• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

End of semaphores

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Depends on how it was re-signalled, if you could get a few more sections in and all 3 aspect it would make a difference, especially in pertubation.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Maxfly

Still semaphonres at Fort William Junction, Lugton, Mauchline, New Cumnock, Forres, Elgin, Keith :) PLenty more but those are the ones I am 100% about.

I loved working semaphores, felt like 'proper signalling' if you know what I mean but as said previously you are more likely to get problems with semaphores as opposed to colour light. Wires stretching with the heat (always those without adjusters that seemed worse in my experience for some strange reason haha), rubbish con boxes, sticking parts, wires snagging in the runs. Yes some of the problems will be down to maintenance but that is part of the problem, colour lights require less maintenance. Still more satisfiying pulling a lever connected to a signal hundreds of yards away:)

50010 Monarch

I spent a few hours at Bromfield & Craven Arms (Marches Line) on Tuesday last week. I must say its good to see the semaphores still in action.

One thing I noticed was that the signaller seemed to need at least two attempts to clear the signals furthest away from the box at Bromfield (the ones on the Craven Arms side of the level crossing). Basically the signal arm would clear & then return to danger before clearing again. At Craven Arms the same trouble seemed to be happening with the signal at the Ludlow end of the southbound platform.

Does anyone know the cause of this problem? I've visited these locations several times before & never noticed it happening.

Oracle

Established Member
We have three double gantries and a single at Marchwood station site plus an elevated yellow and back disc repeater on the curve from Marchwoord in the Up direction just before the junction (MW10R for MW10).

Maxfly

I spent a few hours at Bromfield & Craven Arms (Marches Line) on Tuesday last week. I must say its good to see the semaphores still in action.

One thing I noticed was that the signaller seemed to need at least two attempts to clear the signals furthest away from the box at Bromfield (the ones on the Craven Arms side of the level crossing). Basically the signal arm would clear & then return to danger before clearing again. At Craven Arms the same trouble seemed to be happening with the signal at the Ludlow end of the southbound platform.

Does anyone know the cause of this problem? I've visited these locations several times before & never noticed it happening.

Could be struggling to get an off indication to show on the repeater in the box or it could be as the lever is released from the frame and the signaller gets ready to pull it properly it takes up enough slack to swing the signal to the off position before dropping back to on, the singaller then pulls the lever properly and off it comes. :)

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
In the main it's semaphore from Cupar (Fife) to Inverness via Aberdeen & Elgin - a fair few miles yet. Some pockets of colour light have crept in though inc Tay Bridge South SB, Dundee SC, Montrose North SB, & Aberdeen.

Tiny Tim

Semaphore signals will survive in some places for a very long time. There simply isn't the money to change everything all at once. Even then, our expanding Heritage Railways will retain the old ways of working.

As a side issue, modern signalling isn't necessarily any more efficient, other than in terms of manpower. New systems installed on secondary routes don't allow large increases in traffic unless NR specify it. The ability to transfer operations to a Regional Control Centre is the main reason for resignalling less well-used routes, the facility to do this is part of the design.

341o2

Established Member
as well as Marchwood already mentioned, there is one in one of the yards at Eastliegh

NSEFAN

Established Member
I've seen a semaphore poking around in the Eastleigh yard, but it looked to me as if it was part of a training area and not actually used for anything! It's the only signal I've noticed, anyways...

craigwilson

The Hazel Grove - Buxton stretch of that line is semaphore (or at least was about 2 years ago when I was last there).

Is any of the Marshlink still semaphore?

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Heritage lines will always use them, they willl never dissapear completely. I know some railways are expanding their semaphore layouts. NYMR for example with the old scarborough gantry.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Quite- if anything, the disappearance of sempahore from the National Network is a boon for heritage lines wishing to improve their "period" signalling, with gantries, frames etc becoming available!

DaveHarries

Established Member
Having read through this thread, here are a few I think havent been mentioned:

In the West Midlands I know that Rugeley Town (Brereton Sidings SB) and Droitwich are all mechanical: I believe Hednesford is also mechanical while Lichfield TVJ still has mechanical points but colour light signals.

In North Wales, aside from Helsby Junction, there are, I believe, also mechanical signals at Ellesmere Port (in part? Phil Deaves records EP as once having had 5 boxes of which not all are closed), Rhyl, Abergele, Llanwrst, Llanfair PG, Gaerwen, Ty Croes, Valley and Holyhead. I know that the NWCL - of which Llanwrst is not part - has other boxes (Talacre, Llanfairpwl and Mostyn Dock Jcn to name but three) but how many of them are mechanical I am not sure.

I hope to go doing photos on the NWCL when I get a chance.

Dave

a1a.a1a

Is any of the Marshlink still semaphore?

Hastings, Bexhill, Pevensey and W, Hampden Pk, Polegate & Berwick and Newhaven Tn & Harbour all have some proper (looking) signals, Lewes, Eastbourne & Bo Peep have boxes but all signals are lights on sticks.

Sorry, original Q.... Hastings which still has a nice looking mini ( ? ) gantry on the Ore end of the plat, right by the Box.

dzug2

Greenford hasn't been mentioned yet - there's the odd one there on the Chiltern diversionary route

In the West Midlands I know that Rugeley Town (Brereton Sidings SB) and Droitwich are all mechanical: I believe Hednesford is also mechanical while Lichfield TVJ still has mechanical points but colour light signals.

In North Wales, aside from Helsby Junction, there are, I believe, also mechanical signals at Ellesmere Port (in part? Phil Deaves records EP as once having had 5 boxes of which not all are closed), Rhyl, Abergele, Llanwrst, Llanfair PG, Gaerwen, Ty Croes, Valley and Holyhead. I know that the NWCL - of which Llanwrst is not part - has other boxes (Talacre, Llanfairpwl and Mostyn Dock Jcn to name but three) but how many of them are mechanical I am not sure.

Dave

Helsby Junction is in Cheshire and is no on the NWCL.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Prescot box still has semaphores, the only ones left on the Huyton-St Helens-Springs Branch line.
I suppose they will be replaced before the wires go up.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Prescot box still has semaphores, the only ones left on the Huyton-St Helens-Springs Branch line.

Not neccesarily, are there not some semaphores under wire in East Anglia?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Sorry, original Q.... Hastings which still has a nice looking mini ( ? ) gantry on the Ore end of the plat, right by the Box.

It's not the focus of this picture (it's just a platform shot I took), but is this the gantry you speak of? (Attached)

Attachments

• IMG_6854.jpg
    IMG_6854.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 42

Established Member
Not neccesarily, are there not some semaphores under wire in East Anglia?
Can't think of any in that area since Frinton went. These days, any electrification would almost certainly be accompanied by re-signalling as track layouts are usually altered at the same time.

Semaphores under the wires in the UK used to be quite common, but the only ones I can think of these days (other than ground signals) are in the Carriage Sidings at Wembley (Willesden) and even those are not full-sized ones.

Reference the signals at Hastings, see see here

Railsigns

Established Member
These days, any electrification would almost certainly be accompanied by re-signalling as track layouts are usually altered at the same time.

Semaphores under the wires in the UK used to be quite common, but the only ones I can think of these days (other than ground signals) are in the Carriage Sidings at Wembley (Willesden) and even those are not full-sized ones.

The current signalling proposal associated with the planned electrification of the Grangemouth line retains the semaphore signals controlled from Fouldubs Junction S.B.

driver9000

Established Member

Huyton signal box also has semaphore signals on that line. The Up section, Down distant and both Home signals before Huyton Junction are all semaphore. I have heard a rumour that Prescot box is to close this year.

Drimnagh Road

North Wales Coast is still a superb line to travel on for signal fans with absolute block over the majority and 15 signal boxes, the majority mechanical.

Holyhead - Valley - (Ty Croes - crossing box) - Gaerwen - (Llanfair PG - crossing box) - Bangor-Penmaenmawr (Panel ???) - Llandudno Junction (Panel ???) - Abergele - Rhyl - Prestatyn - Talacre - Mostyn (only switched in occassionaly) - Holywell Junction - Rockcliffe Hall (Panel ???)

I believe Holyhead still has a frame of over 100 levers, though obviously I would expect there to be many out of use.

Prestatyn controls a distant semaphore located on a gantry coming from the Holyhead direction, while Ty Croes also controls one coming from the Chester direction.

Don't forget the Marches route from Shrewsbury as far as Abergaveney.

driver9000

Established Member
Interesting considering it is a block post, where would control go to ? St Helens or Huyton ? First I've heard about it.

As I say it's a rumour that I've heard although if it turned out true I would imagine IBs could be a possibility. I'm sure I've seen it on a list RMT posted in one of the depots I go to, will check next time I'm out and about.

WL113

s
Dave

I'm surprised that the Walsall to Rugeley line isn't getting much attention from photographers considering the short time the three boxes have left. Bloxwich controls a mixture of semaphore and colour light signals on the up, whilst on the down it is all colour light, with no points to control now although it still has the level crossing to operate. At Hednesford the down home and distant signals are colour lights while the down section signal being a semaphore. On the up main the distant is now a motor worked semaphore, until recently it was the longest wire pull on the network. The up home and section signals are semaphore. Hednesford's crossover is clamp lock.

Brereton Sidings signalbox at Rugeley controls an interesting selection of infrastructure. All points (crossover and power station jcn points) are clamp lock. The down distant is a colour light, with the down home and section signals being semaphores. On the up, the distant lever controls Stoke SCC Colwich 3 aspect signal CH62 to green. The outer home is a motor worked semaphore, as is the power station outlet signal (miniature arm) the inner home and section signals are semaphores. The signal into the power station from the down main is interesting as it is a semaphore disc signal, mounted on the section signal post.

Status
Not open for further replies.