• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Midlands Railway short formed services

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnjb8

Established Member
Went to the bet365 stadium for Stoke vs Forest, all the trains from Stoke to Derby were cancelled, luckily I drove but after losing and having to face a replacement bus ride left many very angry!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LowLevel

Established Member
Went to the bet365 stadium for Stoke vs Forest, all the trains from Stoke to Derby were cancelled, luckily I drove but after losing and having to face a replacement bus ride left many very angry!

No train crew available, unfortunately.

Skymonster

Established Member
I nearly went out that way today (Derby-Crewe and return). Glad I didn’t now as the trip back would have been tedious. Seriously, part of my decision not to travel was a feeling I have that EMR Regional just can’t be trusted right now.

cnjb8

Established Member
No train crew available, unfortunately.
Ah ok, luckily the rail replacement came right to the stadium for the fans
There is a yellow warning for rain for Eastern England tomorrow fortunately (sort of :))

londonmidland

Established Member
I saw a full and standing 2 coach 156 at Manchester Piccadilly from the comfort of my 6 coach 185 and thought thank god I’m not on that.

STINT47

I nearly went out that way today (Derby-Crewe and return). Glad I didn’t now as the trip back would have been tedious. Seriously, part of my decision not to travel was a feeling I have that EMR Regional just can’t be trusted right now.
They cannot be trusted right now. I'm sorry to say that I have abandoned regional rail trips from Nottingham for the moment.

Given that things are not getting better and if anything things are going in the wrong direction at what point should thoughts turn to removing Abellio? They seem to mess up their franchises and have been a disaster for the East Miflands.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
They cannot be trusted right now. I'm sorry to say that I have abandoned regional rail trips from Nottingham for the moment.

Given that things are not getting better and if anything things are going in the wrong direction at what point should thoughts turn to removing Abellio? They seem to mess up their franchises and have been a disaster for the East Miflands.
What benefit is removing Abellio going to have?

Mugby

Established Member
The cancellations on Crewe-Stoke-Derby today would have meant a gap of over six hours with no service.

Does anyone know what, if any, alternative arrangements were put in place, or if ticket acceptance for any other routeings were made available?

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Given that things are not getting better and if anything things are going in the wrong direction at what point should thoughts turn to removing Abellio?

How is removing Abellio going to solve the traincrew shortages caused by the global pandemic?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The cancellations on Crewe-Stoke-Derby today would have meant a gap of over six hours with no service.

Does anyone know what, if any, alternative arrangements were put in place, or if ticket acceptance for any other routeings were made available?
Based on EMR's Twitter postings, there was ticket acceptance on CrossCountry via Birmingham as well as a replacement bus.

Obviously it's still a very dire situation.

Kite159

Veteran Member

I believe they eventually did put on some replacement buses

johnnychips

Established Member
When my train was cancelled from Crewe to Derby during a forum event, a member tweeted EMR and they replied quite quickly saying I could travel via Stockport (I was going to Sheffield). So some staff are doing their best, in what @Watershed correctly describes as a dire situation.

Skymonster

Established Member
How is removing Abellio going to solve the traincrew shortages caused by the global pandemic?
The problems caused by the pandemic should be over now - there’s no need for vaccinated people to isolate if pinged anymore and the vast majority of employees must surely be of an age at which they are vaccinated (and they should be told that vaccination is a prerequisite of keeping their jons).

But it’s not just train crew - it’s chronic short forms, significant cancellations despite already running a reduced timetable that EMR said would make services more resilient. Meanwhile, unlike other TOCs, EMR still hasn’t restored catering to the same degree as others, it hasn’t reopened its first class lounges, and it hasn’t sorted the strikes that make service provision even worse especially on Sundays.

Realistically EMR (Regional in particular) is an untrustable shambles right now and DfT should be looking at applying some sanctions on Abellio.

SteveyBee131

The problems caused by the pandemic should be over now - there’s no need for vaccinated people to isolate if pinged anymore and the vast majority of employees must surely be of an age at which they are vaccinated (and they should be told that vaccination is a prerequisite of keeping their jons).

But it’s not just train crew - it’s chronic short forms, significant cancellations despite already running a reduced timetable that EMR said would make services more resilient. Meanwhile, unlike other TOCs, EMR still hasn’t restored catering to the same degree as others, it hasn’t reopened its first class lounges, and it hasn’t sorted the strikes that make service provision even worse especially on Sundays.

Realistically EMR (Regional in particular) is an untrustable shambles right now and DfT should be looking at applying some sanctions on Abellio.
As others have said, it would have happened whoever was entrusted with trying to run it. It's not Abellio's fault that several problems have snowballed together all at once.

LowLevel

Established Member
Should say as well that whilst it isn't an excuse having several 158s stranded the Norwich side of the derailment hasn't helped matters this weekend. Also still got 158863 out of traffic (been over 8 months now) so that's at least 4 158s down.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
As others have said, it would have happened whoever was entrusted with trying to run it. It's not Abellio's fault that several problems have snowballed together all at once.
Having said that EMR seems to be faring much worse than some. According to September's Modern Railways, Greater Anglia are running a near-normal service on their regional routes. They're also Abellio so I don't think the identity of the owning group makes much difference.

Killingworth

Established Member
Having said that EMR seems to be faring much worse than some. According to September's Modern Railways, Greater Anglia are running a near-normal service on their regional routes. They're also Abellio so I don't think the identity of the owning group makes much difference.
If only EMR could borrow a Greater Anglia 755 to run between Norwich and Liverpool and let us compare with what we see at present. Dream on, but any new rolling stock needs to be up to that standard. More 30 year old refurbs don't.

Last edited:

ChrisC

Established Member

I have also given up on using EMR regional services. At a time when we need to get people back on the railways the current situation is just driving more people away. I’m using my car more often and making far more use of Trent Barton and Stagecoach bus day tickets for days out.

I also don’t think that Abellio are totally to blame but things do not seem to be getting any better. They are not even now managing to run the inadequate reduced timetables and it appears that these timetables are to be in place until at least December. Short formed trains and only a 2 hourly service at busy times of the day on the important Norwich to Liverpool service linking so many large cities is not acceptable. The Robin Hood Line on Saturday afternoons is absolute chaos with only an hourly service and will only get worse with football matches and as Christmas approaches. An unreliable 2 hourly service to Crewe is at times unusable and how many people will return to the Skegness trains next year after this summers cancellations and overcrowding.

The situation just continues to get worse and to the general travelling public it appears that nothing is being done to improve the situation. It’s not even getting a mention in the press but then East Midland regional services have never had a very high profile and their London services are more or less running without disruption.

dk1

Veteran Member

As far as I’m aware everything has been agreed with the DfT. Catering is out-sourced at this franchise so it has very little control over its provision. Late delivery of rolling stock to WMR & postponed training during the pandemic have all had an impact but hopefully the isolating side of thing is improving. What with other unit unavailability & some industrial action it’s not been a great time & there is very little any operator or the DfT could have done differently. Unfortunately it will be a muddle for a while yet but should start to improve.

Established Member
Meanwhile, unlike other TOCs, EMR still hasn’t restored catering to the same degree as others, it hasn’t reopened its first class lounges, and it hasn’t sorted the strikes that make service provision even worse especially on Sundays.
Catering has returned to services. Last week a service I was on had the normal offering for first and standard and even a Skegness service had a catering trolley.

Just to add to the disruption today it seems that most of the Sheffield - London services won't be calling at Long Eaton due to the strike. This didn't seem to be an issue two weeks ago so has something changed?

LowLevel

Established Member
Catering has returned to services. Last week a service I was on had the normal offering for first and standard and even a Skegness service had a catering trolley.

Just to add to the disruption today it seems that most of the Sheffield - London services won't be calling at Long Eaton due to the strike. This didn't seem to be an issue two weeks ago so has something changed?

Running double sets with only one guard means the driver is in the front unit, the guard is in the back and there's no second guard to operate the doors in the front unit at Long Eaton which has a short platform.

londonmidland

Established Member
Onboard 1R72 (Norwich to Liverpool Lime Street) - left Nottingham 22 late due to train crew being delayed. It is now missing out Sheffield due to late running and running fast from Chesterfield to Stockport.

All I can say is good luck to those having to board an already busy 2 car 195!

Killingworth

Established Member
Onboard 1R72 (Norwich to Liverpool Lime Street) - left Nottingham 22 late due to train crew being delayed. It is now missing out Sheffield due to late running and running fast from Chesterfield to Stockport.

Fortunately Northern are aware of EMRs difficulties and their weekend Hope Valley services are mostly 3 car 195s or 4 car 15xs. A far cry from the single Pacer of 2 or 3 years ago. TPE 6 coach 185s are the trains to choose for space and speed between Sheffield and Manchester at present.

However that's no consolation for those of us booked on long distance journeys including an EMR leg.

We've just got home after such a journey. We got aboard our outbound train from Sheffield and got to sit next to each other as good natured fellow passengers played musical chairs, however many were standing to Manchester.

We were going to Chester. Lo and behold, there was what appeared to be an EMR 153 between two smart refurbished TFW classmates on the Crewe-Chester shuttle!

As we flicked on the television tonight there was an ad urging us to take a trip by EMR. Not on the Nottingham - Liverpool route if you can possibly avoid it. Sorry EMR. Late, cancelled, withdrawn from timetable or short formed, the travelling public can't rely on your service.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
I was lucky enough to enjoy a full EMR timetable offer on the Cleethorpes-Barton line the other week. The guard was able to socially distance himself in one locked-off Class 153 whilst the (ticketless?) passengers enjoyed another Class 153. At least there wasn't any overcrowding.

londonmidland

Established Member
TPE 6 coach 185s are the trains to choose for space and speed between Sheffield and Manchester at present.
You forgot one more thing, comfort! I always aim to get TPE from Manchester to Sheffield and vice versa.

Just can’t fully rely on EMR regional at the moment, with their 2 hourly services, short forms and delays/cancellations.

Scott W

Twice in less than a week have had to endure the short formed and subsequently overflowing 16:42 Manchester to Nottingham/Norwich service. Also increasing noticeable the loadings on the 08:32 Northern service from Sheffield to Manchester, in part as a result of the ongoing cancellation of the EMR service a few minutes later.

Killingworth

Established Member
Twice in less than a week have had to endure the short formed and subsequently overflowing 16:42 Manchester to Nottingham/Norwich service. Also increasing noticeable the loadings on the 08:32 Northern service from Sheffield to Manchester, in part as a result of the ongoing cancellation of the EMR service a few minutes later.

That 8.32 from Sheffield only recently added a stop at Dore, next Edale. It's the quickest end to end of the day by Northern.

Only 2 coaches, usually a 15x, but a lot more reliable than anything from EMR at present. They've withdrawn altogether on Sundays thanks to RMT action.

Mugby

Established Member

I hope those on the train who wanted Sheffield were given plenty of notice to get off at Chesterfield!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Sad to see what I've experienced for many years as a high quality reliable service (EMR transpennine) deteriorate so comprehensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.