• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Coast fares

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I think East Coast fares are very reasonable. They also offer a rewards scheme and the pounds to points ratio is actually quite good.
I'm surprised. But maybe our perceptions of 'reasonable' are all very relative.
To travel between the Capitals (Edin - London) during any plausible working hours will cost £230 -300 in Standard. I'd argue that there is also a necessary additional cost (whether its catering, Wi-Fi etc.)
Newcastle - London isn't much cheaper.

Yes, there are headline Advances of £16 (single), and are co-promoted with the (large) number of Advance tickets offered each week, but these two statements are unconnected.

I don't find the cost of my journeys to be 'reasonable'.
I find the promotion of a very limited number of low price Advances and (for pax travelling in the next few days) unavailable Advances, to be irrelevant.

34D

Established Member
EC is effectively like an airline, and I treat it as such. I plan my journeys 3 months in advance and usually pay no more than £10 each way (York <> London).

I do wish that we had an equivalent of LM; the option to pay about £20 return for a walk-up fare (like people from Stoke/Liverpool can do) and have a 3.5 hour journey, would be a useful addition when you can't book far in advance.

It almost happened of course - networkers to Doncaster was a WAGN plan that almost made it but didn't quite.

York-Arlesey then Arlesey to London (and being on a networker south of Peterborough) is as good though - or maybe you prefer the all atations York-PBO and SVG that seems to take 4 hours for the same price as the ones that do it in 1hr 50?

dstrat

Indeed, and the return portion of a Doncaster - London SVR is valid at any time from London.

Ah yes, to correct myself, the period is 1457 to 1859 on a Super Off Peak ticket! However £133 for an Off-peak arguably is ridiculous still..

However you say the return portion is valid at anytime from London - not what I've been told by guards on several times when I was delayed into London meaning getting on trains north between 3 and 7!

John @ home

Established Member
However you say the return portion is valid at anytime from London - not what I've been told by guards on several times when I was delayed into London meaning getting on trains north between 3 and 7!
To examine this, we need to know the Origin, Destination and Ticket Type printed on the ticket, and whether you were using the outward or return portion.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Ah yes, to correct myself, the period is 1457 to 1859 on a Super Off Peak ticket! However £133 for an Off-peak arguably is ridiculous still..

Firstly, if you are delayed then I am surprised you are not allowed travel on the next train, but depending on the company who delayed you and providing the connection was a valid one (we'd need more information) you may be entitled to compensation.

Yes, the return portion of a Doncaster - London SVR is valid at any time from London Kings Cross, see http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/pdfs/SVR_1U.pdf and if you are told it's not valid, ask them to look up the validity code. If you hold a different ticket then we'd need to check the validity code, I've only commented on the Doncaster <> London flow, as that is the question that was asked, although that restriction will apply for other flows too, we need to know the exact origin & destination in order to be certain.

Status
Not open for further replies.