• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Coast Scuppered

Status
Not open for further replies.

googolplex

Does anybody know if the failed train was without power during their wait?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Jesus! Looks like your in for a long night. Cant see the HST your on going any further than Doncaster as they will need it at Neville Hill for the morning:cry:
That doesn't sound good. I'll see how it goes then. If I get put in a taxi my dad will possibly have to collect me from Stevenage at a silly hour in the morning unless they drop me off at home near Bedford - not sure how likely that is though! If that's the case I might see if they'll put me up in a hotel.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MadCommuter

It'll be interesting to hear what time you get to Stevenage. Your train may have to take the passengers from the failed train once you get to the next major station unless East Coast find another set for them.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Amost all Welwyn GC and Cambridge FCC trains off King's Cross are cancelled already this evening, as are a lot of inbound trains... the last arrival from Hull is over one hour late, whereas the Glasgow Central EC service reads delayed.

MCR247

Established Member
I'm not sure how your HST could have coupled to the 225 set? I also think it is very likely that your train will only make it to Doncaster unfortunately :(

googolplex

It'll be interesting to hear what time you get to Stevenage. Your train may have to take the passengers from the failed train once you get to the next major station unless East Coast find another set for them.
Yeah, that wasn't something I'd thought of. The carriage is pretty well loaded as it is.

MadCommuter

I can see this one making the news tomorrow. Interesting point about coupling them together. Even if they have been, how would the HST be driven from behind the 225?

googolplex

I can see this one making the news tomorrow. Interesting point about coupling them together. Even if they have been, how would the HST be driven from behind the 225?

Our train coupled to theirs (so we were told - I stuck my head out of the window and it looked like that's what they were doing), but we didn't move and just waited for the rescue loco to arrive.
When that arrived we were told it would be about 30-45 minutes before we set off as the air reservoir had to refill. So it's possible the coupling was just to allow us to supply power for lighting etc to them.
If a loco fails is it possible there will be no train power supply and if so, how long does emergency lighting etc last?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Newcastle's live departure board:

20:38 London Kings Cross 00:02 204 mins late
20:54 Glasgow Central 22:58 124 mins late
22:43 York 00:05 82 mins late

That would make sense, the emergency lighting can last a long time but the heating and power to the kitchen will be more of an issue, no heating and no power to boiler for hot drinks = bad news:cry:

Its possiable they may ask passengers to transfer trains at Doncaster onto the 1750 Glasgow-KX train which is stuck behind you

googolplex

That would make sense, the emergency lighting can last a long time but the heating and power to the kitchen will be more of an issue, no heating and no power to boiler for hot drinks = bad news:cry:

Especially seeing as it's about -6 outside according to my phone. Our train has heating and it's still a bit colder than is entirely comfortable.

Skimble19

Established Member
If the train is already warm and fairly well loaded you should be alright for a fair while if the heating does fail, and the emergency lights should last long enough to cover until you get going hopefully!

EDIT: In that case, I'd go get a hot drink now if I were you

MadCommuter

As he's in the HST thats ok, he'll be ok, its those in the 225 that won't be so lucky.

Thats some train length. Presumably too long for any platform at NCL. Expect some shunting when you get there.

googolplex

As he's in the HST thats ok, he'll be ok, its those in the 225 that won't be so lucky.

Thats some train length. Presumably too long for any platform at NCL. Expect some shunting when you get there.

The latest announcement as we set off suggested we weren't coupled to the other train any longer.
Also, does anybody know if the driver's going to be over his hours and what happens then? I understand there's some form of crew change at Newcastle, but not if that includes guard and driver as we got a new guard at Edinburgh.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
And if the lines came down somewhere else, even all that work would be useless..
Well, the ECML does have quite a few options, loads of lines til Ally Pally, then you have the Hertford Loop which has often proven useful (they really need to reduce headways between Hertford & Langley Jn tho'), Stevenage to Hitchin is a bit of a weak point, then you have the Cambridge line, Peterborough to Werrington Junction is a bit of a weak point (but, again you do have multiple lines), then you have the Joint Line, which joins up at Loversall Carr but you have many lines from there to Donny, and then the Leeds line diverges, then several routes to get to York including via WKF & Leeds, or via the Kirkgate avoider & Castleford, or via Askern & Church Fenton, or via Hambleton West Jn & Gascogine Wood, or the Selby avoider, in addition to the main line, and multiple tracks where they all join up at Colton Jn to York and on to Northallerton, where the slows diverge, and you then have the coast & Stillington in addition to the main line...

...but, of course, none of the diversionary routes are electrified. This is quite unlike the WCML where almost all of it is (even via Kidsgrove which was done specifically for West Coast route modernisation).

Anyway, yesterday GC ran a 2055 additional KGX -NCL, this had was the last time a Valenta powercar (43123) would lead a service train, and this called at (via Cambridge & Ely) PBO, DON, YRK, THI, NTR, EAG (via Stillington), NCL. Any passengers wanting the 2100 who hadn't taken advice to not travel or travel earlier were able to get this train. The guard signed the route but the driver needed a route conductor as far as Peterborough. I've actually been via nearly all the possible ECML diversions on GC or EC, so well done to them for doing the diversions, but they need to get more drivers signing those routes if they are to avoid having to call in many dozens of buses.

Today 1D45 1803 KGX - SKI (departed 1834) failed north of Peterborough, and was stuck for over an hour. The 1800, which had departed at 1840, had already overtooken it at PBO so wasn't affected by this particular problem, but the 1830 (which departed at 1843) was right behind so got stuck as well (I was going to try to get this train at Donny from Sheffield but fortunately I went back via Leeds instead) however the 1835 which also left at 1843 was able to overtake, as did the 1819 which left at 1852.

Going south, the late running 1E23 1550 GLC - KGX failed in the Berwick area at around 1900ish, causing the following 1E24 1450 ABD - KGX (which left EDB at 1800) and 1807 EDB - BHM to be stuck behind this train at Berwick. The 1835 was cancelled throughout and the 1750 from Glasgow (departed 1822) to London spent 2 1/2 hours at Edinburgh and is, as I type this , nearly 4 hours late south of Dunbar, and expected into KGX at something like 0400 - if it makes it!

googolplex

Going south, 1E24 1450 ABD - KGX seems to have failed in the Berwick area at around 1900ish, causing the following 1807 EDB - BHM to be cancelled at Berwick. The 1835 was cancelled throughout and the 1750 from Glasgow (departed 1822) to London spent 2 1/2 hours at Edinburgh and is, as I type this , nearly 4 hours late south of Dunbar, and expected into KGX at something like 0400 - if it makes it!

It wasn't the 1450 ABD - KGX that failed, it was the 225 in front of that which failed. I'm on the Aberdeen train and we sat at a red signal for ages then went to assist the failed train. We're currently running about 4 hours late.
Edit: Looks like it was the 1550 GLC - KGX that failed. The ABD-KGX was running about 25 minutes late initially due to a late running service into Aberdeen.

TheBigD

Established Member
Does anyone know the reasons why EC don't sign Cambridge, yet sign other diversionary routes?

It does seem strange that they now sign the joint line via Sleaford/Lincoln but not via Cambridge.

Aictos

Established Member
For TL passengers, please note there is NO first class on any FCC service tomorrow on the TL route and also please note Evening Peaks Restrictions have also been lifted.

Driver and Station Announcements should be stating this as well.

The latest announcement as we set off suggested we weren't coupled to the other train any longer.
Also, does anybody know if the driver's going to be over his hours and what happens then? I understand there's some form of crew change at Newcastle, but not if that includes guard and driver as we got a new guard at Edinburgh.

Your train is booked to have a London based driver and guard take over at Newcastle but the maximum working shift for a driver is 12 hours so there maybe problems, however Newcastle and Leeds have night men who they may get to take the train south. Not sure if the 12 hours applies to guard or not, there maybe some loopholes for disruption

googolplex

Your train is booked to have a London based driver and guard take over at Newcastle but the maximum working shift for a driver is 12 hours so there maybe problems, however Newcastle and Leeds have night men who they may get to take the train south. Not sure if the 12 hours applies to guard or not, there maybe some loopholes for disruption

Hopefully. We're currently waiting outside Alnmouth for everybody on the train in front to be offloaded for us to pick them up, so I assume they're planning to run this train through to Kings Cross, even if it is packed.

Also, why did it take so long for the rescue locomotive to arrive, where do the rescue locos normally live?

Last edited:

TheBigD

Established Member
Also, why did it take so long for the rescue locomotive to arrive, where do the rescue locos normally live?

There's usually a 67 at Newcastle for thunderbird duties.

Just a guess but frozen points may have prevented it getting to the train quickly if it was unable to cross over to run wrong line to the failure.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
just a quick one, im due on 07:18 FHT to london from doncaster in morning... its diverted a different route from hull to doncaster, no mention of changes to time at doncaster, if early itll just wait at doncaster till depature time?

ushawk

Established Member
Was it the 1550 GLC - KGX train which failed ?

Sorry if its been said already, im a bit sleepy. And good luck tonight, the 1450 is showing as an arrival into KGX at 0243, over 4 hours late.

TheBigD

Established Member
just a quick one, im due on 07:18 FHT to london from doncaster in morning... its diverted a different route from hull to doncaster, no mention of changes to time at doncaster, if early itll just wait at doncaster till depature time?

Will run via Goole instead of Selby. Journey times are pretty similar so I doubt it will be an issue.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

Yes, it will have to as times are not amended for Doncaster.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If it's diverted via Goole, it is unlikely to be early into Doncaster (except by perhaps 5 minutes or so ) and it should wait time! The route via Goole isn't fast, and the 0607 from Hull isn't due into Donny until 5 minutes before the Hull Train at 0712 anyway.

This morning the Hull Train was 10 late off DON but did not get diverted, and the Hull Executive was diverted via Hambleton West & South Junctions, and therefore was 40 late into DON.

googolplex - my mistake, you are correct. At present neither train is showing as cancelled. You are 313 minutes late! That beats my record!
That doesn't sound good. I'll see how it goes then. If I get put in a taxi my dad will possibly have to collect me from Stevenage at a silly hour in the morning unless they drop me off at home near Bedford - not sure how likely that is though! If that's the case I might see if they'll put me up in a hotel.
Hotels that are anywhere near airports will be full, so I doubt they will be doing that, and there's not much point putting you in a hotel at 4am, when you can get a train from St Pancras to Bedford at 0352, 0452, 0524, etc ;)

(Note: those times are the timetabled times but of course they may be subject to delay or cancellation)

Have a word with someone on the train if they can endorse your ticket to Bedford (easier said than done I realise as many people will be asking the guard for help!)

I wouldn't ask for a taxi, if FCC is running to Bedford. I once got a taxi out of King's Cross due to delays and by the time the taxi was arranged, the next train was already half-way to York, at Peterborough. Also the taxi is only obliged to go to the station specified on your ticket, not to your house. So if you have a ticket to London, then London to Bedford, then you can expect to be taken to Bedford. If it's to Stevenage then you'll be taken to Stevenage.

googolplex

googolplex - my mistake, you are correct. At present neither train is showing as cancelled. You are 313 minutes late! That beats my record!

Hotels that are anywhere near airports will be full, so I doubt they will be doing that, and there's not much point putting you in a hotel at 4am, when you can get a train from St Pancras to Bedford at 0352, 0452, 0524, etc ;)

(Note: those times are the timetabled times but of course they may be subject to delay or cancellation)

Have a word with someone on the train if they can endorse your ticket to Bedford (easier said than done I realise as many people will be asking the guard for help!)

I wouldn't ask for a taxi, if FCC is running to Bedford. I once got a taxi out of King's Cross due to delays and by the time the taxi was arranged, the next train was already half-way to York, at Peterborough. Also the taxi is only obliged to go to the station specified on your ticket, not to your house. So if you have a ticket to London, then London to Bedford, then you can expect to be taken to Bedford. If it's to Stevenage then you'll be taken to Stevenage.

Yeah, my ticket is only as far as Stevenage, so I'll have to get my dad to pick me up at 02:46 (he wouldn't leave me at the station, but I may have to compensate him with beer!)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yeah, my ticket is only as far as Stevenage, so I'll have to get my dad to pick me up at 02:46 (he wouldn't leave me at the station, but I may have to compensate him with beer!)
02:46 is hopelessly optimistic, sorry!

It's not clear if your train and the following 1750 GLC - KGX will both run through to King's Cross, at present both appear to be booked to, but that could change. It wouldn't surprise me if you were transferred to that train at somewhere like York.

I'd say 3am is the absolute earliest into Stevenage, but it could be 4am. If the roads between Stevenage & Bedford are not good and/or your Dad can't pick you up, I'd continue on EC to King's Cross (no-one is going to stop you I am sure!) and then take FCC from St Pancras to Bedford.

Whatever happens, good luck, and keep us posted!

googolplex

Thanks, the GLC-KGX train was emptied at Alnmouth and we now have their passengers on our train. They were stuck on it for about 4 hours with no heating and only emergency lighting, which can't have been fun.
We've just left York (at 1.40am) and people were on the platform waiting for the train. There was a good crowd waiting to board at Newcastle and the train is pretty well loaded.
East Coast offered complimentary refreshments to everybody until the boiler ran out of water not long after Darlington.
ETA into London is now 03.45.
As I write this we've just slowed to pass engineering work south of York.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The train behind you (1E27 1750 GLC-KGX) is probably lightly loaded then as everyone will have piled on the earlier train! This is currently just north of York. It calls additionally at Newark and Grantham. Looks like they will both run through to KGX.

There was some very slow running near Hambleton this morning, probably the same thing. This meant YRK-DON took over 30 mins instead of 20 mins. You may suffer some more delays though. Other southbound trains have been experiencing delays in the Ally Pally/Finsbury Park area (though that won't affect you if you're off at Stevenage!) and also in the Tallington area north of Peterborough. So, I'd assume 4am and anything earlier is a bonus (!!)

googolplex

Just heading through Newark (02.41), the train is quite lightly loaded now, however in my experience, that's the norm for this service (when it runs to time).

The ETAs on the NRE website do keep getting pushed back, but not by too much. I'll have to see what the state of play is when we go through any potentially problematic areas.
My dad's en-route to the station now, so I hopefully won't be too much later than the ETA I gave him. Sitting here trying to write a coherent post, I'm glad I'm not the one driving the car home!
We made it to Peterborough pretty much on the estimated arrival time from NRE, however we're still sat here 15 or so minutes later, not sure why.
We stopped at St Neots for quite a while and have just gone through Little Paxton (03.50 ish) - There's quite a bit of equipment and personnel on the fasts, looking like they're repairing the OHLE.
Update 03.56 - They've just announced one of the power cars has failed, so we're running on reduced power. We're currently north of Sandy, so I think you're gonna be right Yorkie, we won't be at Stevenage until after 4!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.