Fife Circle to maintain connectivity.
for perspective, anyone know what the cost of the Farnsworth rebore was? Kinghorn wouldn't be much different. I heard a figure of £10m-£12m.

A rebore could give W12 clearance as well, ticking yet another box.

Davester50

Yes, the bridge at Fort Street is the cause of his concern.

Also and with credit going to the poster "James Wemyss" over on the Scot-Rail forum who unearthed the following:

Here is the Approved Planning Application for Bryanton Bridge:
https://planning.angus.gov.uk/onlin...s.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=RKQ3AKCF08200
There is also an Approved Planning Application for Nether Dysart Bridge
which is in the Montrose area:
https://planning.angus.gov.uk/onlin...s.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=RKRM30CF08200
I'm left wondering if Network Rail are going for the "easy" ones first to give them a start on the overall programme plus give them more time to work on the more complicated ones.
That part of the line is bad for flooding, so I wonder if it's both that and electrification driving it?

snowball

Established Member
Press release, not actually mentioning electrification, but about a part of the related A2CB upgrade at Barnhill, Perth:

Major investment near Perth station will help speed up journey times and increase capacity on the route between the Central Belt and the North East.

Network Rail engineers delivering £6.8 million of enhancement work near Perth station recently completed a major milestone that will speed up journey times and also increase capacity on to the route.

The project is part of ongoing investment by the Scottish Government in Scotland’s Railway that will help reduce rail journey times between the Central Belt and the North East, improve connectivity and enhance capacity for both passenger and freight trains.

Starting in March 2022, this initial phase involved track work east of Perth station at Barnhill, historically a constrained section of the route next to the River Tay.

Working with contractor the Rail Systems Alliance, Network Rail undertook a nine-month programme of alignment work to replace a curved section of track by installing a new single line and also remodelling the junction by replacing switches and crossings. This allows an increase in line speed for trains from 20mph to 50mph on this part of the route

Speeding up journey times also improves capacity for more freight services to be introduced to the network.

Chris Sharkey, Network Rail programme manager, said: “Completion of work at Barnhill represents a significant part of enhancement work that provides tangible benefits for our passengers and freight customers.

“Ultimately, the work enables smoother, faster journey times and more resilience on the network, particularly during times of disruption.

“This was a challenging location to work in, given it is constricted by the existing railway infrastructure and I’m delighted the team achieved this key milestone on time.

“I would like to thank our lineside neighbours at Barnhill for their patience during the delivery of this vital improvement work to Scotland’s Railway.”

Damian Briody, Transport Scotland’s head of rail projects and technical services, said: “This latest Scottish Government investment in Scotland’s Railway is another example of our efforts to reduce journey times on this important route between the north east and the Central Belt.

“These enhancements will improve connectivity for both passenger and freight services which, in turn, will help encourage more people out of their cars and more companies to opt for rail freight over road transportation.”

With work at Barnhill complete, the team is focused on the next phase of activity - installing a new cross over south of Dunblane station to further improve operational resilience.

The existing turnback facilities for trains at Dunblane constrain the timetable and network resilience in this location. By installing the new cross over, this will help eliminate these issues by reducing the time is takes for a train to move up the line and significantly improve the diversionary capability when work is completed in advance of the May 2024 timetable.

Went past bryanton bridge today on the A92, the old bridge is gone and new one is in the process of being rebuilt.

Also, the old platform 3 at arbroath has some vegetation removed from the line with some new looking sleepers stacked up in the old yard. Any developments, to do with this?

Morayshire

I believe that the sleepers in the yard are to do with the Network Rail maintenance compound in the old goods yard.

They have also removed two overbridges completely on the Montrose side of Inverkeilor as well rebuilding another bridge further along.

snowball

Established Member
From ArmcoGiffen's website:

28/04/2023
AmcoGiffen has completed its first scheme of a new programme on behalf of Network Rail, which involved the full demolition of two overbridges on the East Coast Northern Line (Edinburgh to Aberdeen).

The Aberdeen to Central Belt project (A2CB) is an eight-year programme of rail electrification involving 81 miles of twin-track electrification and gauge clearance work to help provide significant carbon reduction for Scotland. The interventions on this line are being delivered collaboratively with Story Contracting.

Project name: A2CB Ironshill overbridge and Lunan Mill Bridge (originally separate projects but brought together due to their proximity)

Client: Network Rail (Scotland’s Railway)

Contract: Design and Construction

Location: Inverkeilor, situated midway between Arbroath and Montrose

Duration: Four weeks (11 January 2023 to 10 February 2023)
Headline Scope and Design

Over-bridge superstructure removals

Design
Statutory approvals
Temporary works
Demolition
General civil engineering
Environmental reinstatements

AmcoGiffen coordinated detailed design with support from supply partners AECOM who developed the original concept as part of a separate commission for the A2CB programme.

The works were permissible under Network Rail’s permitted development rules and the original structures did not have a recognised built heritage value.

There's a good deal more at the link.

snowball

Established Member
The two bridges mentioned, Ironshill and Lunan Mill, appear to be just north of Inverkeilor. In the "Appendix D" document (see the OP) one is listed for demolition, the other for redeck, but now both have been demolished. Meanwhile just south of Inverkeilor there's the work to Bryanton Bridge (see #78-9, #102).

Morayshire

The two bridges mentioned, Ironshill and Lunan Mill, appear to be just north of Inverkeilor. In the "Appendix D" document (see the OP) one is listed for demolition, the other for redeck, but now both have been demolished. Meanwhile just south of Inverkeilor there's the work to Bryanton Bridge (see #78-9, #102).
Both Bryanton and Nether Dysart (north of Lunan Bay) bridges have now been rebuilt and the sites cleared.

snowball

Established Member
Is there any sign of tenders or whatever for rolling stock yet?
As far as I'm aware, nothing since the notice last August that prompted the creation of this thread in the rolling stock subforum.

------- Automerged post ------------------

Appendix D (see the OP) shows a feeder station at Inverkeilor. I find this puzzling because, looking at OS, Google Maps and Openinframap, I can't see any grid infrastructure (at 132kV or higher) any nearer to Inverkeillor than Arbroath or Bridge of Dun (west of Montrose Basin).

If we nevertheless accept that a feeder station is proposed at Inverkeilor, the fact that the first four bridges to have been dealt with are all near Inverkeillor becomes interesting. It strongly suggests early electrification of a stretch of the route centred on Inverkeillor for use by BEMUs (and LNER Azumas).

(Edit: Oops! Only one L in Inverkeilor. I was getting confused with Mr Rankeillor in Kidnapped.)

Last edited:

A330Alex

Perhaps I’ve just missed it but is there any sort of explanation of what the Aberdeen-Central Belt project actually is?

It’s a project I’ve known about for years but it’s always seemed incredibly vague on scope, timeline and more. Even this press release from 2021 doesn’t really say anything.

snowball

Established Member
Perhaps I’ve just missed it but is there any sort of explanation of what the Aberdeen-Central Belt project actually is?

It’s a project I’ve known about for years but it’s always seemed incredibly vague on scope, timeline and more. Even this press release from 2021 doesn’t really say anything.
It's two projects. Two separate pages in this document. One is electrification. The other is still unclear. So presumably any stretch which might be subject to track realignment can't be electrified until the alignment is settled.

InOban

Established Member
Is there any sign of tenders or whatever for rolling stock yet?
I understand that they are planning to announce their procurement programme next year. By 2035 they need to replace all existing fleets except the 380 and 385 with just 3 fleets - a suburban fleet, not just for Glasgow but also for the Fife routes; an Intercity fleet ; and a rural fleet.

snowball

Established Member
I understand that they are planning to announce their procurement programme next year. By 2035 they need to replace all existing fleets except the 380 and 385 with just 3 fleets - a suburban fleet, not just for Glasgow but also for the Fife routes; an Intercity fleet ; and a rural fleet.
For more details of what they were proposing in August last year, see the link at the beginning of #109. It said procurement of the suburban fleet (EMUs and BEMUs) would take place in 2022-3 with delivery beginning in 2027. Even that would mean some partially electrified lines waiting for 3 years for the first BEMUs.

By "rural" they mean what I would call the remote lines: Far North, Kyle, West Highland, Stranraer.

chuff chuff

Ah okay thanks,it just seemed to have gone all quiet..

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I dont like too much cross-posting but I thought I would post this here as well as in the pinned thread electrification threads and resources

Scottish Grid Feeders

Recent or Existing

Currie
Newton
Elderslie now being referred to as Ferguslie
Eglington Street
Portobello
Innerwick
Greenhill
Harker (just on the English side)
Ecclefechan
Elvanfoot
Gowkthrapple
Saltcoats
Dalreoch
Port Glasgow
Parkhead

Planned for Decarbonisation Strategy
Thornton
Tweedbank
Invergowrie
Drumlithie
Kintore
Elgin
Beauly
Avielochan
Faskally
Greenloaning
Marshall Meadows (just on the English side)

Highly probable Planned for Decarbonisation Strategy - but cant find online documentation to support

Kilmarnock
Sanquhar
Dumfries

I can source/cite all this if required. I believe this list is correct but would be more than happy if someone spots an error to point it out and I will correct as necessary.

Last edited:

InOban

Established Member
Has Currie even been started? It was part of a plan to wire the 'Sub', to provide a wired freight route using the ECML.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member

Attachments

• Scotland-Enhancements-Delivery-Plan-September-2022 Update.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:

MadMac

I dont like too much cross-posting but I thought I would post this here as well as in the pinned thread electrification threads and resources

Scottish Grid Feeders

Recent or Existing

Currie
Newton
Elderslie
Portobello
Innerwick
Harker (just on the English side)
Ecclefechan
Elvanfoot
Gowkthrapple
Saltcoats
Dalreoch
Port Glasgow
Parkhead

Planned for Decarbonisation Strategy
Thornton
Tweedbank
Invergowrie
Drumlithie
Kintore
Elgin
Beauly
Avielochan
Faskally
Greenloaning
Marshall Meadows (just on the English side)

I can source/cite all this if required. I believe this list is correct but would be more than happy if someone spots an error to point it out and I will correct as necessary.
Thanks! A few things that jump out:

1) I think Elderslie is officially known as Ferguslie
2) No Eglinton Street?
3) I think Marshall Meadows is an existing one from ECML electrification but planned for upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.