• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Class 360's

Spartacus

Established Member
Unrelated to the power issues the up and down fast at Bedford were blocked to electric traction due to the condition of the wires through them, them being essentially unused and no longer in commission, which might prove awkward if not remedied.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

59CosG95

Established Member
Unrelated to the power issues the up and down fast at Bedford were blocked to electric traction due to the condition of the wires through them, them being essentially unused and no longer in commission, which might prove awkward if not remedied.
I assume those were the legacy wires south of the Great Ouse and north of Bedford S Jn?

Supercoss

Tuesday night moves Clacton to Cricklewood cancelled as units not ready so 10 units on MML 6 at Cricklewood 4 at Kettering

Fast Lines between Bedford South Junction and Bedford North Junction not available to electrics until possession can be arranged
to look at historic Bed Pan Overhead Line between Bedford South Junction and end of feed ( historic) just north of River Bridge
so unable to serve platform 4 with electrics until this minor work completed

Established Member
Current state on class 360's. Almost half have moved over to the MML now.

Class 360:
360101 - Blue with Greater Anglia Fleet names (returned to Anglia)
360102 - Blue with Greater Anglia Fleet names (returned to Anglia)
360103 - Blue with White stripe (at Kettering on Driver Training runs)
360104 - Blue with White stripe (at Kettering on Driver Training runs)
360105 - Blue with Greater Anglia Fleet names (returned to Anglia)
360106 - Blue with White stripe (at Cricklewood)
360107 - Blue with White stripe (at Cricklewood)
360108 - Blue with Greater Anglia Fleet names (returned to Anglia)
360109 - Blue with Greater Anglia Fleet names (returned to Anglia)
360110 - Blue with Greater Anglia Fleet names (returned to Anglia)
360111 - Blue with Greater Anglia Fleet names (returned to Anglia)
360112 - Blue with Greater Anglia Fleet names (returned to Anglia)
360113 - Blue with White stripe (at Kettering on Driver Training runs)
360114 - Blue with Greater Anglia Fleet names (returned to Anglia)
360115 - Blue with Greater Anglia Fleet names (returned to Anglia)
360116 - Blue with White stripe (at Cricklewood)
360117 - Blue with White stripe (at Cricklewood)
360118 - Blue with White stripe (at Cricklewood)
360119 - Blue with Greater Anglia Fleet names (returned to Anglia)
360120 - Blue with White stripe (at Cricklewood)
360121 - Blue with White stripe (at Kettering on Driver Training runs)

Alfie1014

All are due by the end of the year according to several GA drivers
Well if they are not at Ilford by close of play tomorrow and still at Clacton, Colchester or Parkeston then it'll be after 4th Jan as the GEML is blocked through Colchester 25/12-03/01

Shunter_69

Well if they are not at Ilford by close of play tomorrow and still at Clacton, Colchester or Parkeston then it'll be after 4th Jan as the GEML is blocked through Colchester 25/12-03/01
They can still be at Colchester carriage sidings as there are London end arrivals and departures next week.

bengley

Established Member
The wires ended before Bedford station and the BTET would have been to do with the fact that any wires which extended beyond the pointwork of Bedford Sth Jn on the fasts would have merely been there in the event of a wrong route taken and subsequent overrun to prevent damage to the OLE over the junction.

They would never have been used routinely.

bengley

Established Member
Are sections of overruns ever used and/or tested by Network Rail on test trains or are they simply never used except in the case of a wrong-routing?
I'm not 100% sure. I would imagine they are visually checked on inspections but I can't imagine test trains with pantographs are sent down them.

Supercoss

Busy first week of new year with cascade moves planned as :
360 105 / 108 Monday 4th Clacton to Cricklewood
360 101/102 Wednesday 6th
360 109 Thursday 7th
ROG haulage

Domh245

Established Member
Busy first week of new year with cascade moves planned as :
360 105 / 108 Monday 4th Clacton to Cricklewood
360 101/102 Wednesday 6th
360 109 Thursday 7th
ROG haulage

That's interesting to see that it's ROG doing those moves. I thought that GBRf had hauled the first few units

Supercoss

That's interesting to see that it's ROG doing those moves. I thought that GBRf had hauled the first few units
Commercial world so different companies contracted to deliver
GBRf moved first six without issue using top tail Class 50s with barrier coaches
ROG Contracted to move eight ( only 4 delevered so far) with direct haul locomotives not requiring barrier/translator coaches with last move in 2020 cancelled as units not ready

OTRail

So by the end of next week that will leave 6 with GA - a sad moment on the GEML.

Also it’s worth mentioning 101 and 102 have FGE seat coverings on some areas, so when they enter service that will be something to look out for.

Domh245

Established Member
Commercial world so different companies contracted to deliver
GBRf moved first six without issue using top tail Class 50s with barrier coaches
ROG Contracted to move eight ( only 4 delevered so far) with direct haul locomotives not requiring barrier/translator coaches with last move in 2020 cancelled as units not ready

That's interesting, thanks. Presumably factors affecting who wins the move are both cost but availability as well? Presumably the contract for the remainder of the units is yet to be decided?

Supercoss

Yes, funny old world, 21 units to transfer from one operator to another but 3/4 mile section of non electrified track prevents direct delivery under own power.
GBRf driving some under own power to Ferme Park to make diesel hauled use over shortest section,trouble remains that Midland Mainline still an isolated Island that you can not get on to or off on the overhead line
independantly

So by the end of next week that will leave 6 with GA - a sad moment on the GEML.

Also it’s worth mentioning 101 and 102 have FGE seat coverings on some areas, so when they enter service that will be something to look out for.
As do 360119, 360117 and 360112 - you never know with Greater Anglia and cheap everything

MML

So with 360s transferred to EMR and not due to enter passenger service until the May timetable change, when are the first units moving for refurbishment?
Would make sense to have some refurbished prior to entering revenue service.

OTRail

Not to mention that (sadly) units built in privatisation aren’t as recognised as those from BR days - that being said the 360s did run on the GEML for 18 years, but it’s not as if they’re going for scrap. I can see one happening for the 321s though.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I can see one happening for the 321s though.
Two things on that though
- the non-Renatus units finish first and it would surely be those (with their noisier motors) that people would most want to mark a farewell for, rather than the Renatus units
- if the 321s finish before the restrictions are lifted, there could well not be a farewell

I imagine that the 317/6s are going to slip away without a farewell.

D365

Veteran Member
I imagine that the 317/6s are going to slip away without a farewell.
In fairness - their history is not half as colourful as that of the original batch.

It's interesting to note that EMUs, historically, have been cascaded eastwards from the Midlands. Is this (Class 360/1) the first time that East Anglia EMUs have been transferred to the Midlands?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
It's interesting to note that EMUs, historically, have been cascaded eastwards from the Midlands. Is this (Class 360/1) the first time that East Anglia EMUs have been transferred to the Midlands?
No, I rode a 308 in the West Midlands in 1995 (and 305 / 309 found further use after East Anglia) but it probably is the first time that units with more than half their remaining life ahead of them have been transferred from East Anglia to the Midlands.

bramling

Veteran Member
In fairness - their history is not half as colourful as that of the original batch.

Just because they’ve not moved around as much doesn’t devalue them (IMO). They are born and bred commuter units which have faithfully done their job from day one.

It would have been good to see a 317/2 make a last run on the GN, the route for which they were built. Not likely to happen unfortunately.

D365

Veteran Member
No, I rode a 308 in the West Midlands in 1995 (and 305 / 309 found further use after East Anglia) but it probably is the first time that units with more than half their remaining life ahead of them have been transferred from East Anglia to the Midlands.
Good point, thanks.

Just because they’ve not moved around as much doesn’t devalue them (IMO). They are born and bred commuter units which have faithfully done their job from day one.

It would have been good to see a 317/2 make a last run on the GN, the route for which they were built. Not likely to happen unfortunately.
Oh no I’m not trying to devalue them, and indeed I would agree with the latter. It’s just disappointing that the circumstances mean we can’t see a proper farewell for any of the outgoing fleets.