• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ECML Signalling Systems Failure in the Newark area (06/03/2024)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

43095john

According to our trains staff we are waiting for space in York but baring in mind 3 or 4 trains have gone past now I think patience is wearing thin.
Once theres a block to southbound ECML traffic most London Bound trains get stacked on the Up Slow on the approaches to York to avoid blocking up Yorks Platforms and avoids spreading the delays onto non London bound traffic

Lucy1501

Digital railway! It's the future!
Newark is controlled by older style relay interlockings from the panel based Doncaster PSB. A local control panel is provided at Newark, which depending on the failure may be able to be switched in.

Banham7

LNER have now stated that disruption will continue until the end of the day and there is no estimate as to when lines will reopen. No Avanti ticket acceptance due to OHLE issues at Cheddington. https://www.lner.co.uk/travel-infor...isruption-id=2D2B5A19961D4153BC3A5159AE4AE3F6

Major disruption is expected until the end of the day.

Hull Trains Customer Advice

You may use your tickets on LNER services via any reasonable route.

LNER Customer Advice

Due to the severity of today's disruption and there currently being no estimate for lines to reopen, LNER are advising customers not to travel today, Wednesday 6 March. Ticket can be used throughout Thursday 7 March at no extra cost.

You can use your ticket on the following train operating companies at no extra cost:

• TransPennine Express between Manchester, Leeds, York and Newcastle in both directions
  • Northern via any route, including services between Sheffield and Doncaster, Manchester and Leeds, Leeds and York, and between Leeds, Harrogate, Bradford and Skipton
  • East Midlands Railway between London St Pancras and Sheffield in both directions
  • CrossCountry between Sheffield, Doncaster, Leeds, York, Newcastle and Edinburgh in both directions
  • Great Northern and Thameslink between London Kings Cross and Stevenage, Peterborough in both directions
  • Hull Trains between London Kings Cross and Hull
  • Grand Central between London Kings Cross, York, Sunderland and Bradford in both directions
Please see the alternative route map for more details.

Please note it is currently not possible to travel via the West Coast Mainline between London Euston and Manchester with Avanti West Coast due to disruption on this route caused by damage to the overhead electric wires at Cheddington.

zwk500

Veteran Member
First train released from the queue at Holme Jn, so hopefully the stranded trains should slowly get into platforms.

skyhigh

Established Member
The cause is cable theft.

When someone nicks the cable it doesn't matter if it's 'digital signalling' or relay interlocking. It's going to stop working regardless.

LAX54

Established Member
Looks like someone has nicked a load of cable ! That'll stop the job whatever the system....not a 5 min fix

Banham7

Looks like someone has nicked a load of cable ! That'll stop the job whatever the system....not a 5 min fix
That'll be the 4th time in recent weeks then. Different location however, last three were in the Collingham - Flat Crossing area. This one appears to be in the Claypole area.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
That'll be the 4th time in recent weeks then. Different location however, last three were in the Collingham - Flat Crossing area. This one appears to be in the Claypole area.
Was just going to see. Seems to be a very common thing in this area now... Surely with the scale of delays worth focussing some resources into catching em.

In fairness they probably already have, hence the slight change in location. Needle in a haystack sort of situation.

Established Member
Including one night as NWR were fixing the issue, they saw people/lights further down line as they attempted to pinch even more.

Banham7

Was just going to see. Seems to be a very common thing in this area now... Surely with the scale of delays worth focussing some resources into catching em.

In fairness they probably already have, hence the slight change in location. Needle in a haystack sort of situation.
Indeed it is. There have been patrols in recent days near Collingham, seen vans with "Trespass Patrol" on them in the area, so they are *trying* to deter them, but sadly it just seems to shift the issue.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Does the cable still contain copper is it it fibre now, so they are causing all this disruption for nothing? What is more concern if it is copper is they are able to sell it on again. No point in doing crime if no-one will buy what you have stolen.

800Travel

1E22 (1727 Newcastle to Kings Cross) being held at Newcastle, presumably due to this. Any insiders have some information about when we may move please? Thank you

skyhigh

Established Member
Does the cable still contain copper is it it fibre now, so they are causing all this disruption for nothing? What is more concern if it is copper is they are able to sell it on again. No point in doing crime if no-one will buy what you have stolen.
There is still copper cable. Electricity doesn't transmit very well down fibre optic cable...

Established Member
1E22 (1727 Newcastle to Kings Cross) being held at Newcastle, presumably due to this. Any insiders have some information about when we may move please? Thank you
No eta as NWR still have to implement emergency special working. Also stations in route are filling/full with trains.

Where you heading to? As acceptance is in place with other operators, eg Northern, TPE, XC, Avanti

Failed Unit

Established Member
There is still copper cable. Electricity doesn't transmit very well down fibre optic cable..
It doesn't, I guess that will be a big in for the digital signalling. No need to get power to these lineside signals. Although as I said on my previous post, it is also very concerning they can can get money for the cable - no questions asked. When I have sold copper to scrap dealers they are wanting a lot of information about where I live, photo id etc. Which I thought was standard these days. This copper was old pipework from some DIY which is feasable that I would be getting rid of. I would expect lots more questions if I turned up with cable (That wasn't of the type you would find in your home)

Banham7

1A30 finally made it through to Grantham and is just under 4 hours late. 1B84 took just under 4 hours to go from Grantham to Newark, a 14 mile journey.

sh24

Family member was booked on the 18:00 from the Cross. She's now on the 20:00 easyJet from Luton to Edinburgh which was, miraculously, only £100. BA wanted £450 from London City.

Meanwhile I'm enjoying a landslip at Dawlish and track circuit problems at Exeter on my journey to London.....

Established Member
Just seen a Grand Central 180 coming through Lincoln, presumably related to this?
Yeah GC diverting where possible, and LNER 1E13 has also gone that route.

Family member was booked on the 18:00 from the Cross. She's now on the 20:00 easyJet from Luton to Edinburgh which was, miraculously, only £100. BA wanted £450 from London City.

Meanwhile I'm enjoying a landslip at Dawlish and track circuit problems at Exeter on my journey to London.....
She could have used her existing ticket on Avanti west Coast to Edinburgh.

LAX54

Established Member
Maybe the Railway needs an individual type of Hi - Viz clothing, items used now seem to be generic, the same is worn by every Tom, Dick and Harry, so they could be lineside, a train passes, and would not even think twice about the people he could see

stuartl

It doesn't, I guess that will be a big in for the digital signalling. No need to get power to these lineside signals. Although as I said on my previous post, it is also very concerning they can can get money for the cable - no questions asked. When I have sold copper to scrap dealers they are wanting a lot of information about where I live, photo id etc. Which I thought was standard these days. This copper was old pipework from some DIY which is feasable that I would be getting rid of. I would expect lots more questions if I turned up with cable (That wasn't of the type you would find in your home)
Won't they still need power for point motors etc. ?

sh24

Yeah GC diverting where possible, and LNER 1E13 has also gone that route.

She could have used her existing ticket on Avanti west Coast to Edinburgh.

18:30 from Euston gets to Glasgow at 23:11, schlep to Queen Street and back at Waverley for 00:32. Eastjet will see her home by 22:00 and without the risk of standing from Euston.

Established Member
18:30 from Euston gets to Glasgow at 23:11, schlep to Queen Street and back at Waverley for 00:32. Eastjet will see her home by 22:00 and without the risk of standing from Euston.
Yeah, I forget about the long journey time (also most likely rammed).

Nothing of LNER leaving Kings Cross until at least 20:03 now, everything cancelled, including the last Edinburgh’s.

Status
Not open for further replies.