• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EU Referendum: The result and aftermath...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM9

Veteran Member
Not at all... I have on numerous occasions predicted the course of events since the fall of Communism in Eastern Europe...in this particular case I predicted that the EU would refuse to let us go... as is proved by this so called deal. Why, might you ask, did I vote for something I knew had no hope of succeeding? Simple really... I was hoping that it would open the eyes of the population in general as to the true nature of the EU... unfortunately remainers are so busy saying "I told you so" that they can't see the truth... that we have already lost our sovereignty and democracy... it was taken away from us while we weren't looking years ago.... this is the outcome that the "Bastards" of Major's government were warning about during the Maastricht negotiations and debates....as many of today's Brexiteers are the inheritors of the Bastards baton us Leave supporters could just as much say to remainers "see.. told you so!"
Not everybody is obsessed with sovereignty (many don't even know what it is). There are far more important things in most peoples' lives, like a job, somewhere to live, good health and its provision, adequate food and heating, etc., so much of the preoccupation with the phenominum is from comfortable citizens with an overdeveloped sense of self-entitlement that's been triggered by leave actgivists.
I care a lot more about people's needs rather than their obsessions.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HH

Established Member
I have on numerous occasions predicted the course of events since the fall of Communism in Eastern Europe...in this particular case I predicted that the EU would refuse to let us go... as is proved by this so called deal.
Continuously stating the same thing does not make it true. The deal is caused by numerous things, including May's weak position, which she caused through calling an unnecessary election; however, we could walk away with no deal. OK that would cause a huge increase in inflation in the short term, but surely that's worth it if we regain sovereignty? Well Mogglodytes think so; of course, they're all so well off that they'll hardly notice it.

Senex

Established Member
Not everybody is obsessed with sovereignty (many don't even know what it is).
Does any of us really know what sovereignty really means in today's world where in all sorts of ways no country can be in sole control of its own destiny? Many of those who keep banging on about it in the Brexit context seem to see it simply as a matter of exchanging a supposed Brussels dictatorship for a very real Westminster dictatorship, but isn't that really something of a relic of a nineteenth-century nationalism that doesn't really work in any case in a state made up of several nations?

dosxuk

Established Member
Does any of us really know what sovereignty really means in today's world where in all sorts of ways no country can be in sole control of its own destiny? Many of those who keep banging on about it in the Brexit context seem to see it simply as a matter of exchanging a supposed Brussels dictatorship for a very real Westminster dictatorship, but isn't that really something of a relic of a nineteenth-century nationalism that doesn't really work in any case in a state made up of several nations?

Then there's the rules and rulings that come from other bodies - I'm still waiting for the collective realisation from the Brexiteers that even if we shake off the ECJ, that won't stop the ECHR from saying we can't deport random foreigners.

It'd be interesting to know from them though which international organisations they are happy to take instruction from. Do we need to leave the International Standards Organisation too? How about the Geneva Convention? If we're upset at unelected bureaucrats giving us instructions, should we be leaving the UN too?

HH

Established Member
Then there's the rules and rulings that come from other bodies - I'm still waiting for the collective realisation from the Brexiteers that even if we shake off the ECJ, that won't stop the ECHR from saying we can't deport random foreigners.

It'd be interesting to know from them though which international organisations they are happy to take instruction from. Do we need to leave the International Standards Organisation too? How about the Geneva Convention? If we're upset at unelected bureaucrats giving us instructions, should we be leaving the UN too?
NATO, Interpol, the WTO, the World Bank, IMF, UNESCO, World Health Organisation, Red Cross, ISO, International Civil Aviation Organisation, etc. etc. etc.

In any case, surely the biggest threat comes not from these organisations that exist largely for easing cooperation, but rather those who look only to themselves, such as Amazon, Starbucks and Facebook.

Muttley

Continuously stating the same thing does not make it true. The deal is caused by numerous things, including May's weak position, which she caused through calling an unnecessary election; however, we could walk away with no deal. OK that would cause a huge increase in inflation in the short term, but surely that's worth it if we regain sovereignty? Well Mogglodytes think so; of course, they're all so well off that they'll hardly notice it.
Win win, then.
Why do you think a rise in inflation is a bad thing ?

najaB

Veteran Member
IF you were brutally honest with yourself you would admit that what effect that policy would have on neighbours, co-workers and even strangers would have absolutely no bearing on how you would vote... you only vote for the party that you believe will give YOU the best deal for YOU.
Again, you presume to know my motivations. And again you have got it completely wrong.

In the past I have voted againt options that would have made me personally better off because they weren't good for the majority (proposed changes to working conditions).

najaB

Veteran Member
Why don't you think it isn't?
Depends entirely on what level it rises to. Very low (or negative) inflation is a symptom of an economy that is severely underperforming. C.f. Japan from the mid 1990s onwards.

Teflon Lettuce

Established Member
It's the only chance we have of lessening out debt.
how does inflation lessen our debt? the first thing that happens when inflation starts to rise out of control is that interest rates go up... which means the interest on debt goes up meaning more spending on debt... leads to recession... lower tax take to treasury higher spending on benefits...more borrowing... more debt we've been down that road often enough to know where it leads

najaB

Veteran Member
how does inflation lessen our debt? the first thing that happens when inflation starts to rise out of control...
Nice context switch. Nobody mentioned inflation rising 'out of control' (besides you), but quietly slipping that idea into the discussion allows you to slay the straw bogey man.

Teflon Lettuce

Established Member
Nice context switch. Nobody mentioned inflation rising 'out of control' (besides you), but quietly slipping that idea into the discussion allows you to slay the straw bogey man.
eh? quite apart from the fact that I haven't got the slightest idea of what you're trying to accuse me of..... we've had years of interest rates steady at below 1%.... if interest rates were to rise due to disruption of the economy it would probably be a quick pronounced spike {remember the ERM fiasco when interest rates went up by about 10% in about 2 days?} even a rapid spike to 5% would probably tip the economy into recession

HH

Established Member
People seem to be getting confused by the messenger rather than the message. A little inflation is generally a good thing. Those of us, who've lived through the times that it's been high, know that a lot is definitely not.

nidave

I do like all these comments from Remainers about the Leaver vote being a selfish one? REALLY? you're telling me that ALL leavers voted for their own selfish self-interest and ALL remainers voted with altruistic self sacrifice... what absolute rot... NO-ONE votes altruistically... EVERYONE votes the way that they believe will give THEM the best outcome.... NOT A SINGLE VOTER voted in the referendum with a small carribean island in mind.. not even you remainers!
I voted remain to keep the peace in n. Ireland. How dare you destroy the GFA after what I and others have gone though growing up and voted to stop.

Teflon Lettuce

Established Member
I voted remain to keep the peace in n. Ireland. How dare you destroy the GFA after what I and others have gone though growing up and voted to stop.
I voted leave, I would hope for altruistic reasons... but in truth I probably never thought past what I thought would be best for those beyond my own friends and family.... that's where, in general, the limit of a persons altruism lays... and I don't claim to be a superhero

As to the situation with the border in Ireland I am the first to admit that I truly believed that Ireland isn't part of schengen...after all there was {almost} free movement between Ireland and the UK for years before schengen so if Ireland's been part of Schengen all this time all this paranoia about our French frontier has been absolutely pointless...

However as I thought Ireland was outside of Schengen I thought it would just be a matter of agreeing to guarunteeing an open border on condition that Ireland doesn't join Schengen.

nidave

I voted leave, I would hope for altruistic reasons... but in truth I probably never thought past what I thought would be best for those beyond my own friends and family.... that's where, in general, the limit of a persons altruism lays... and I don't claim to be a superhero

As to the situation with the border in Ireland I am the first to admit that I truly believed that Ireland isn't part of schengen...after all there was {almost} free movement between Ireland and the UK for years before schengen so if Ireland's been part of Schengen all this time all this paranoia about our French frontier has been absolutely pointless...

However as I thought Ireland was outside of Schengen I thought it would just be a matter of agreeing to guarunteeing an open border on condition that Ireland doesn't join Schengen.
So you are throwing millions of people under a bus because of pure ignorance. You might want to put a little more thought into life in future and try not to destroy other peoples lives. You have no idea how angry a lot of the people are over this. Particularly my generation.

najaB

Veteran Member
And how, pray tell, do we have an open border with Ireland, Ireland have free movement of goods and people with the EU and the UK not have free movement of goods and people with the EU, all at the same time?

Teflon Lettuce

Established Member
Ireland IS outside of Schengen.
so that means coming from any other EU country to Ireland apart from the UK you have to show your passport? so if we were to have a customs union with limitations on free movement of people {ie control our own borders} why do we need a "backstop" The whole point of wanting to control our borders isn't to try and stop people from coming to visit... it's to control who settles in the UK considering we are such a crowded island with limited resources.

Teflon Lettuce

Established Member
So you are throwing millions of people under a bus because of pure ignorance. You might want to put a little more thought into life in future and try not to destroy other peoples lives. You have no idea how angry a lot of the people are over this. Particularly my generation.
and of course you were a paragon of virtue and had ALL the facts to hand and took notice of ALL those facts did you? funny how STILL after ALL this time Remainers are still trying the "we're paragons of virtue, Brexiteers are ignorant and as thick as pig dirties"..... NOT!

Howardh

Established Member
so that means coming from any other EU country to Ireland apart from the UK you have to show your passport? so if we were to have a customs union with limitations on free movement of people {ie control our own borders} why do we need a "backstop" The whole point of wanting to control our borders isn't to try and stop people from coming to visit... it's to control who settles in the UK considering we are such a crowded island with limited resources.
Any EU citizen has the right to travel to Ireland for any reason, and to get in they just wave their passport or ID card. Only extremely dangerous individuals have the right to be prevented. Once in Ireland they are free to cross the open border into the UK unchallenged and unknown.
Therefore anyone we might wish to keep out of the aUK who might be stopped at Dover or Heathrow can simply avoid that route and enter via Ireland, the open back door.
And once in we won't have a clue if they're up to no good.
Makes a bit of a mockery about "control of borders" when one is wide open now and will be so after Brexit.

Teflon Lettuce

Established Member
Any EU citizen has the right to travel to Ireland for any reason, and to get in they just wave their passport or ID card. Only extremely dangerous individuals have the right to be prevented. Once in Ireland they are free to cross the open border into the UK unchallenged and unknown.
Therefore anyone we might wish to keep out of the aUK who might be stopped at Dover or Heathrow can simply avoid that route and enter via Ireland, the open back door.
Makes a bit of a mockery about "control of borders" when one is wide open now and will be so after Brexit.
and that was what I was trying to allude to... with all due respect to @nidave I really don't remember anyone in the leave campaign mentioning these facts... and that the NI border would be hugely problematic.... when people are thinking of immigration they automatically think of Dover/Folkestone and major airports... simply because that is where media focusses on when talking about the subject. Perhaps if the Remain campaign had tried Project Fact rather than Project Fear then perhaps there might have been a different outcome..

DynamicSpirit

Established Member

The backstop isn't for people, it's for goods and services.

najaB

Veteran Member
it's to control who settles in the UK considering we are such a crowded island with limited resources.
The UK is neither particularly crowded (we're #53 out of 253 on Wikipedia's list of contries/territories by population density) nor do we have limited resources (we're #26 out of 183 on the list of per-capita GDP ).

Last edited:

DynamicSpirit

Established Member

To be fair, it is still possible to have some control of people entering even with the open border between Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic. You might not be able to stop people entering, but you can make it virtually impossible for them to legally work, or to legally find anywhere to live, thereby making it hard for them to stay in the UK if they don't have a network of friends etc. willing to break the law to support them. And to a large extent that's already done. That's not much different from the situation today where it's impossible to stop - say - a Chinese citizen with an Irish visa but not a UK visa from crossing into Northern Ireland anyway. There's also the fact that getting from NI to mainland GB requires taking either a ferry or a flight, and it probably wouldn't be too hard in principle to enforce ID checks on all passengers that would pick up on right to be in the UK (although that might be politically difficult).

Goods and services are of course a completely different matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.