• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ECML Signalling Systems Failure in the Newark area (06/03/2024)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Yeah GC diverting where possible, and LNER 1E13 has also gone that route.

She could have used her existing ticket on Avanti west Coast to Edinburgh.
What percentage of drivers sign the joint line? I know it is a drop of water in the Ocean but some of the Lincoln - London services got caught up which could have gone via Sleaford. But of course if the drivers don't sign it they can't.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

philjo

Established Member
Shambles at Kings Cross earlier. The 1709 Kings Lynn service was announced as leaving from platform 7 - which was the only vacant platform. It Normally leaves from platform 1. The 1712 Peterborough service was boarding on platform 9, 1657 Cambridge stopper was on platform 10.
The barriers to the main station were blocked off with LNER staff shouting at passengers trying to access platform 7 to use the entrance to 9 & 10 then go via platform 8. Problem was the link between 9 and 8 was also blocked off with staff there not willing to let passengers through. Eventually it was opened as a large crowd had now backed up on platform 9.
By the time we got back along platform 8 the main barriers had already reopened.

Last edited:

paul1609

Established Member
Maybe the Railway needs an individual type of Hi - Viz clothing, items used now seem to be generic, the same is worn by every Tom, Dick and Harry, so they could be lineside, a train passes, and would not even think twice about the people he could see
I seem to remember that locals became suspicious of men removing rails for scrap from a freight line in Tyneside and called the Police on the grounds that they were working too hard to be rail industry employees.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Sabotage of public infrastructure needs to be made a more serious offence than "theft" and should attract draconian punishment.

Established Member
Normal working granted at 1845, with emergency special working withdrawn.

YorksLad12

Established Member
That would explain Sheffield this evening then. EMR service to London leaving "full and standing", according to the screen. Four deep on P2 waiting for the next one. So my delayed CrossCountry service was shifted from P1 (where the Huddersfield stopper had arrived late) into... yes, P2. Had to get the elbows out, and we left a further 4 minutes down as a result.

Maybe the Railway needs an individual type of Hi - Viz clothing, items used now seem to be generic, the same is worn by every Tom, Dick and Harry, so they could be lineside, a train passes, and would not even think twice about the people he could see
Have you heard the story of Cleckheaton? The only railway station to have been stolen? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleckheaton_Central_railway_station

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
LNER going to get anything away to Edinburgh still tonight then?
The plan looks to be to run the 1900 with additional calls basically everywhere (Peterborough, Grantham, Newark, Retford, Doncaster, York, Darlington, Durham, Newcastle, Morpeth, Alnmouth, Berwick, Dunbar, Edinburgh).

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Do they have a 20-car set spare to cope with the demand for that? :lol:
It's managed to get underway at 1910, at least!

2000 Sunderland (no doubt curtailed at Newcastle in reality) also running with additional calls - first stop Grantham then all LNER-served stations up to Newcastle.

There's actually a Hull Trains service showing as 15 carriages - I wonder if there's been a set swap somewhere along this trip: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:C11533/2024-03-06/detailed#allox_id=0

David Dunning

I’m actually at Kings Cross. Well done Robbie from LNER stood in the middle of a huge crowd fielding questions, very welcome. 1900 to Edinburgh did get off ok. There was a huge crush and they asked Peterborough passengers to get off and use GN 1918 service instead. The 2000 is being announced as stopping at extra stations BUT is said to be going to Sunderland which will please GC customers who don’t have a service to the Wear. A Hull and Selby service should board at around 2015. Announcements on PA system have been clear and helpful.

And now the 2000 has been cancelled

father_jack

To continue my off topic WCML comments that now nearly need a thread of their own there are wires down near Tring.... I'll shut up now mods !!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240306_194641_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240306_194641_Chrome.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 99

Established Member
To continue my off topic WCML comments that now nearly need a thread of their own there are wires down near Tring.... I'll shut up now mods !!!
That’s been ongoing since about 1400, it is why Avanti declined ticket acceptance for ECML customers, initially while the impact of the dewirement was fully understood.
The dewirement is in Northchurch tunnel so only affecting one line.

High Dyke

Established Member
It doesn't, I guess that will be a big in for the digital signalling. No need to get power to these lineside signals. Although as I said on my previous post, it is also very concerning they can can get money for the cable - no questions asked. When I have sold copper to scrap dealers they are wanting a lot of information about where I live, photo id etc. Which I thought was standard these days. This copper was old pipework from some DIY which is feasable that I would be getting rid of. I would expect lots more questions if I turned up with cable (That wasn't of the type you would find in your home)
Not always the case around Newark. There are those that may not have such robust procedures when someone arrives with scrap items. Just saying.

Oddly enough, these recent attacks are about 5 years since the previous spate in the Newark area. I'm not sure what the miscreants were sentenced too.

Parham Wood

Years ago we had cable theft in the St Helens area. Railway police mounted a night watch but the cable was pulled out by a road vehicle from effectively the other end right under their noses.

Trainman40083

At one time, you'd only see orange hi Viz on the railway, and yellow on roads. Then both were very common.

Won't they still need power for point motors etc. ?
Certainly would. I guess though, you could have less points, except in station, or junction areas.

Looks like someone has nicked a load of cable ! That'll stop the job whatever the system....not a 5 min fix
At one time, the railway used to spray the cable with smart water, so you could tell who had handled it. There were supposed to be regular checks on the scrap merchants to see if they were handling any unauthorised materials and ensure all transactions were traceable (not in cash) LOL. Then the thieves would set fire to the cable to burn off the rubber sheath. Seems a lot of effort to me, as the amount of copper seems small with all the rubber insulation. I guess, at one time, it was just British Rail employed staff with track access. Now, all sorts of companies with agency staff

Last edited:

Established Member
At one time, you'd only see orange hi Viz on the railway, and yellow on roads. Then both were very common.

Anecdotally, I’ve also noticed more orange used away from the railway these days. Is it because some contractors do work on both road and rail, so use orange for both?!

Mugby

Established Member
That would explain Sheffield this evening then. EMR service to London leaving "full and standing", according to the screen. Four deep on P2 waiting for the next one. So my delayed CrossCountry service was shifted from P1 (where the Huddersfield stopper had arrived late) into... yes, P2. Had to get the elbows out, and we left a further 4 minutes down as a result.
Indeed! I was there too, having arrived from Meadowhall on the Huddersfield stopper, I thought I might just get the 1732 EMR service to Derby but we were held at Nunnery for 5 minutes so no chance of that, perhaps just as well!

As I went over to Platform 6 for the XC Plymouth at 1756, I couldn't believe the number of passengers on P2, in fact people on the footbridge were taking photos of the crowds through the windows! I heard several shouts of "GET BACK" as the platform staff tried to dispatch the northbound XC off P2 but the sheer numbers put paid to that!
The next two EMR trains to London were single 5-car sets and I doubt they would have cleared the numbers trying to board. Thankfully, the XC Plymouth emptied out at Sheffield and there were plenty of seats south thereof!

14xxDave

Yes the guys who have just replaced my water main were all dressed in orange. Seems to be the new norm!

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
At one time, the railway used to spray the cable with smart water, so you could tell who had handled it. There were supposed to be regular checks on the scrap merchants to see if they were handling any unauthorised materials and ensure all transactions were traceable (not in cash) LOL. Then the thieves would set fire to the cable to burn off the rubber sheath. Seems a lot of effort to me, as the amount of copper seems small with all the rubber insulation. I guess, at one time, it was just British Rail employed staff with track access. Now, all sorts of companies with agency staff
Lineside signalling in this area is best part of 50 years old and will be copper power cables and multicores it wasn't covered in smart water then.

Need to go back to burying them is the only answer or perhaps mechanical signals not much money in those wires!

kev1974

Why are LNER still saying "fault with the signalling" and not just tell people that a load of vital cable was stolen. I am sure the ranting public might be a little more understanding if they knew the real cause was external interference from toerags?

CarrotPie

Why are LNER still saying "fault with the signalling" and not just tell people that a load of vital cable was stolen. I am sure the ranting public might be a little more understanding if they knew the real cause was external interference from toerags?
Because anything wrong with the signalling system is always "a fault with the signalling system". The public are dumb (allegedly).

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Anecdotally, I’ve also noticed more orange used away from the railway these days. Is it because some contractors do work on both road and rail, so use orange for both?!

I did some volunteer tree chopping with my employer recently and we had to wear hi viz.

Also, so do our building contractors.

Intercity_225

What happened to 1N93?

Started Kings Cross 26 down, passed Hornsey bang on time, passed Peterborough 131 mins late (fair enough) and got no report between Grantham and Doncaster (could it have gone via Spalding?)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.