• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Email Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

The 158 Man

Ok, so I've using Outlook Express for years now with no problems but yesterday things have gone t*ts up! <(

I can still recieve emails, but I can't send them. It keeps asking me to log in to my 'secure user account'. It's never done this before, and I've never had to log in before. When I try to log in, it accepts the information I enter but then the same box pops back up three seconds later asking for the same details all over again! :-x

I haven't fiddled with any of the settings (I wouldn't know how!), and to my knowledge nothing's changed. So why is it being so anal?! <(

Anyone got any ideas?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Geezertronic

Established Member
Virginmedia by any chance ?

When they migrated my account to their new Google mail service, I started getting mail I had originally received in 2006 :|

Having been involved in the mass migration of 1 million mail boxes (give or take 100,000 :D), I can understand that there will be issues but this just took the biscuit for me.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I dont use OE but it sounds like your SMTP server is not functioning correctly. Has your ISP changed it?

Geezertronic

Established Member
If it is your password as Old Timer suggests, you'll probably need to ring up support and get it reset anyway. Might be worth ringing them up anyway or checking on their website to see if there are any issues reported.

Old Timer

Established Member
You could try resetting your password in Outlook.

I don't use OE but if it is anything like Outlook, the will be TOOLS / EMAIL ACCOUNTS then follow the Wizard uisng the CHANGE menus.

Delete your password, click on save, exit.

Close OE

Clear all Cookies, and temp internet files

Restart OE then follow same menu and insert your password. Tick the SAVE PASSWORD box, save and exit.

Close OE

Reopen OE, try SEND/RECEIVE. If no success contact the BT helpdesk as the problem is probably at their end. When you speak tell them what you have done.

The 158 Man

Thanks guys, I'll try re-setting the password when I get a minute. (That's a joke in itself!) :roll:

If that doesn't work I'll try phoning them, but I'll probably be dead and buried by the time I get through to someone who actually knows what they're doing!

Geezertronic

Established Member
Thanks guys, I'll try re-setting the password when I get a minute. (That's a joke in itself!) :roll:

If that doesn't work I'll try phoning them, but I'll probably be dead and buried by the time I get through to someone who actually knows what they're doing!

It depends on how good the scripts they are trained to read off are :D

Flyboy

I've had this issue before but can't remember exactly how it was resolved, but here are my settings for comparison.

In OE go into Tools -> Accounts and double-click on your email account which will bring up the properties box. If you have a btinternet.com email address then in the Servers tab make sure that both incoming and outgoing mail fields (POP3 & SMTP) are both set to "mail.btinternet.com". Just below is the Incoming Mail Server details which should contain your email address and password, ensure the Remember Password box is checked. Just below that is Outgoing Mail Server, ensure the box marked My server requires authentication is checked and then click on the Settings box. In the new window select Log on using and enter your master BT account email address and password in the boxes below, again ensure the Remember password box is checked.

Try those, if it's not a btinternet.com email address then I can post the settings I have on my non-BT accounts for comparison.

Last edited:

Wyvern

Established Member
Two points:

You can receive on any ISP, but you can only send with the ISP you have the account with. However you say your account is bt Broadband and that is what you are using.

It's not enough to simply get the password right, the authentication - particularly of your "reply to" address - must also be right. Partly this is ensure you are not a spammer.

Finally BT's email is actually Yahoo. Their help pages are pretty good as I remember them from when set up my e-mails in a fairly complicated system.

Use Google to find the BT Yahoo login page using your browser. (It is not the normal Yahoo page.) Log in as [email protected] and your password.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.