• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Entire 800/801/802 fleet stood down for safety checks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
BREL made some amazing trains with British engineering, not least the InterCity 125.
The IETs seem very overpriced for what they are. Paid for by the taxpayer.

But every other day of the year Hitachi are laughing to the bank...
Most airliners, ships and a great deal of railway rolling stock is leased in one way or another, worldwide.
Less and less is purchased outright, and even less than that is built and maintained in-house.
There isn't the volume of production here to keep up with technological progress.
It's not 1976 any more, which was the last time "BREL" produced a 125mph long-distance train.

Last edited:

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Any feeling if this is having a wider impact on GWRs other services? I'm guessing if they are running shuttles with the Turbos then they must be being taken from elsewhere? So presumably risks of short formations on other services and I guess those other services also being busier (e.g. Cardiff to Newport / Bristol Temple Meads).

alexl92

Established Member
Sorry if this has been confirmed but I haven't managed to keep up with 30+ pages. I've read back a few and couldn't see an answer...

Is there any truth in the suggestions that LSL, WCRC and others were providing alternative traction and stock to make up the shortfall? I'm assuming it's wibble...

Darandio

Established Member
Sorry if this has been confirmed but I haven't managed to keep up with 30+ pages. I've read back a few and couldn't see an answer...

Is there any truth in the suggestions that LSL, WCRC and others were providing alternative traction and stock to make up the shortfall? I'm assuming it's wibble...

Wibble. Considering said wibble 'confirmed' they would be operating an 8 coach service out of Paddington this morning and something similar from Kings Cross.

Established Member
They have to do whatever they "reasonably can" to get people to their destination if they'd otherwise be stranded. With the sorts of steps that TOCs typically take in these circumstances (advising people not to travel, and arranging ticket acceptance and replacement buses) there are usually only a handful of passengers who end up in that situation.

If there are taxis available to get these people to their destination, or at least to a train that will get them there, then the TOC is liable to arrange these, or else to pay for the passenger's bill if they don't do so.

It does sound like considerable efforts were gone to yesterday to honour existing arrangements where possible via ticket acceptance on other operators (probably easier for LNER than for GWR). Other TOCs also laid on longer trains to cope with additional numbers which are (thankfully in this instance) currently suppressed due to Covid.

1. full refund from place of purchase. The regulators need to step in here and enforce the rules because they’re being rejected left right and centre as they are every single time.

I agree that “we told you not to travel, ran the train anyway and therefore we are not refunding you” is a disgusting approach. In that situation I’d advocate a formal complaint.

2. use your ticket at a different time on a different day. Put some limitations on it if necessary, tickets for 1830 only valid on services between 1630 and 2030 2 days before or after your train and you MUST book a seat for the new service in advance. Or you must follow peak/ off peak guidelines. Or whatever they feel is necessary.

Some variant of that should certainly be done e.g. advance ticket = an off peak ticket for the following day for those who HAVE to travel ASAP. Or else an advance ticket for future services on which advance tickets are available.

Out of interest what is actually being offered (appreciate it will vary by TOC)?

3. speak to staff and get yourself on one of the very very limited services available.

I suspect a lot of yesterday morning’s approach was tied up with minimising the number of people turning up at a station and being unable to travel.

Last edited:

Killingworth

Established Member

At this stage it would be prudent to consider if they could help in any way but there's a difference between being put on standby to actually being contracted to run specific services. In time that may happen but in a developing situation it's hard to imagine TOCs yet being able to identify where any help is needed and where it could be applied.

Failed Unit

Established Member
As someone not really versed on LNER, why were the MK4s originally coming back?
They don’t have enough stock for the December 2021 (as was) timetable change. they kept some for this but the plan was to diagram them on a few services to keep traction knowledge current. it gave them the bonus of not working the 800s as intensively while the shake them down / do modifications (although this was one the didn’t plan). They were returning in June once KX was completed in early June. I suspect they will work them harder now and hope the 800 issue is history by the time the new timetable.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
In time that may happen but in a developing situation it's hard to imagine TOCs yet being able to identify where any help is needed and where it could be applied.
In particular, very careful thought would need to be taken about introducing 'unusual' rolling stock if it generated additional passengers at a time when capacity is severely limited.

Alex27

Apologies if this has already been mentioned (I can't keep up) but GWR customers who have purchased a ticket for travel on any date between the 8th and 16th May (advance tickets included) may use their ticket to travel on an alternative day between the 10th and 16th May, customers with advance purchased tickets are advised to travel as closely to the time of their original ticket as possible. Fee free refunds are also available.

Thunderer

Has there been any “official” statements/plans issued from the DFT or GWR/LNER as to how they intend to tackle this problem going forward? e.g. Supplementing 800/801/802 units with other rolling stock to fill in diagrams, while the necessary repairs take place?

tommy2215

Interestingly RTT shows XC running a shuttle service between Swindon and Bristol Temple Meads tomorrow

AdamWW

Established Member
Out of interest what is actually being offered (appreciate it will vary by TOC)?

From what I can see on the GWR web site, all they are offering is a refund of the ticket price if you don't travel.

Then they just refer you to the usual conditions, which would suggest that if you needed to get somewhere with an advance ticket and your train was cancelled, you need to buy a new one to travel.

Has there been any “official” statements/plans issued from the DFT or GWR/LNER as to how they intend to tackle this problem going forward? e.g. Supplementing 800/801/802 units with other rolling stock to fill in diagrams, while the necessary repairs take place?

I think it would not be unreasonable to give them a bit more time for that.

Versa274

On Moderation
Northern 331s are possibly being used tomorrow until 225 sets return on tuesday so ive heard for Leeds/london

popeter45

Interestingly RTT shows XC running a shuttle service between Swindon and Bristol Temple Meads tomorrow
if that was running to didcot or reading would have worked really well to intergrate with 387's , e.g. for my trip to swansea could do 387 to didcot, XC to bristol, GWR Castle to Cardiff then TfW to Swansea

ScouserGirl

No think we are all waiting for this.

Thunderer

From what I can see on the GWR web site, all they are offering is a refund of the ticket price if you don't travel.

Then they just refer you to the usual conditions, which would suggest that if you needed to get somewhere with an advance ticket and your train was cancelled, you need to buy a new one to travel.

I think it would not be unreasonable to give them a bit more time for that.
I do agree, but tell that to the poor passengers needing to travel on these major Inter-City routes. They have had over 24 hours now to assess the seriousness of this situation. Someone in the DFT needs to get a grip and make a sensible, logical and workable decision and get it implemented as soon as possible.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
They have had over 24 hours now to assess the seriousness of this situation.
Yes it is serious - but the first signs of a solution are appearing - eg Turbos on the North Cotswold line, CrossCountry running Swindon to Bristol, 225s being reactivated, Guards for 387s to run to Swindon - for those who have to travel.

Someone in the DFT needs to get a grip and make a sensible, logical and workable decision and get it implemented as soon as possible.
It is happening - sensible, logical solutions, not fantasy ones - give them a chance.

adc82140

Established Member
Yes it is serious - but the first signs of a solution are appearing - eg Turbos on the North Cotswold line, CrossCountry running Swindon to Bristol, 225s being reactivated, Guards for 387s to run to Swindon - for those who have to travel.

It is happening - sensible, logical solutions - give them a chance.
Is it XC running the service (ie with 220/221s) or are GWR running XC HSTs?

HST274

A post earlier about the eerieness of Paddington is completely true. Until the Didcot shuttle arrive there were literally 0 GWR trains in the station though there was enough passengers to fill all the seats (with social distancing).

Status
Not open for further replies.