• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Effect of strike on Tuesday 26 May?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WatcherZero

Established Member
Out of curiosity, as someone who doesn't really understand a lot about staffing etc, how are services able to be run even while staff are on strike? Are ToC's counting on some signalers etc to still be working (either because they started their shift before the start of the strike or because they are breaking the strike) etc?

Not 100% of staff will be in a union, some who are in the union may still not agree with the strike and some of the required skills may be possessed by more senior workers who have been promoted. For example if there is a bus driver strike some of the management/maintenence may be ex drivers who have the required license.

Rail unions have called off a national bank holiday strike after reaching agreement with Network Rail.

Members of the RMT and TSSA unions had been due to walk out for 24 hours from 17:00 BST on Monday in a row over pay.

The RMT said the union's executive had decided to suspend the strike, after the TSSA earlier called off its action

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32832191

Last edited:

SPADTrap

Established Member
http://news.sky.com/story/1488365/unions-suspend-planned-rail-strike

Sky News said:
Unions Suspend Planned Rail Strike
Both unions have suspended walk-out plans, averting travel chaos for thousands of passengers over the bank holiday.
14:46, UK,
Thursday 21 May 2015

A planned rail strike has been put on hold after both unions involved suspended their walk-out plans.

The news comes after the unions - the RMT and TSSA - received a new pay offer from Network Rail.

More follows...

sarahj

Established Member
Not 100% of staff will be in a union, some who are in the union may still not agree with the strike and some of the required skills may be possessed by more senior workers who have been promoted. For example if there is a bus driver strike some of the management/maintenence may be ex drivers who have the required license.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32832191

Managers working signal boxes. Not enough to cover them all, but some of the big ones a basic service could be run.

Anyway, all moot now.

GodAtum

On Moderation
i am going to have a little celebration and dance around the office :D

It is the same feeling when I got the all-clear from a medical issue I had! A massive sense of relief!

marks87

Established Member
Now we can play the game of how long it takes for each TOC to acknowledge the strike is off.

ScotRail have confirmed on Twitter that services will as normal on Monday and Tuesday. VTEC still saying the strike isn't officially confirmed as off - despite the RMT having posted a statement on their website.

Chouette

Industrial Action: 25 - 26 May 2015
INFORMATION:

Normal Service Reinstated for 25 and 26 May

The planned industrial action by members of the RMT and TSSA unions that work for track and infrastructure operator, Network Rail has been suspended.

As a result of this Virgin Trains will now be running its originally timetabled services on the West Coast Mainline on both Monday 25 and Tuesday 26 May. This refers to Virgin Trains services on the West Coast, for Virgin Trains East Coast please click here.

Please note that the planned engineering work to be conducted by Network Rail between Saturday 23 and Monday 25 will go ahead as planned so customers travelling on these dates are still advised to check before they travel.

Looks like my holiday's back on.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Now we can play the game of how long it takes for each TOC to acknowledge the strike is off.

ScotRail have confirmed on Twitter that services will as normal on Monday and Tuesday. VTEC still saying the strike isn't officially confirmed as off - despite the RMT having posted a statement on their website.

Northern are announcing the cancellation of the strike over the PA at Bradford FS as I type.

Edit: And now on their website:

http://northernrail.org/news/7685

Double edit: Now TPE as well. Have I won?

http://www.tpexpress.co.uk/warnings/nr-strike-may-2015-1/

Last edited:

Chouette

It's also scrolling past on the PIS as I sit here on a Welsh station platform with my suitcase waiting for the train. Nice to see some up to date information on there for once! ;)

VauxhallandI

Established Member
What a waste of everyone's time.

I've had to re-arrange a trip, buy plane tickets and hotels.

****ers.

island

Veteran Member
I doubt most travel insurance covers a strike being called and called off.

GodAtum

On Moderation
What a waste of everyone's time.

I've had to re-arrange a trip, buy plane tickets and hotels.

****ers.

I friend runs a small business and has lost a few thousand due to having to close as he was unable to get to his business.

Envy123

What's going to happen to the GN local lines during the strike?

I have an early exam on the 26th, and in peak times, I specifically use New Southgate and not Arnos Grove to avoid King's Cross. I have a sneaking suspicion that getting to my final exam would not be as easy as it was today...

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Why do people not buy travel insurance these days?!

Good luck finding a policy that covers industrial action in such circumstances. With a £70 excess on the policy to which you linked to, I suspect that for most customers that is no good.

Sacro

What's going to happen to the GN local lines during the strike?

I have an early exam on the 26th, and in peak times, I specifically use New Southgate and not Arnos Grove to avoid King's Cross. I have a sneaking suspicion that getting to my final exam would not be as easy as it was today...

There is no strike on the 26th.

MadCommuter

Pleased it's off and within this 20 page thread I've learnt some more about the railway. Thanks to those that have shared insight knowledge.

plymothian

Wasted my time re-arranging trips and spending more money.

I didn't actually swear so I'm not sure why the **** !

All of them.

This really pees me off, attitudes like this.

Everyone was screaming at the TOCs that they weren't telling them what was happening, even though they didn't know what NR infrastructure would be available to operate what service they could.

So, even with the possibility of it being called off and not in a position to give reliable information about what services there could be, they issue a blanket "don't come", so everyone gets up in arms about rearranging things.

And now it's not happening, people are moaning they've been put out.

SPADTrap

Established Member

All of them.

Not sure you understand the point of a strike then? They have obviously reached a better deal (hopefully) so would you rather the strike go ahead anyway..?

Or not bother in the first place..?

Or..??

wensley

Established Member
This really pees me off, attitudes like this.

Everyone was screaming at the TOCs that they weren't telling them what was happening, even though they didn't know what NR infrastructure would be available to operate what service they could.

So, even with the possibility of it being called off and not in a position to give reliable information about what services there could be, they issue a blanket "don't come", so everyone gets up in arms about rearranging things.

And now it's not happening, people are moaning they've been put out.

Indeed! Offering passengers as much information, as early as possible, is definitely the way to go, allowing passengers to make informed journey choices. It was made clear that talks were ongoing and that the action may have been called off at any time.

I know our team has worked very hard (hardly seen our homes all week!) to develop a full timetable and operational plan affecting five working days, to allow information to be published for passengers. This will have been the same for all TOCs.

Developing complex plans like this isn't easy when relying on information from NR wich was, in itself a developing picture - and all TOCs did well to publish comprehensive emergency timetable arrangements (with a lot more work behind the scenes) in such a short space of time. Our colleagues at NR were also very supportive, and offered as many options as possible to keep passengers moving wherever this could be achieved.

People may have been inconvenienced, but a lot less so than if the action had gone ahead. I sympathise with the NR staff affected, and hope the revised offer proves satisfatory.

A-driver

Established Member

All of them.

Hmmm, I'm sure the rmt is very sorry it may have inconvenienced you whilst tryin to protect its members best interests. In future perhaps send them your travel plans in advance so that they can ensure they work any industrial disputes around you...or perhaps simpler still, they should go through with the strike regardless just to ensure they don't upset you.

garose

I stood to lose several hundred pounds worth of holiday if this strike had gone ahead, but rather than blaming everybody simply waited until the ACAS talks took place. As at all times there are two sides to every story, both parties no doubt felt they held the moral upper ground. Just thankful that some middle ground has been found. Democracy at work.

Status
Not open for further replies.