• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Regional Fleet in the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen Lee

On Moderation
Anyone have ideas if the EMR Regional Fleet will be fully operated by Turbostars in the future? Or the 156/158s will be retained?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Anyone have ideas if the EMR Regional Fleet will be fully operated by Turbostars in the future? Or the 156/158s will be retained?
Yes that is the stated intention. It has been fairly well known since they announced their rolling stock plans, it’ll all be covered in the discussion we had at the time, around the end of last August (if I can find it)...

Last edited:

tetudo boy

Ordering class 68/93s by Stadler and mark 5a's by CAF would be a sensible idea, but there will only be 10 class 93s to lease so I guess they could order a few more?
Class 170/185s could also be another good idea, and maybe the Hitachi AT300's could also fit with the service despite already being ordered with the high speed services on EMR...
We also need to note that the Liverpool to Nottingham services will be transferred to a new operator so i guess it also makes sense to change the rolling stock, and more sense with the AT300's!

ExRes

Established Member
Ordering class 68/93s by Stadler and mark 5a's by CAF would be a sensible idea, but there will only be 10 class 93s to lease so I guess they could order a few more?

I don't believe that there is any firm evidence that the 93s have been ordered yet, the info about their order and delivery date, Aug 2020, is very hazy indeed, I'm happy to be proved wrong though .......

tetudo boy

Why would that be a sensible idea? TPE only ordered them because CAF had a ready going production line from what I understand.
If EMR had the chance to order Mark 5a unit's then at least they would be built in time for a suitable production line, right? Also, the new franchise for the Liverpool to Nottingham services could be TPE, so I'm sure they could fit in a few Mark 5a unit's + Class 68s. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
If EMR had the chance to order Mark 5a unit's then at least they would be built in time for a suitable production line, right? Also, the new franchise for the Liverpool to Nottingham services could be TPE, so I'm sure they could fit in a few Mark 5a unit's + Class 68s. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I just meant that given the choice I'm sure TPE would've chosen more 80x trains or similar, as for EMR - it is simply my feeling that loco-haulage is not the best solution

Domh245

Established Member
I fail to see the advantage of Mk5s (or AT300s) over the 170s that will be making up the fleet, and several disadvantages as well. Theoretically if ordered at the time that the franchise was announced, Mk5s could be available soon, but there'd be a distinct lack of locomotives to haul them meaning that you'd have lovely shiny new coaches sat in sidings doing nothing until the locomotives were delivered, and that's on the assumption that CAF were able to deliver them on time (which so far they've not, ironically as that was the main reason for opting for CAF in the first place with TPE!). As it is, the first 170s for EMR leave Scotrail tomorrow and should be in service within a couple months (COVID19 permitting)

As for Nottingham-Liverpool going over to TPE, the main theory I can remember has the Mk5s operating this with double 185s (including the 22 that were due to go off lease) taking over the Scarborough route

I wondered if there are EMR 158s due for refurbishment.....

They've all just gone through PRM works which involved fitting a compliant toilet and PIS, but that's the extent of the refurbishment. They'll be re-liveried into the 'interim' livery in the near future but nothing else planned for them that I'm aware of.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Class 170/185s could also be another good idea, and maybe the Hitachi AT300's could also fit with the service despite already being ordered with the high speed services on EMR...
We also need to note that the Liverpool to Nottingham services will be transferred to a new operator so i guess it also makes sense to change the rolling stock, and more sense with the AT300's!
What’s the particular problem this proposal is solving, we already know that EMR is going to be all 170...

VT 390

Established Member
I wondered if there are EMR 158s due for refurbishment.....
I think it is very unlikely they will be refurbished whilst they are with EMR as they will be replaced by 170's in a few years, also they have quite a good interior and are not to worn out at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.