• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ECML problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Surprised nobody has posted about the issues on the ECML. Some trains appear to be delayed by over 2 hours!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

attics26

up to 4 hours yesterday - its becoming the norm at some point in the day - aslong as its sorted before I start work !

another fatality it seems, this has to be the worst start to a year for similar incidents in the 34 years I have worked for the railways.

Last edited:

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Due to a person hit by a train at Berwick according to NRE.

amcluesent

Person hit by train at York yesterday. TBH, I think it's now time for procedures to be exmained by BTP and the TOCs. It may be unsavoury to leave the person until services have stopped for the night, but delays are getting out of order.

Last edited:

Stats

Man killed in Newcastle on East Coast Mainline

By Lisa Hutchinson
Mar 1 2012

A MAN was killed today on a busy North East railway track after being struck by a train.

Carriages were suspended on the East Coast Mainline after a train driver reported the incident at around 8.25am.

Emergency services were called to the scene and British Transport Police are dealt with the situation.

The body was found near the line in the Heaton area of Newcastle.

A Northern Trains train driver reported the death which is not being treated as suspicous.

Trains were halted as passengers had to make a U-turn back to their stations. Buses were then put in place to transport commuters. Lines were reopened at 9:50am.

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nort...-coast-mainline-72703-30438020/#ixzz1ns3u0AnW

EM2

Established Member
Person hit by train at York yesterday. TBH, I think it's now time for procedures to be exmained by BTP and the TOCs. It may be unsavoury to leave the person until services have stopped for the night, but delays are getting out of order.
So you'll let trains past the site of a fatality, causing upset and distress to passenegers and crews, contaminating possible crime scenes with oil and grease, possibly destroying other evidence?

Jeremy B

Self, self, self & self

Aictos

Established Member

No this is very wrong, if the deceased was related to you then would you rather allow the BTP and TOCs get on with their job and try to reopen the lines as soon as they can or let the deceased left there with various trains going by upsetting the scene and upsetting the thousands of passengers who have to be subjected to the view?

Somehow I suspect the former would apply, don't you?

Jock

God almighty. Have you no respect at all for the dignity of the dead? Regardless of the circumstance?

Have you thought of how long it takes to get a replacement crew out to the affected train? How long it takes to mobilise Network Rail staff? How long (if deemed necessary as yesterday) it takes to clear the area and evacuate the train? Most importantly the need to find all the remains of the body - obviously not

The BTP aim to get the line open in 90 minutes of an incident occuring, however there are a lot more factors to be considered.. For instance is the incident deemed suspicious or non-suspicious?.

I can't understand why you worry about delays given the compensation culture adopted by certain persons on this forum. Selfish? Just a tad.

Geezertronic

Established Member
Self, self, self & self? It's hardly selfish to wonder if there might be other ways to avoid thousands of people being affected by things like this every single day somewhere or other, is it?

I think suggesting the deceased should be left at the scene of the incident whilst others carry on past as if nothing happens is a bit harse though...

D1009

Established Member
Self, self, self & self? It's hardly selfish to wonder if there might be other ways to avoid thousands of people being affected by things like this every single day somewhere or other, is it?

Jock and others, I'm sorry if you find this offensive, but the selfish ones are those who choose to end their lives in that way. I know it's sad for their families, but my sympathies lie with the driver and the people who have to clean up the aftermath. Also what about those amongst the thousands who are delayed who are themselves on their way to funerals of loved ones ? What about surgeons on their way to carry out life saving operation, and other people making vital journeys ? Unfortunately, the line has to be blocked while the police investigate, and this is what takes up most of the time, but usually there are no suspicious circumstances.

sprite

but the selfish ones are those who choose to end their lives in that way
I hope you have not had to feel so low you have considered ending your own life. I have. To say it is selfish is unfair, have you considered that maybe the problems a person is suffering is causing more suffering for others around them and that they are trying to stop that.

D1009

Established Member
I hope you have not had to feel so low you have considered ending your own life. I have. To say it is selfish is unfair, have you considered that maybe the problems a person is suffering is causing more suffering for others around them and that they are trying to stop that.

Sprite, in discussing this subject I was a little fearful that there would be someone on here in your position, and I do sympathise with you, but it is a real problem on the railway.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
We have been through this many times before. Suicide is a sensitive subject on this forum for many members. It is very difficult to understand what one has to deal with unless one has been through it himself/herself so can I request that all members show some consideration and think about the possible impact of their words before posting please.

Status
Not open for further replies.