• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Midlands Trains - Depot Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

rchta455

I've been lucky enough to get that date yep. It's taken a bit of time waiting to try and get my foot in the door.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LFCUK

Had that email which was followed up by this one on the 17th

Dear Xxxxxx

2014-11: Depot Driver

I am pleased to inform you that after consideration of your application you have been shortlisted to proceed to stage one testing for the above role.

Currently we do not have any dates for 1st stage testing but anticipate this will be in Spring of this year. We will be in touch in the near future with an invite to your stage 1 testing session.

Thank you for your continued patience and congratulations on making the shortlist for testing.

Yours sincerely

The Recruitment Team
East Midlands Trains

Hi

I got the same email, soo happy as i have not had much luck in the past - been told the assesment day is very hard and we will be told if we fail on the day.

Wondering if there is anything we could use to study prior to attending.

Do you know how many vacanciies there are?

Regards

LFCUK

Just had another email from EMT see below... How can they do this :cry:

Further to previous correspondence you have received in relation to your application for the role of Depot Driver. I write to update you further on the status of your Depot Driver application.

We have received a particularly high volume of high quality applications for the Depot Driver role.

In light of the above our talent pool is presently at full capacity. Successful candidates are usually held in the pool for a period of 12 months. With the present number of candidates held in the pool and the forecast number of depot driver courses we will be unable to progress your application within the 12 month time frame. Therefore we are not in a position to continue to hold your application in the Depot Driver Talent pool.

Treadstone

Seems like maybe they whittled down the apps to a talent pool of maybe 50 or so in Feb then decided to further reduce due to the high pass rate at recent interviews, it's a shame they started conducting interviews etc when the apps were still live on the website, guess quite a few passed testing in January/February and made the course in March.

Perhaps the apps themselves are scored not just a pass/fail and that affects talent pool position?

I haven't had that email myself though so perhaps I am still in the pool for a stage 1?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
@lfc, I wouldn't write it off completely, one poster was contacted and offered an interview two years after applying for a senior conductor post.

387star

On Moderation
I was invited for assessment in early january but turned it down as discovered after applying I was lucky enough to make it on a reserve list for mainline with a different toc

Sorry for those involved but don't give up

Treadstone

What's a reserve list ml? you mean a talent pool? Would it not have made sense to have taken the assessment with East mids (or dm interview even since you already had the assessments passed via freightliner awhile back).

On another forum I use there was a guy successful in gaining a position with East mids as a depot driver back in 2013 and seemed adament of a transition to mainline within 2 years, the role here is solid Imo, especially since the cost of living is much lower than southern toc's.

387star

On Moderation
I live nowhere near Nottingham but not a decision I took lightly

I am on hold internally for fgw as is everyone else

Not sure depot driving appeals to me anymore either

Last edited:

LFCUK

Thank you Treadstone

Is it worth me calling and complaining to them... Feel so gutted after many attempts of trying to get into emt I thought I finally had my chance I saw light at the end of the tunnel only to be dragged back. I feel cheated

Hope nobody else has to go through this.

ash39

Established Member
No it is not.

Complaining about them not giving you a job - what would the best possible outcome of that be? They still won't, and you'll have wasted your time complaining.

WCMLaddict

Thank you Treadstone

Is it worth me calling and complaining to them... Feel so gutted after many attempts of trying to get into emt I thought I finally had my chance I saw light at the end of the tunnel only to be dragged back. I feel cheated

Hope nobody else has to go through this.

What would you complain about?

That others had better applications? or
They received high volumes of them? or
Rather than letting you wonder they told you exactly what "the score" is?

:roll:

LFCUK

So true there is no point in calling them... Suppose I just need to apply for another job if and when one comes up.

Thanks everyone on the forum for the advice...

MichaelAMW

So true there is no point in calling them... Suppose I just need to apply for another job if and when one comes up.

Thanks everyone on the forum for the advice...

I would say, having recruited people in various bits of the public sector, that a call like that would be helpful, and not unwelcome to EMT, if it contained some positively phrased questions aimed at helping you with your next move in the world of jobs. It may be that there's nothing much they can say, of course, if there are many applicants. I have the view, in general, that prospective employers expect people to jump through multiple hoops just to give them the luxury of having a good field of candidates to choose from, which is why it's such a poor show when companies say they give no feedback, or even any response at all, to those who are not successful. If *you* can get something *useful* out of calling them then go ahead but not if it's just going to be a rant - after all, the opportunity might reappear in the future and you don't want to be remembered as "That Guy"...

People are eliminated at various stages along the way and this is just one of them. In effect, they were wondering whether to invite you to the next stage and they told you that by using this "talent pool" label. Whether that's better than simply telling you nothing is a matter of opinion, I guess. I think your mistake, in the sense of what is upsetting you, is to interpret the situation as EMT having somehow made you a promise that they are now going back on. Obviously, you're disappointed but you've not failed anything, as such, so all you can do now is find a route forward - as others have effectively said, you can't change the past.

Last edited:

Northernlad14

Has anyone been contacted about a start date?

Does anyone know the normal shift pattern at Nottingham depot, number of rest days etc.

Also if EMT have introduced a reduced salary for trainee depot drivers as during my interview the manager stated they were shortly going to introduce this?

Thanks

Treadstone

Has anyone been contacted about a start date?

Does anyone know the normal shift pattern at Nottingham depot, number of rest days etc.

Also if EMT have introduced a reduced salary for trainee depot drivers as during my interview the manager stated they were shortly going to introduce this?

Thanks

When did you have your interview? the training period is relatively short around 15 weeks iirc so would be strange to have a lower salary for a short time, I'm still shortlisted awaiting stage 1.

TheNorff

Hi, yes I got a call this week offering me a start date in July at Derby. Think I'm still in shock to be honest!

Status
Not open for further replies.