• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Kilbride/Barrhead electrification updates

snookertam

There should be spare capacity on Class 334 as Milngavie to Edinbirgh only runs in peak. So without going to speculative, some of them could free up 318/320 on Argyle line to release them to Inverclyde with 380 to Barrhead/East Kilbride

No, because there’s no spare 334 capacity. When they’re not running between the peaks they’re stabled at Yoker and Bathgate.

There’s also only one class 380 needed for the Barrhead service, which has been accounted for since May.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Platform 1 at Giffnock is to be renewed. Not part of the electrification project but it suggests that this will not recommence until April 2024.

https://www.networkrailmediacentre....s-gbp-1-2m-platform-works-at-giffnock-station
Will easily take that long to renew a platform and do the job right. The only side effects are 2 car trains can stop at the platform. No SDO on 156s either. Perhaps more frequent trains to move the masses and car parking spaces are reduced. So perhaps find another station to park or shock horror take the bus to the station.

It's all in the name of progress and when electrification comes along look out for more works at other stations. With new footbridges, station access and probably more platform works.

snowball

Established Member
The only side effects are 2 car trains can stop at the platform.
Can only 1-car trains stop there at present?

Edit: a couple of weeks after the first electric trains to Barrhead were reported on here, we get a press release announcing that one has run:

Network Rail has achieved a significant milestone on the £63.3m Glasgow-Barrhead electrification project with the first electric test train running on the route.

The train (a Class 380) successfully completed test runs from between 15mph up to 75mph along the newly electrified lines between Glasgow Central and Barrhead station overnight on Wednesday, November 7, into Thursday, November 8.

Further test trains will run over the next few weeks ahead of the introduction of ScotRail electric passenger services on the line next month.

Over the last two years, engineers have installed 360 stanchions and structures supporting more than 66,000 metres of overhead power lines and renewed 130 metres of track.

Major modifications have been carried out to bridges along the route, including the replacement of Nithsdale Road bridge at Strathbungo to create enough space for the new overhead lines. Bridge sidewalls were raised in height at Kennishead and Priesthill & Darnley stations to make them compliant for an electrified railway.

A significant amount of work also took place at Barrhead station, with platform 3 extended by nine metres to accommodate longer four-carriage electric trains. This involved moving the current buffers and rebuilding the access paths.

Last edited:

59CosG95

Established Member

Contracts have been awarded!
The lucky firms are:
Story Contracting;
AmcoGiffen;
SPL Powerlines;
Siemens;
Rail Systems Alliance Scotland;
WSP.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I think that 92002 means that the work will mean that the useable section of platform can only safely accommodate 2-car trains. Giffnock can take 6 presently.

Edit: a couple of weeks after the first electric trains to Barrhead were reported on here, we get a press release announcing that one has run:

Where did it get up to 75mph? Linespeed is 70 max all the way to Kilmarnock.

MadMac

Contracts have been awarded!
The lucky firms are:
Story Contracting;
AmcoGiffen;
SPL Powerlines;
Siemens;
Rail Systems Alliance Scotland;
WSP.
The thing I find interesting is the reference to “An upgraded accessible station at East Kilbride”. Currently, it’s a single platform with level access. So, what “upgrades” would there be in accessibility terms?

mcmad

a quick look on google maps seems to show that its level access throughout the existing building so who knows what it means other than being the usual buzzword bingo you get in such press releases these days.

MadMac

a quick look on google maps seems to show that its level access throughout the existing building so who knows what it means other than being the usual buzzword bingo you get in such press releases these days.
True, although ‘buzzword’ wasn’t quite the term I had in mind

H&I

I heard rumours that the first electric train in passenger service is going to run sometime next week, but I don't have a precise date, and I don't see any mention of when that will happen in the press release. Does anyone have an idea of when the first electric train in passenger service might run on the line? Thank you.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I heard rumours that the first electric train in passenger service is going to run sometime next week, but I don't have a precise date, and I don't see any mention of when that will happen in the press release. Does anyone have an idea of when the first electric train in passenger service might run on the line? Thank you.
The Sunday of the timetable change would be, except no Barrhead terminators on Sundays - so presumably commencement of services on Monday the 11th.

The Barrhead terminator is usually the same unit(s) all day, so it should be a 380 from the get go.

Last edited:

Sunday 10th December is the timetable change and an hourly electric service is due to commence then. Barrhead services currently don't run on Sundays and I'm not sure if this changes on the 10th.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Sunday 10th December is the timetable change and an hourly electric service is due to commence then. Barrhead services currently don't run on Sundays and I'm not sure if this changes on the 10th.
Forgot about no Barrhead terminators on Sundays. There's no change to that this December, so first public leccys on the 11th presumably.

H&I

Thank you. According to the timetable, the first electric train should be the 06:52 from Glasgow to Barrhead.

snookertam

Years back a special service would’ve run on the days leading up to the timetable change with associated publicity around it. Maybe if there’s some far sighted folk at ScotRail maybe a 380 will be out and about on Friday or Saturday.

OB23Gone

Years back a special service would’ve run on the days leading up to the timetable change with associated publicity around it. Maybe if there’s some far sighted folk at ScotRail maybe a 380 will be out and about on Friday or Saturday.
According to RTTs on the 30th Nov there was an STP EMU to Barrhead & return But this was Cancelled. On Friday 1st Dec A VSTP Ran with 380106 leaving GC @ 0020 but ran 28min LATE & return to Barrhead. Could find nothing else penciled in until Monday 11th leaving Central at 0652 as an EMU but no specific class listed but should be a 380. As always though an STP & VSTP can run and not be put into the system until close to running time

drb61

I was actually wondering if a 380 might be drafted into service on the Barrhead services earlier than the 11th - possibly on the 4th in order to free up a 156 for the Ayr - Prestwick shuttle?

I was actually wondering if a 380 might be drafted into service on the Barrhead services earlier than the 11th - possibly on the 4th in order to free up a 156 for the Ayr - Prestwick shuttle?

There's enough 156s I think to do the shuttle as some Kilmarnock - Glasgow services have been strengthened to 4 cars since the Ayr fire to save units sitting in platforms for hours. So likelyhood is some Killie services will be back to 2 car from the 4th.

156s are still diagramed for Barrheads next week.

OB23Gone

According to RTTs on the 30th Nov there was an STP EMU to Barrhead & return But this was Cancelled. On Friday 1st Dec A VSTP Ran with 380106 leaving GC @ 0020 but ran 28min LATE & return to Barrhead. Could find nothing else penciled in until Monday 11th leaving Central at 0652 as an EMU but no specific class listed but should be a 380. As always though an STP & VSTP can run and not be put into the system until close to running time
A Day Time run this week. Wed 6th Dec. Listed as Unadvertised Ordinary Passenger EMU. Glasgow Central Depart 1141 Calling at Crossmyloof 1146, Pollokshaws 1148 Kennishead 1151, Priesthill & Darnley 1153, Nitshill 1156 and into Barrhead Platform 3 at 1201. Quick turn around leaving at 1210 and arriving back at Glasgow Central at 1231 All stops are 1/2 min Duration in both directions. No other runs listed as yet until service begins from Glasgow Central on Monday 11th at 0652

hexagon789

Veteran Member
A Day Time run this week. Wed 6th Dec. Listed as Unadvertised Ordinary Passenger EMU. Glasgow Central Depart 1141 Calling at Crossmyloof 1146, Pollokshaws 1148 Kennishead 1151, Priesthill & Darnley 1153, Nitshill 1156 and into Barrhead Platform 3 at 1201. Quick turn around leaving at 1210 and arriving back at Glasgow Central at 1231 All stops are 1/2 min Duration in both directions. No other runs listed as yet until service begins from Glasgow Central on Monday 11th at 0652
380114 has seemingly been assigned to this - 2A98 & return today (Wed 06/12).

The test EMU went through Pollokshaws West this afternoon:
Test EMU at Pollokshaws West.jpg

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The test EMU went through Pollokshaws West this afternoon:
View attachment 147915
Very nice, the sun lighting through the branches gives a nice dappled effect - don't know if that was deliberate or a pleasant coincidence! ;)

Was that yourself on Platform 1 chatting with the Network Rail guys before the 380 passed?

My mate and I were on Platform 2 and caught the test run both ways.

InOban

Established Member
As an unadvertised Ordinary Passenger service, do I assume that it was carrying invited bigwigs or only scotrail /NR staff?

Very nice, the sun lighting through the branches gives a nice dappled effect - don't know if that was deliberate or a pleasant coincidence! ;)

Was that yourself on Platform 1 chatting with the Network Rail guys before the 380 passed?

My mate and I were on Platform 2 and caught the test run both ways.
Thank you for the praise. I thought I was taking a risk that the sun low in the sky would ruin the photo.

Yes, obviously, I was on platform 1. I was talking to another forum member, the man in the high vis.

youngac

380114 passing Crossmyloof at 1147 today.

Attachments

• IMG_4713.jpeg
    IMG_4713.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_4714.jpeg
    IMG_4714.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 88