• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Enforcement of the new rules on social distancing, unnecessary journeys etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bramling

Veteran Member
My word - no one needs to be exercising on a bicycle? How joyless!!

What harm does it do anybody?

At the moment it’s a menace. Round here at least there’s bikes all over the place, both on roads and on pavements - and in many cases they’re in groups. Several good reasons why this is undesirable at the moment - it’s getting in the way of key workers, and it represents increased risk which means placing a burden on emergency services. Another thing which has been going on is people deciding to take the train somewhere and then go for a ride - this certainly shouldn’t be happening.

I wouldn’t have a problem if someone decides they want to go for a ride as their exercise, but like with everything else people are taking the mickey.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

High Dyke

Established Member
Two sides to the attitude of the local constabulary. Wife got stopped on the way home from work last week; her commute is a 25 mile journey. As a 'key worker' she had the letter, provided by her employer, with her. The officer that stopped her was satisfied all was in order. A fellow signalman got stopped on the way to work. The officer that stopped him, a different officer, actually contacted the location he was travelling to in order to confirm his journey (story) was a genuine reason to be on the road.

bramling

Veteran Member
Okay, no need to be aggressive. It's no skin off my nose either way, being retired so every day is a holiday, but I thought it would be a gesture to make up to all the working families who haven't been able to go with their usual plans due to obeying the lockdown instructions. I don't agree with the clapping either. I will leave it there.

I wasn’t intending to come over as aggressive, however by the same token people need to realise the strength of feeling at the moment. Most of this is being fuelled by the current flagrant disregard of the lockdown by a subset of people.

One might be inclined to be more inclined towards the idea of a holiday if people were doing the right thing now. In many cases at this moment they’re not.

We’re all going to essentially lose a short period of our lives. I’m as frustrated as anyone about this as normally the bulk of my holidays fall in the spring and what with the current fine weather this is slightly galling. However people need to suck it up, it’s just one of those facts of life. Much of the world is in the same boat, and we should count our blessings it’s probably not going to last as long as something like WW2.

sheff1

Established Member
Clearly taking a lead from Donald Trump - denying he said something when the footage shows him clearly saying "we will start to do that".

When he says 'we will do that' with reference to checking through shoppers trolleys, does he not realise that his force has no power to do so? .
It would appear not. He tells the public "obey the law" and then goes on to confirm his force will break the law.

I think this exceeds anything even Derbyshire Police have come up with so far .... but no doubt they will be looking at ways to regain top spot in the incompetence table.

Domh245

Established Member
He said they will if people continue to buy "non-essential items". It was a threat- which makes it even worse.

The talk of "non-essential items" worries me, especially as there isn't any legal definition of essential item. There was the easter egg debacle earlier in the lockdown, so it wouldn't be a surprise if certain police forces took it upon themselves to come up with a list of allowable groceries, with anything else being confiscated.

Anyone else fancy a government endorsed gruel-bar?

bramling

Veteran Member
The talk of "non-essential items" worries me, especially as there isn't any legal definition of essential item. There was the easter egg debacle earlier in the lockdown, so it wouldn't be a surprise if certain police forces took it upon themselves to come up with a list of allowable groceries, with anything else being confiscated.

I tend to agree that this is all a step too far - indeed what’s not essential to one may well be to someone else. People do however need to be sensible and realistic.

Having said that, in some cases it may not be a bad thing to push back on discretionary spending at the moment. People would have done better to stockpile their income to try and build up a buffer rather than stockpiling toilet rolls and pasta.

Bantamzen

Established Member
I must admit I do find it strange that they're trying to burn through goodwill early in the lockdown when later on they're going to need a lot more goodwill from the public to help maintain it if this does go on for a long time.

Unfortunately this kind of behaviour by pubic officials given "special" or "emergency" powers are going to sometimes be likely to push the boundaries, especially if they think it will increase their effectiveness. This is why these powers must be under continuous review, and just as people not obeying the rules should be dealt with, so should officials taking it too far.

This could happen, and imagine there would be a serious backlash if it did. I would hope that this particular chief has had a phone call & a very stern warning to wind his neck in.

MDB1images

Many motorists aren't competent at judging the distance between their vehicle and a cyclist, so I'll bet they're not good at judging the distances between cyclists!

I wonder whether the guy could go to work by cycling rather than driving an injury-maker among so many cyclists and do his bit to ease the strain on the NHS.

To answer your query he's actually a cycling fanatic who normally cycles to work 12 miles each day but as he was finishing at 23:50 I'd imagine he felt it was more safe to drive in.

Last edited:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I wasn’t intending to come over as aggressive, however by the same token people need to realise the strength of feeling at the moment. Most of this is being fuelled by the current flagrant disregard of the lockdown by a subset of people.

One might be inclined to be more inclined towards the idea of a holiday if people were doing the right thing now. In many cases at this moment they’re not.

We’re all going to essentially lose a short period of our lives. I’m as frustrated as anyone about this as normally the bulk of my holidays fall in the spring and what with the current fine weather this is slightly galling. However people need to suck it up, it’s just one of those facts of life. Much of the world is in the same boat, and we should count our blessings it’s probably not going to last as long as something like WW2.

I'd just be annoyed if the opportunity for a proper break (not necessarily holiday) was effectively rendered not possible because of a combination of other people not complying and the early lack of government action having the effect of prolonging the return to normality.

If it doesn't happen in time, so be it and I will just have to suck it up. But it's just a bit frustrating when I think I'm definitely doing my fair share to attempt to restore normality (but being fortunate to still have health and employment at the time of writing - neither of which is to be take forgranted)

bramling

Veteran Member
I'd just be annoyed if the opportunity for a proper break (not necessarily holiday) was effectively rendered not possible because of a combination of other people not complying and the early lack of government action having the effect of prolonging the return to normality.

If it doesn't happen in time, so be it and I will just have to suck it up. But it's just a bit frustrating when I think I'm definitely doing my fair share to attempt to restore normality (but being fortunate to still have health and employment at the time of writing - neither of which is to be take forgranted)

Agreed. Indeed I think I’m right in saying members of the government have put on record that the more compliance there is with the current conditions now then the less time they are likely to have to last.

The best thing for everyone is return simply to normality, or as close as we can get to it. Last thing we need is things like some kind of special retrospective holiday weekend which no doubt would turn into a mad frenzy.

greyman42

Established Member
I think the problem with policing items and whether they are essential or not is that it would differ person to person. I've seen people say things like chocolate aren't essential but I know for me it is because it's one of the few things I can actually eat without having any sickness issues
Nestle's confectionery business in York is still working 24/7 so it appears that this business is looked on as essential.

AM9

Veteran Member
The talk of "non-essential items" worries me, especially as there isn't any legal definition of essential item. There was the easter egg debacle earlier in the lockdown, so it wouldn't be a surprise if certain police forces took it upon themselves to come up with a list of allowable groceries, with anything else being confiscated. ...
Most people now what is definitely essential and would be able to justify those items if asked to. They also know what is very likely non-essential and would have great difficulty in justifying those as well. It depends just how much gaming the law individuals are prepared to risk. If the police feel that you have overstepped the line that they have been advised to work from, they will have to defend their actions, a) to their superiors and b) ultimately, to a court if it reached that. The senior officers would also have to answer for multiple cases of over zealous application of the rules or the law, as would vexatious behaviour by members of the public. Ultimately, it would be necessary for case(s) in court to determine an absolute definition by precedent, (aided by whatever the man in the Clapham omnibus would think).
So those that try to construct devious reasons why they should be able to ignore the rules may find their movement more inconvenienced than those who enter the spirit of the quarantine in the interests of others' safety.

scotrail158713

Established Member
Nestle's confectionery business in York is still working 24/7 so it appears that this business is looked on as essential.
Nobody can tell me confectionery isn’t essential! If anything it’s more essential now than ever before as I’m stuck at home all day every day. :D

greyman42

Established Member
Even after the measures are over, how long, if ever, will it be that people would be willing to share a compartment with a stranger on a heritage railway, visit a nightclub, or eat cake brought in by a co-worker(even though there was always a risk of catching cold or flu from things like this). After all, even a vaccine has been developed, you have no way of knowing who has had it.
I think people will go back to "normal" immediately. I know plenty of people who would do so tomorrow if we were given the nod.

Jayden99

Just to start a slightly new topic, I've just moved from the great suburban wastelands of Glasgow to Bucks and there seems to be way more unnecessary excursions happening in this neck of the woods, massive groups of teens on the high street, people out sunbathing in the park down the road, the weather doesn't help with staying indoors but the rule breakers are super obvious

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Just to start a slightly new topic, I've just moved from the great suburban wastelands of Glasgow to Bucks and there seems to be way more unnecessary excursions happening in this neck of the woods, massive groups of teens on the high street, people out sunbathing in the park down the road, the weather doesn't help with staying indoors but the rule breakers are super obvious

Plenty of people out today in Glasgow, I haven't seen it as busy for a while and it was the same yesterday.

Since the lockdown came into force, after about 3 or 4 days the number of people out and about has steadily increased

scotrail158713

Established Member
Another reason why Scots are much better than the English :)
EDIT - this comment is slightly tongue-in-cheek, I know us Scots aren't perfect

Last edited:

Darandio

Established Member

Such a shame for you then that the post directly above yours reinforced the idea that you lot are probably just as bad! :lol:

Like Conronavirus, stupidity doesn't respect borders.

hexagon789

Veteran Member

I don't see why, I've seen the exact same behaviour up here in Glasgow. I don't know where this nonsense that the rule breaking is more prevalent in England stems from but it's simply not so

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Such a shame for you then that the post directly above yours reinforced the idea that you lot are probably just as bad! :lol:

Like Conronavirus, stupidity doesn't respect borders.

It doesn't, stupidity knows no bounds nor boundaries ;)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Add in a new menace of leisure cyclists all over the place. Banning that would be a start - no one needs to be exercising using a bicycle.

Oh dear, but here we go. Why not? Road cycling on your own is far more socially isolated than running or walking, you'll go out into quiet country lanes potentially miles from anyone. And I say that having not cycled for a few weeks!

I'd actually prefer the Isle of Man approach - reduce road risk by reducing all top speed limits other than motorways down to 40mph.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Oh dear, but here we go. Why not? Road cycling on your own is far more socially isolated than running or walking, you'll go out into quiet country lanes potentially miles from anyone. And I say that having not cycled for a few weeks!

Perhaps cyclists are more law abiding in England, but in Glasgow and majority seem to think it's their god-given right to either use the pavement to circumvent traffic lights or road junctions or to cycle on the pavement regardless.

With the need to keep a greater distance from other people on pavements, these cyclists make it far more awkward and difficult to do so, particularly as many are cycling in groups.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Where abouts in Bucks are you? MK is very, very quiet, though admittedly (despite a nice running route from my house being round Furzton Lake) I'm avoiding the honeypots as I feel it's my responsibility to do so, and the car will not be used for anything other than NHS volunteering until it's all lifted (I'm finding shopping locally in one of the Co-ops to be vastly more pleasant than what I'm hearing about the big places, things are generally well stocked and people are being nice and accommodating and sticking to social distancing).

johnnychips

Established Member
Police roadblocks at the entrance to Sheffield Parkway this afternoon. However, I can’t see why people just couldn’t say ‘I’m going shopping’.

In Sheffield the lockdown does seem well in the centre and parks, with people spreading out, apart from the odd groups of chavs and drug dealers. I can’t say what it’s like in the suburbs though.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Indeed, though of course pavement cycling is also already illegal...the issue is I suppose an overstretched police force...

Quite, I have seen far more police cars driving about than I can ever recall but presumably that's either doing "patrols" or driving to specific emergencies

Status
Not open for further replies.