• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EC HST Repaint

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Failed Unit

Established Member
It looks bloody awful on the 225s, and the same applies here.

Agreed, definately not the best livery to be on a HST, I liked BR blue and the IC liveries, but many privatised companies have made the HST look good, sadly not this time. As for the 91s bring back IC swallow!

87019Chris

To be fair I think the major problem with this is the fact that the purple stripe is way too thin if it was thicker I think it would look better as the loco almost seems bare noting on it to me but that's my opinion though
Chris

SprinterMan

Established Member
I agree. Just compared to GNER red and Navy it really does look naff. Even the font used for the East Coast lettering is uninspiring. EC need a clever logo and to get the entire fleet uniform as soon as possible. The stock looks very untidy compared with other IC operators.

NXEA's intercity fleet is in an equally iffy livery ;)

Skimble19

Established Member
Which livery would that be? They've got plenty <D
I agree. Just compared to GNER red and Navy it really does look naff. Even the font used for the East Coast lettering is uninspiring. EC need a clever logo and to get the entire fleet uniform as soon as possible. The stock looks very untidy compared with other IC operators.
So you suggest changing the logo yet again?! Seriously.. you say you want a uniform fleet, then suggest EC needs a new logo, which would then mean all the sets that have already been done would then need to be re-done - incurring further cost and wasting time.

Dreadnought

NXEA's intercity fleet is in an equally iffy livery ;)

I saw 90012 at Crewe on Thursday on a test run to & from the Electric depot and it looks like it has had a full repaint into the 'one' blue livery with white NX stripe!

It had no numbers except for a bit of card in the window but had its nameplates reapplied!

Yew

Established Member
They could have at least matched the silver with the silver bits on the carriages

MCR247

Established Member
You realise that the carriages are in a different livery...?

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Like others, I'm not a fan of the East Coast livery. There is too much grey and I can't help but feel that painting all the 91s/DVTs and HST power-cars into the purple scheme (as worn by 91101) would have at least brightened things up a little. Still not a patch on IC Swallow or GNER though...

Yew

Established Member
You realise that the carriages are in a different livery...?

Yes, but If they had matched the colours, a repaint wouldnt have been needed on the carriages. (however all of those in sliver too, would look sweet... silver streaks back on the ECML too )

The thing that bugs me most is how the yellow goes between the headlights, I think that ruins HST's compared to a wider patch (like EMT hst's have)

TomJ93

Am I missing something here? EC have repainted a PC in a new livery when it didn't need it?

They would have ended up with two uniform fleets once the 225s have been painted, and the HSTs have been repainted to last them a good few years already!

Surely the logical thing to do was to repaint the 91s in the HST scheme, like 91111, then only the EMT HST would need an undue paint job.

jon0844

Veteran Member
It is a shame EC started with a bright, metallic, silver and then switched to a simple grey. I believe it was down to cost, but surely they should have bought all the paint in one go to get the best price, and would have known the total cost.

MCR247

Established Member
Yes, but If they had matched the colours, a repaint wouldnt have been needed on the carriages. (however all of those in sliver too, would look sweet... silver streaks back on the ECML too )

The thing that bugs me most is how the yellow goes between the headlights, I think that ruins HST's compared to a wider patch (like EMT hst's have)

What are you on about....?

Are you suggesting that the repaint into a new livery should match the old one...? Surely that defeats the object, considering that the powercar was in the same livery as the coaches beforehand...?

whhistle

On Moderation
Does anyone have pictures of the 91's in the other liveries?

I personally don't like it. It's almost like they are keeping the livery simple and easy to change for the new operator. In which case, they should have just left the fleet how it was and made it part of the franchise for the new op.

I quite like First Great Western's livery. It's modern, power cars are simple and makes the old coaching stock look considerably newer.

TomJ93

What are you on about....?

Are you suggesting that the repaint into a new livery should match the old one...? Surely that defeats the object, considering that the powercar was in the same livery as the coaches beforehand...?

What I am saying is That a GovT run TOC does not need it's own brand identity/livery only to have a new one when refranchised! the HST livery was quite new and worked well with the east coast vinyl that had been added.

The 225s needed a repaint, the blue was very tired. Why didn't they paint them like the HSTs? Rather than paint the 225s in a new livery, which in turn requires the HSTs to be unnecessarily repainted?

Jdrowlands

NX liveried 91111 looks far worse than the EC silver/gray ones. I actually like the new 225 livery, especially when you get a full painted set.

It seems that the EC brand identity has slowly developed from next to nothing to this whole 'Welcome to East Coast' stuff that they are keen on ATM...

I agree that the HSTs worked well in re-branded NX colours, but I think the new one's nicer.

MCR247

Established Member
What I am saying is That a GovT run TOC does not need it's own brand identity/livery only to have a new one when refranchised! the HST livery was quite new and worked well with the east coast vinyl that had been added.

The 225s needed a repaint, the blue was very tired. Why didn't they paint them like the HSTs? Rather than paint the 225s in a new livery, which in turn requires the HSTs to be unnecessarily repainted?

Well this livery is going to be kept on East Coast for a while, through the next franchise....

Skimble19

Established Member
I saw 90012 at Crewe on Thursday on a test run to & from the Electric depot and it looks like it has had a full repaint into the 'one' blue livery with white NX stripe!

It had no numbers except for a bit of card in the window but had its nameplates reapplied!
How odd.. surely even NX wouldn't paint a loco back into ONE livery?!
Does anyone have pictures of the 91's in the other liveries?

I personally don't like it. It's almost like they are keeping the livery simple and easy to change for the new operator. In which case, they should have just left the fleet how it was and made it part of the franchise for the new op.

I quite like First Great Western's livery. It's modern, power cars are simple and makes the old coaching stock look considerably newer.
So hang on - you don't like East Coast's livery because it's simple, yet you like FGW's simple blue only power car's?!
Here is a video of the newly painted EC livery - http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=whQJlN9-ARw
There are more video's of the new livery, just click on his account.
Could you post a non-mobile link please? It won't work for those of us not on mobiles :P

londonmidland

Established Member
How odd.. surely even NX wouldn't paint a loco back into ONE livery?!
So hang on - you don't like East Coast's livery because it's simple, yet you like FGW's simple blue only power car's?!
Could you post a non-mobile link please? It won't work for those of us not on mobiles :P

Sorry, it won't display the normal YouTube link on my iPod :/.

387star

On Moderation
Well this livery is going to be kept on East Coast for a while, through the next franchise....

The base will but at least the horrid pink stripe will be scrapped. Surely the grey livery is an ideal base for vinyls to then be applied.

I wonder if NX would have kept the GNER brand had there been no legal/ownership implications
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
NX liveried 91111 looks far worse than the EC silver/gray ones. I actually like the new 225 livery, especially when you get a full painted set.

It seems that the EC brand identity has slowly developed from next to nothing to this whole 'Welcome to East Coast' stuff that they are keen on ATM...

I agree that the HSTs worked well in re-branded NX colours, but I think the new one's nicer.

Yes East Coast branding on the old NXEC livery is a near perfect fit shame the same can't be said about GNER livery!

jon0844

Veteran Member
All the purple/pink bits are vinyl aren't they? Certainly the logo is.

The end result must be a plain grey train, allowing the application of vinyls as required at some point in the future.

whhistle

On Moderation
Yeah, sorry I meant the livery as a whole.
I guess the colours just don't sit right with me. The silver is too silver, whereas Virgin's silver is more to the grey side. Maybe it will just take some time to get used to, like Midland Mainline's new livery. I thought the NX livery is alright.

jon0844

Veteran Member
The EC grey is rather boring, sure. When it was first done, I said so myself and then saw the bright, shiny, metallic finish paint in the flesh and was rather impressed and 'stood corrected'.

But soon after, EC stopped using this paint and now it's back to being as dull in reality as it is in photos. However, to most people it's just paint and I doubt anyone cares that much.

Obviously some of the trains are in the nice paint, but it's a real shame they didn't continue using it.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
All the HSTs were in a uniform colour scheme i dont see the point of this. I personally like the EC livery on the HSTs but not sure about this one....

jon0844

Veteran Member
EC hasn't had a proper livery until the grey/purple came along. Everything else was a temporary version based on the previous TOC(s).

As the HSTs and Mk4s are properly painted, I presume this will form the 'undercoat' and protect the bodywork for many years to come, even if the company that takes over from EC applies vinyls to the whole thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.