• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

England set to drop facemasks and social distancing on July 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

LonTravelWatch

Verified Rep
Hi all,

We put out this tweet earlier following reports that face coverings and social distancing rules are set to be scrapped in England on 19 July:

'Our weekly research with @TransportFocus is showing that nearly two-thirds of Londoners won’t use public transport unless people are wearing face coverings and over half say that they won’t use public transport unless social distancing is in place.'

It would be interesting to hear whether people on this forum would be put off from using public transport if these rules are dropped and what level of consensus there is about whether this is the right or wrong approach.

You can read more about the story in the Evening Standard article we appear in today here: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/sadiq-khan-keep-masks-tube-underground-july-19-b942155.html

UPDATE:

Thanks for all your comments so far. I noticed that most people seem to have an aversion to being forced to wear face masks after 19 July. Would the same apply in terms of social distancing? Would you be comfortable sitting next to someone on a train for example, or even getting on a crowded train where you were required to stand?

Best wishes,

Luke

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kristiang85

Established Member
From my observations about half the people on it now are not wearing the masks, or at least not properly.

Personally, I'm less likely to use public transport if they are still mandated. It's not like anything has proven they work, but people are welcome to still wear them if they wish of course. Just I don't agree with mandation.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I don't really care. I will continue to wear one on trains however. While I don't think they make a huge difference, if they reduce my chances of catching it by 5% I will wear them as that makes me slightly less likely to have to self isolate!

When vaccines have got wider and isolation rules relax I'll probably think differently.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
This is absolute nonsense; the polls can say any old rubbish but the proof will be in peoples actions.

The mandating of face coverings has not been demonstrated to have any actual effect on case numbers (the evidence provided is always theoretical in nature, based on 'correct' mask use such as safe storage in disposable plastic bags, sanitising hands and other such nonsense) and is just a placebo for people who have been scared by Government messaging.

Places like Florida and Texas lifted their mask mandates several weeks ago; the likes of Biden and other authoritarians made all sorts of nonsense false claims that cases would go up. They didn't.

Polls like this tend to be completed by people with loads of time on their hands who obsess with trying to force others to do something rather than any desire to do it themselves.

The reality is that once it becomes guidance, hardly anyone will actually wear one as the vast majority of people (who don't have time to do polls) do not want to wear one. We already saw this on the Isle of Man for example and it will be the same elsewhere.

I am put off public transport by the mandate and I would be more likely to use public transport once the mandate is dropped.

Mintona

Established Member
I won’t travel whilst I have to wear a face covering. Once it is no longer mandatory I’m quite happy to catch the train and get as close as needs be to anyone, a packed tube only bothers me if I have to wear a mask.

westv

Established Member
I would be happy for face coverings to be ditched although I fear there would then be a campaign by transport operators to coerce people to wear them "You don't have to but if you don't you will be killing granny"

roversfan2001

Established Member
Just like barely anyone wore them before they became mandatory, barely anyone will wear them once they cease to be mandatory. Polls for stuff like this won't be very accurate as it's easy for people to say "yeah I'll wear a mask forever, I want to keep everyone safe (!)". I guarantee if they'd left their mask at home and were at the station they wouldn't go back and get it...

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I would be happy for face coverings to be ditched although I fear there would then be a campaign by transport operators to coerce people to wear them "You don't have to but if you don't you will be killing granny"
If they do, I'll call them out for blatant vaccine efficacy denial.

DanNCL

Established Member
As someone exempt from wearing a mask, this will actually make me feel more comfortable using public transport. I'm sick to death of both passengers and staff ignoring the exemption card I wear on a sunflower lanyard (itself something I shouldn't have to wear as it's not the law, but it reduces the hassle) and challenging me over it, trying to make me feel like a criminal for having a condition that prevents me from wearing a mask. The sooner this nonsense is over with the better.

davews

I have travelled on trains, tubes and buses loads of times since the rules, using my exemption and wearing a lanyard, and not received a single comment. Loads of others doing similar. And some of those trains have been packed. Not sure who transport focus asked, probably not train users.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
It probably wouldn't make much difference either way. Masks don't make me feel any more comfortable with using public transport - if anything they make me less comfortable because I feel nervous around people wearing them. I don't find wearing one myself a particularly great hardship but a lot of people do and I would suggest the current requirement is almost certainly putting them off.

I also feel this is the right approach, because if we don't abolish the requirement soon then I'm not sure we ever will. You could make the case that we should wait until everyone who wants it has had both doses of the vaccine, but the large majority of bus users (certainly outside London) have already had that, or are children so won't ever have that. The risk of transmission really is about as low as we're going to get, and so I'd ask anyone who supported the mandate remaining - if not now, then when?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
As someone exempt from wearing a mask, this will actually make me feel more comfortable using public transport. I'm sick to death of both passengers and staff ignoring the exemption card I wear on a sunflower lanyard (itself something I shouldn't have to wear as it's not the law, but it reduces the hassle) and challenging me over it, trying to make me feel like a criminal for having a condition that prevents me from wearing a mask. The sooner this nonsense is over with the better.
Indeed many people are currently excluded from using public transport, not necessarily barred by the operators (though that can and does happen) but either by the actions of society or the anxiousness of the person to place themselves in a position where they may be challenged.

Some operators do actually bar people who have exemptions; this is illegal but unless anyone is prepared to challenge them in court, they will get away with it (for example I am aware of a provider who aggressively threatens people who challenge them on this; if anyone is in the Devon area and wishes to challenge this, please send me a conversation message and I will provide more information on this matter).

Domh245

Established Member
It'll be a lot easier to drink my coffee when I don't have to half-heartedly hang a mask from one ear!

I see them as a nuisance (as minimal impact as they are on me) and can't wait to get rid of them!

Cdd89

Established Member
I would not be less inclined to use public transport if they ceased to be mandated.

Under the current rules, it is against the law to sit in a near-empty carriage without a mask. Even those still in favour of masks must agree that this is nonsensical situation that is rapidly being more harmful than the asserted benefit.

The way to resolve this problem is to make it a matter of personal responsibility, as the government is suggesting; allowing those who are nervous to wear masks, and on crowded services sit near others who are also choosing to wear masks.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hi all,

We put out this tweet earlier following reports that face coverings and social distancing rules are set to be scrapped in England on 19 July:

It would be interesting to hear whether people on this forum would be put off from using public transport if these rules are dropped and what level of consensus there is about whether this is the right or wrong approach.

You can read more about the story in the Evening Standard article we appear in today here: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/sadiq-khan-keep-masks-tube-underground-july-19-b942155.html

Best wishes,

Luke

I'm always sceptical of these polls because they don't tend to reflect what is actually happening "out there". I was on the tube the other day and a significant number were not wearing masks (and they were not wearing exemption lanyards either). I suspect the questions are framed in such a way as to get the answer the poll sponsors want, not what the actual situation is.

And what about those who are put off from travelling on public transport due to the requirement to wear masks? Are they not entitled to an opinion?

But Mr Khan believes it is important to continue to “follow the science” which indicates masks inhibit the transmission of Covid.

Can he provide a peer reviewed paper that proves this?

Last edited:

westv

Established Member
I would not be less inclined to use public transport if they ceased to be mandated.

Under the current rules, it is against the law to sit in a near-empty carriage without a mask. Even those still in favour of masks must agree that this is nonsensical situation that is rapidly being more harmful than the asserted benefit. The way to resolve this problem is to make it a matter of personal responsibility, as the government is suggesting.
But not quite so nonsensical as the TOCs rule on face coverings on open platforms.

Class 33

Established Member

England set to drop facemasks and social distancing on July 19.​

Well yes, hopefully this really will turn out to be the case on 19th July. But I'll believe it when I see it!

England set to drop face masks and social distancing just can't come soon enough for me! It's long long overdue! Am sick to the back teeth of these nonsense restrictions we've had to so far endure for the past 15 months!

For me, using public transport(especially for long journeys) will be MUCH more appealing once this face mask and social distancing nonsense is scrapped! Wearing face masks on public transport is uncomfortable, especially during the warmer weather. Also it's not just that, it's the tedious PA annoucements(either pre-recorded or "live" or both!) that keep going off frequently telling us we MUST wear face masks at all times and we MUST socially distance. And I read on here that some of the conductors on trains can be very harsh and even bullying like with their PA announcements about wearing face masks, i.e. telling us if we're not wearing one we may be fined, arrested and thrown off the train by British Transport Police! This is very very off-putting.

I'm hoping to do a return trip from London King's Cross-Edinburgh soon. It's been 6 years since I've been up there. It's a great limited stop train journey. But from reading some of the comments on here about some of the conductors PA announcements on LNER services about face masks and social distancing, makes it not very appealing! So I'm not intending to do such a trip until this social distancing and face mask nonsense is finally scrapped. Hopefully this will be the case no later than 19th July in England and no later than 9th August in Scotland!

Hope this helps with your research!

nlogax

Established Member
Polls are so often total baloney, especially when they try to predict patterns of social behaviour. Let's see what actually happens when the restrictions are dropped - whenever that actually is.

kingston_toon

Few wore masks before they were mandated. I confidently predict the majority won't wear them in most settings once they cease to be mandated.

From my personal perspective, I wear them in those places where they are mandated and only those places, and I do so to keep the peace and avoid hassle. I find wearing masks unpleasant and uncomfortable and I am minimising my public transport use because they are mandated. I'll use public transport more frequently once the mask mandate is removed.

We absolutely should move to making choices such as these a matter of personal responsibility. Will I wear a mask on a bus in summer with the windows open, on the Tube where only every second seat is taken or on a comfortable long distance train (the majority of my journeys)? Absolutely not. Will I wear a mask on a crowded Tube in the middle of winter? Quite possibly.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
As with others on here, I've been wearing facemasks on public transport during the pandemic, but will be abandoning them as soon as we are allowed. I'm tired of wearing them for long journeys, as well as the petty regulation and enforcement around them (which seems to have gotten worse in recent weeks in non-rail settings).

I'm very comfortable with using public transport generally.

furgus2

I have been totally put off from using public transport since mask wear was made compulsory. I have seen no evidence that they have any effect in preventing the spread of covid. Personally, I detest wearing a mask and it is also very off putting seeing other people wearing them.

As soon as the mask wearing compulsion ends, I will happily go back to using public transport

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I'm personally not put off whether I or others have to wear a mask or not.

But, as much as I know that this forum generally sways towards anti-mask, *alot* of the public remain (rightly or wrongly) reassured by them.

Jonny

Established Member
It seems to be about "confidence" and "feel safe" (per the original article); the science is secondary.

I for one am getting pretty hacked off about being expected to pander to other people's fears, which this "COVID secure" theatre seems to be.

I'm always sceptical of these polls because they don't tend to reflect what is actually happening "out there". I was on the tube the other day and a significant number were not wearing masks (and they were not wearing exemption lanyards either). I suspect the questions are framed in such a way as to get the answer the poll sponsors want, not what the actual situation is.

And what about those who are put off from travelling on public transport due to the requirement to wear masks? Are they not entitled to an opinion?

Can he provide a peer reviewed paper that proves this?

I think they only want people who will speak in accordance with the narrative.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Face masks make me less likely to use public transport not more likely.

Class 33

Established Member
I'll also mention something about a conductor on a GWR Bristol-Weymouth service I was on a few weeks ago. It is actually permitted to not be wearing a face mask on public transport whilst eating and drinking. So upon departure from Bristol I cracked open a can of fizzy drink and some light snacks to enjoy. Didn't have my face mask on at the time. But the conductor/ticket collector came round and said to me "Have you got a mask sir?". I replied with "Yes, but I'm just having a drink and a bite to eat at the moment.". He replied with "You're not actually drinking or eating this second sir. So you need to be wearing a mask.". Talking to me like I was a child. So it's to be expected whilst eating and drinking to keep constantly covering and uncovering your face mask umpteen times?! Really this is just absolutely ridiculous. Sooner this face mask nonsense is finally dropped, the better!!!

Jonny

Established Member
I'll also mention something about a conductor on a GWR Bristol-Weymouth service I was on a few weeks ago. It is actually permitted to not be wearing a face mask on public transport whilst eating and drinking. So upon departure from Bristol I cracked open a can of fizzy drink and some light snacks to enjoy. Didn't have my face mask on at the time. But the conductor/ticket collector came round and said to me "Have you got a mask sir?". I replied with "Yes, but I'm just having a drink and a bite to eat at the moment.". He replied with "You're not actually drinking or eating this second sir. So you need to be wearing a mask.". Talking to me like I was a child. So it's to be expected whilst eating and drinking to keep constantly covering and uncovering your face mask umpteen times?! Really this is just absolutely ridiculous. Sooner this face mask nonsense is finally dropped, the better!!!
You cannot really replace it until you cannot be absolutely sure that nothing is coming back the way it came...

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm personally not put off whether I or others have to wear a mask or not.

But, as much as I know that this forum generally sways towards anti-mask, *alot* of the public remain (rightly or wrongly) reassured by them.
That's the claim of authoritarians but I'm not convinced.

I think the wanting of others to wear masks is more a case of 'because I'm being forced to endure this, I want to see others doing so too'.

Also the sort of people who vote for authoritarian measures in polls like this don't tend to be your normal everyday working people who actually use public transport; it's more the sort who are sat at home with loads of time on their hands who want to see others restricted.

Do you think a lot of the public in places like the Isle of Man were 'reassured' by them? If so, why did so many people abandon masks there as soon as they could?

The proof will be in the pudding, and mark my words the majority will be ditching them once the mandate is over.
Authoritarians absolutely love mask mandates; I've seen all sorts of conflicts since the mandate came into place. Most on board staff absolutely do not want conflict, but a small but very noticeable minority love it, and your example is not an isolated case.

Crossover

Established Member
Can't wait to see the back of the things! My experience from travel in the last week is that when any authority is out of sight, the masks are either off, or are chin warmers, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.