• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Midlands Railway short formed services

Status
Not open for further replies.

dk1

Veteran Member
I do find it rather perverse and baffling that Abellio, the same company who run both EMR and Gtr Anglia, deemed that 12 car trains are appropriate for Intercity services services running half hourly between London and Ipswich/Norwich (with an additional third service planned) but that 5 car trains are sufficient for Leicester/Derby/Nottingham/Sheffield services, the latter group all being much larger and far more important places?

I know that traffic flows and volumes, especially on routes to/from London, do not strictly correlate with population, city size, admin boundaries, distance etc (something which has already been done to death many times on this forum) but there is still a very large discrepancy capacity wise between the two routes, especially bearing in mind that Nottingham and Sheffield are large conurbations and important regional centres for their respective regions and Leicester and Derby likewise as large and important sub regional centres, and all of them on a different scale population and catchment area wise compared to Ipswich and Norwich.

Also, Abellio (i.e. Netherlands Railways) would never contemplate, or ever getting away with, running 5 car Intercity trains between Amsterdam and important regional centres.
It’s been synonymous with the Midland Main Line over the years. 2 & 3-car 170s being a particular low point. Then along came Meridians in various sizes. Now 5-car Hitachi units are under construction apparently so they can run in multiple & that’s the longest accepted on the route.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Killingworth

Established Member
As long as this additional capacity finds its way to Sheffield.

And from there to Manchester and Liverpool.

It’s been synonymous with the Midland Main Line over the years. 2 & 3-car 170s being a particular low point. Then along came Meridians in various sizes. Now 5-car Hitachi units are under construction apparently so they can run in multiple & that’s the longest accepted on the route.

I rather liked the HSTs and before them the 45/46/47 hauled trains.

dk1

Veteran Member
And from there to Manchester and Liverpool.

I rather liked the HSTs and before them the 45/46/47 hauled trains.
Frequency is however far far greater these days. BR at one time offered a 45 minute frequency St.Pancras to Leicester with alternate trains going forward to Nottingham or Sheffield every 90mins.

Tomnick

Established Member
Frequency is however far far greater these days. BR at one time offered a 45 minute frequency St.Pancras to Leicester with alternate trains going forward to Nottingham or Sheffield every 90mins.
Far from being a low point, the 170s were the first step towards a higher frequency, faster service. I'm not sure whether the users of the intermediate stations saw it that way, of course!

dk1

Veteran Member
Far from being a low point, the 170s were the first step towards a higher frequency, faster service. I'm not sure whether the users of the intermediate stations saw it that way, of course!
A low point in terms of capacity.

WesternLancer

Established Member
No doubt the other tactic EMR will employ to curb demand and reduce overcrowding is to ramp up the price of Advance tickets.

Probably cheaper for Sheffield, Chesterfield and Derby passengers to change at Tamworth!
seems to have already happened if you ask me - far less cheap advance seats seem to be in the system at times I want to travel than would have been the case pre 'end of HST' - both 1st and 2nd class. I find myself increasingly booking via ECML (Grantham) - which has the benefit of not having to put up with the worn and scruffy interior state of the 222 fleet.

I believe the theory is that the Intercity services will have additional capacity because they'll no longer be serving Wellingborough, Bedford or Luton so loadings can be more evenly spread across them from the North.
does not seem to be happening though. It may be that other travel patterns have changed. I was on trains on MML on Saturday and all very busy (with people standing) in 5 car units. Inadequate train lengths for the services in my view.

Not sure what things are like in the weekday peaks (but probably HMG intransigence over altering pricing probably means they are lightly loaded due to lack of office commuters maybe)

paddy1

A low point in terms of capacity.
Also the starting point of short trains becoming the norm on MML

Yes, but so is it on the GEML as well, with Norwich and Ipswich (Intercity) being half hourly and a third hourly service planned, when it was only hourly under BR

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
Also the starting point of short trains becoming the norm on MML

Yes, but so is it on the GEML as well, with Norwich and Ipswich (Intercity) being half hourly and a third hourly service planned, when it was only hourly under BR
The Norwich trains are extremely busy as I can well vouch for with only the excellent 745s & to an extent Covid providing some breathing space. The loco-hauled sets where frequently full & standing peak & off-peak. It’s an extremely well used route hence the retention of onboard cafe bars too. I am not convinced that the third off-peak train will ever happen though.

paddy1

The Norwich trains are extremely busy as I can well vouch for with only the excellent 745s & to an extent Covid providing some breathing space. The loco-hauled sets where frequently full & standing peak & off-peak. It’s an extremely well used route hence the retention of onboard cafe bars too. I am not convinced that the third off-peak train will ever happen though.
I accept that the London-Norwich route is busy and needs these long trains, but so is the MML line and the places served much larger and more important than most places on the Anglia main line, but MML passengers are crammed into inadequate 4 and 5 car trains and look like being so for the foreseeable. It is the same parent company that runs both and I find it difficult to comprehend how they could have bid for both franchises but with such a disproportionate capacity between the two routes and allowed to get away with it.

dk1

Veteran Member
I accept that the London-Norwich route is busy and needs these long trains, but so is the MML line and the places served much larger and more important than most places on the Anglia main line, but MML passengers are crammed into inadequate 4 and 5 car trains and look like being so for the foreseeable. It is the same parent company that runs both and I find it difficult to comprehend how they could have bid for both franchises but with such a disproportionate capacity between the two routes and allowed to get away with it.
I suppose it’s just completely separate in the same way it differs from Scotrail & LNWR. The latter doesn’t even provide catering on long distance routes now. EMUs on the Corby helps with the shorter distance stations that end of the route & I suppose it has XC helping out between Derby & Sheffield. Also with only 4 platforms at St.Pancras it seems it has to be operationally led so trains can share platforms here.

Domh245

Established Member

EMR can't magic the 810s up any quicker, but once those arrive they will represent a fairly significant increase in capacity over the current situation, though when you look at seats per hour GA will still win out at ~1400 seats/hr to Norwich vs ~900 seats/hr to each of Nottingham/Sheffield (but 1800 to Leicester). There is however a difference between 'importance' and 'number of passengers' which may also explain the difference in numbers

It's worth noting though that bidding and award happened under rather different scenarios - GA was let in 2016 amidst a period of 'sunshine & rainbows', full fleet replacements, and magic money trees, etc (a bid which also turned out to be hopelessly optimistic and undeliverable in many senses!). EMR however was let in 2019 in the context of some sustained belt-tightening, hence reutilised stock for regional (barely enough seemingly) and connect, and an intercity fleet that's sized to exactly as many as they hope they need, and not a unit more.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I do find it rather perverse and baffling that Abellio, the same company who run both EMR and Gtr Anglia, deemed that 12 car trains are appropriate for Intercity services services running half hourly between London and Ipswich/Norwich (with an additional third service planned) but that 5 car trains are sufficient for Leicester/Derby/Nottingham/Sheffield services, the latter group all being much larger and far more important places?

I know that traffic flows and volumes, especially on routes to/from London, do not strictly correlate with population, city size, admin boundaries, distance etc (something which has already been done to death many times on this forum) but there is still a very large discrepancy capacity wise between the two routes, especially bearing in mind that Nottingham and Sheffield are large conurbations and important regional centres for their respective regions and Leicester and Derby likewise as large and important sub regional centres, and all of them on a different scale population and catchment area wise compared to Ipswich and Norwich.

Also, Abellio (i.e. Netherlands Railways) would never contemplate, or ever getting away with, running 5 car Intercity trains between Amsterdam and important regional centres.

I suppose it’s just completely separate in the same way it differs from Scotrail & LNWR. The latter doesn’t even provide catering on long distance routes now. EMUs on the Corby helps with the shorter distance stations that end of the route & I suppose it has XC helping out between Derby & Sheffield. Also with only 4 platforms at St.Pancras it seems it has to be operationally led so trains can share platforms here.
I'd say it was to do with the financial climate as perceived by Abellio's bidding teams.

When Greater Anglia was being bid in around 2015, the general economic outlook was pretty positive, there were some good deals around to be had on new trains, and DfT had started judging franchises more on quality rather than cost. We don't know what was in the competing bids but it seems likely that GA bet on making a step change in service quality. By 2018 when East Midlands was being bid, the country was in the midst of Brexit uncertainty and most unbiased experts saw this as a major blow to economic confidence. I suspect also some of the leasing bodies had had their fingers burnt and rates for new stock weren't as competitive.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I find it difficult to comprehend how they could have bid for both franchises but with such a disproportionate capacity between the two routes and allowed to get away with it.

Abellio have bid against specifications set by the DfT. They are not ‘getting away’ with anything, they are delivering what they have been required to do, which is based on detailed analysis of existing flows and forecasts for the future. Given that around half the services will be formed of double sets (600+ seats), including (I guess) most if not all the busiest services, then that seems to be a very significant lift in capacity compared to anything the line has seen before.

But in a world where morning peak arrivals from Nottingham have 140 passengers on (as this morning), I don’t think there’s much to worry about.

Djgr

Established Member

Ditto but worse

Liverpool to Manchester to Sheffield to Nottingham to Peterborough to Ely to Norwich

A service linking seven key cities of England is treated with disdain

paddy1

Ditto but worse

Liverpool to Manchester to Sheffield to Nottingham to Peterborough to Ely to Norwich

A service linking seven key cities of England is treated with disdain
Yes, a two car train (or four car at best for some of the route) linking Norwich and Liverpool and all the key places in between, especially when you compare and apply this to the same scenario in some European countries and the long and frequent Intercity type trains with plenty of seats over fully electrified routes that link equivalent series of key towns and cities in countries such Switzerland, Germany, Netherlands etc

dk1

Veteran Member
Yes, a two car train (or four car at best for some of the route) linking Norwich and Liverpool and all the key places in between, especially when you compare and apply this to the same scenario in some European countries and the long and frequent Intercity type trains with plenty of seats over fully electrified routes that link equivalent series of key towns and cities in countries such Switzerland, Germany, Netherlands etc
Thing is though that when it was more Intercity (5/6 coaches long) it only ran once a day in each direction.

WesternLancer

Established Member
I'm not splitting hairs here, but has Peterborough always been a city?

I have also seen it mentioned as a New Town too (unsure if Mark II or III).
Peterborough City Status - only since 1541 (took a while - cathedral was up by 1118 )

New Town status:1967

Llandudno

Established Member
I wouldn’t call XC helping out between Derby and Sheffield, you are lucky in non Covid times to get a seat over this section of route!

Currently only one XC per hour with most services omitting Chesterfield

dk1

Veteran Member
I wouldn’t call XC helping out between Derby and Sheffield, you are lucky in non Covid times to get a seat over this section of route!

Currently only one XC per hour with most services omitting Chesterfield
Oh yes i know only the SW-NE is currently running but in normal & pre-Covid times it operates two & to be fair it should reintroduce the Second hourly train this December at the latest but XC is still dragging its heels. That however has been well discussed on other threads.

Killingworth

Established Member
Oh yes i know only the SW-NE is currently running but in normal & pre-Covid times it operates two & to be fair it should reintroduce the Second hourly train this December at the latest but XC is still dragging its heels. That however has been well discussed on other threads.

It should reintroduce the second hourly train in December but I suspect you'll find it isn't going to for most of the day.

Killingworth

Established Member
Looks like only a single service via Doncaster so looking at May now if then.

Which means it's taking an extra 20 minutes between Sheffield, York and Newcastle, but we can't blame EMR for that. Back to topic.

STINT47

The class 810s will provide an increase in seating capacity of arround 25% compared to the current fleet of 222s and 180s. There will be a decrease of arround 14% in first class seating but an increase in standard of arround 36%. This is very welcome but if you factor in all of the seats lost when the HSTs were withdrwan passengers traveling to and from Leicester and onwards to Sheffield and Nottingham will see roughly the same number of seats being provided as when EMT handed back the keys.

EMR do of course have the 360s and if these are included the total number of seats being provided from St Pancras is goign to be considrabley higher than with EMT and with a sixth departure each hour Abellio and the DFT can correctly claim that the new franchsise has provided more seats, more often as promised.

The key will be the theroy that the 360s will cater for passengers at the south end of the line freeing up capacity to the midland cities. If it does then once the 810s arrive and assuming rail passenger figuers return to pre covid times EMR should be ok with overcrowding being no worse than before, although this did get bad at times. If they do not switch in the numbers expected or rail passenger numbers grow higher than pre coivd then overcrowded tains with expensive advance purchase prices may be here for many years to come.

dosxuk

Established Member
Didn't Abellio win as only bidder after the other entrants were rejected over the pension risk contact issues with the DfT?

If so, their stock plans, which also included using another operators 170's even though they have/had no plans to replace them, should be seen in the light of that - we got this because there was no other offer on the table to compare it against.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Didn't Abellio win as only bidder after the other entrants were rejected over the pension risk contact issues with the DfT?

If so, their stock plans, which also included using another operators 170's even though they have/had no plans to replace them, should be seen in the light of that - we got this because there was no other offer on the table to compare it against.
Stagecoach was only disqualified at the same time as Abellio was awarded the contract. In any case, they'd be held to whatever bid they put in and wouldn't have the opportunity to withdraw and change it just because they no longer had any competition.

misterredmist

After using EMR regional services between Nottingham and Manchester/Liverpool over the past 3-4 weeks, I have noticed that there have been short formed services, which seem to be happening more and more often.

It seems around half of the services are only formed of 2 coaches. Mostly run by 158s. The train I am on now (1R70) 13:45 Nottingham to Liverpool Lime Street is full and standing, as it is only a 2 coach train.

So it begs the question, why are short forms becoming increasingly more common across this route? Do the 170s fail regularly, which requires short notice set swaps?
There's obviously a weakness within the regulations. Such long distance services should not be allowed with such small, short formed, totally unsuitable and inadequate trains....it's a disgrace. Many a time, travelling northbound, and changing at Peterborough, I have watched across the platform, an EMR ex Norwich for Liverpool pitch up with just two carriages, with people awaiting to board a service that is already full and standing........ Cattle Class........ thanking my lucky stars that I am not one of the pax trying to board.....

paddy1

The class 810s will provide an increase in seating capacity of arround 25% compared to the current fleet of 222s and 180s. There will be a decrease of arround 14% in first class seating but an increase in standard of arround 36%. This is very welcome but if you factor in all of the seats lost when the HSTs were withdrwan passengers traveling to and from Leicester and onwards to Sheffield and Nottingham will see roughly the same number of seats being provided as when EMT handed back the keys.

EMR do of course have the 360s and if these are included the total number of seats being provided from St Pancras is goign to be considrabley higher than with EMT and with a sixth departure each hour Abellio and the DFT can correctly claim that the new franchsise has provided more seats, more often as promised.

The key will be the theroy that the 360s will cater for passengers at the south end of the line freeing up capacity to the midland cities. If it does then once the 810s arrive and assuming rail passenger figuers return to pre covid times EMR should be ok with overcrowding being no worse than before, although this did get bad at times. If they do not switch in the numbers expected or rail passenger numbers grow higher than pre coivd then overcrowded tains with expensive advance purchase prices may be here for many years to come.
With both Nottingham services now stopping at Kettering and running non stop between there and London, a significant proportion of those Kettering passengers who 'should' be transferring to the 8 car 360 service will probably gravitate to the non stop service instead, made worse by both Nottingham services now only being a 4 or 5 car 222/180 instead of one of them being an 8 car HST, as used to be the case. Some Wellingborough passengers may also opt to use Kettering instead because of the half hourly non stop service.

With both Sheffield services running non stop between Leicester and London, there is no capacity to be freed up at the southern end of the line, made worse by some of the Sheffield fasts now being only 4 or 5 cars instead of 7 car 222.

Status
Not open for further replies.