• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EU Referendum: The result and aftermath...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Modron

Isn't it NATO more so than the EU that has been responsible for the relative detente over the past 70 or so years?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fowler9

Established Member
Yes - it is made up of "foreign" countries, just as we are foreign to them. All the members are elected - how can you say it's not a democracy? Just because it's full of "foreigners" doesn't make it undemocratic. If it were full of Brits it would be undemocratic.

That's not the fault of the EU - that's down to the media and the profile of the MEPs. Aside from scare stories in the Daily Mail and the Express, there's been little historic interest in the EU which has gone about its work quite well. All until Cameron's little intervention which has suddenly given every man and his dog an opinion.

No war in Europe for those in the EU for over 70 years seems pretty good to me.

Indeed. I have friends from Poland, Estonia, Spain, Italy, Greece, Malta, The Philippines, Germany, Chile, Colombia who I feel I have a lot more in common with than many British people I could possibly be friends with. Tomorrow I am going to see a Polish and a Swedish band with two Poles and a German. Oddly enough the band's will be singing (If you can call it that) in English.

Sorry mate, replied to the wrong person who was replying to the same person you were. (Edit)

nidave

NEW: Chris Grayling has terminated a contract with Seaborne Freight to provide ferries in the event of a no deal Brexit. No tax payer money has gone to the firm. A DFT spokesperson said: "it became clear Seaborne would not reach its contractual requirements with the Government".
https://twitter.com/robpowellnews/status/1094123923837542400?s=19

At least they have finally seen sense in Westminster. Did someone grab Grayling and shake him until they shook some sense into him. It's not like him to make a sensible decision. He struggles to tie his shoes.

433N

Did someone grab Grayling and shake him until they shook some sense into him. It's not like him to make a sensible decision. He struggles to tie his shoes.

Careful. You're talking about one of the key figures leading us to the Promised Land. :'(

HH

Established Member
At least they have finally seen sense in Westminster. Did someone grab Grayling and shake him until they shook some sense into him. It's not like him to make a sensible decision. He struggles to tie his shoes.
No, it's simply that the Irish company that was backing this bunch of chancers has withdrawn their support. No reason has been given.

HH

Established Member
Indeed. I have friends from Poland, Estonia, Spain, Italy, Greece, Malta, The Philippines, Germany, Chile, Colombia who I feel I have a lot more in common with than many British people I could possibly be friends with.
I'm lucky enough to now work in a company that has many international offices and encourages secondment of staff and which has hired people in London from around the world, which means I get to mix with people from many different countries. It never enters my head to think of these people as "foreigners"; they're pretty much the same as everyone else at work - I judge them on aptitude and attitude. Prejudice is based on ignorance and exploited by those with hidden agendas.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
No, it's simply that the Irish company that was backing this bunch of chancers has withdrawn their support. No reason has been given.

I'm now wondering what the costs of scrapping the contract will be to the government. I doubt that it will be a clean break with nothing to pay for costs incurred to date - ie. the taxpayer funding a bunch of chancers to start a business.

Howardh

Established Member
Anyone here with some pallets and empty oil drums? I know this bloke called Grayling that might be interested. Few bob in it too....

nidave

Anyone here with some pallets and empty oil drums? I know this bloke called Grayling that might be interested. Few bob in it too....
Just dont ask him to tie the drums to the pallets :)

For those that keep saying this is all about "sovereignty" - its not... its about making the rich richer while we all suffer. Why do people still defend brexit?
A six-day trip to the US by former Brexit secretary David Davis was partly funded by an American lobbying organisation that is alleged to favour weakening European Union regulations on environmental and food standards.

The Oklahoma-based organisation, the E Foundation, paid £5,362 to Davis, who was accompanied by fellow Brexiter Owen Paterson on the trip last month. The organisation represents agricultural and energy interests.
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...siness-lobbyists-paid-for-trip-by-david-davis

nidave

This is actually a good thing - no hard border in Ireland / N. Ireland but its the USA calling the shots again. The fact that the USA is reminding the UK to honour the GFA is amusing and sad.
We are being dictated to by every country under the sun now. Sigh
US lawmakers have warned that the UK must ensure a “soft” Irish border if London wants to secure a trade deal with Washington, further clouding Theresa May’s hope of boosting British trade after Brexit. At a Washington reception for the Irish foreign minister Simon Coveney on Wednesday, prominent congressmen from both the Democratic and Republican parties said the UK had to honour the 1998 Good Friday Agreement, which underpinned the peace settlement in Northern Ireland, as it negotiates its departure from the EU.
https://www.ft.com/content/79cdf2a8-2b02-11e9-a5ab-ff8ef2b976c7

Jonny

Established Member

nidave

A minority group in the USA, they only have limited influence over one party.
So you want the GFA to be destroyed do you all in the name of a trade deal with the USA - the choices are honour the GFA and no border (therefore keeping with EU rules and no US trade deal) or destroy the GFA and all EU rules (just to ensure a trade deal with the USA) - but its just one group.... but what about these other groups demanding the following?
Lobbyists for big firms made more than 130 demands, which include:
  • Changing how NHS chiefs buy drugs to suit big US pharmaceutical companies
  • Britain scraps its safety-first approach to safety and food standards
  • Law changes that would allow foreign companies to sue the British state
  • Removal of protections for traditional British products.
https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/en...6e4b00187b5579f64?ncid=tweetlnkukhpmg00000008

Trade negotiations are a series of choices, of which the decision to launch talks is by far the easiest. How prepared are you for trade-offs that can't be wished out of existence or shut down debate on by pointing to a referendum result?

In other news it looks like the tin foil hat brigade is out in full with Mogg
Was this under implied pressure from the Irish Government?
https://twitter.com/Jacob_Rees_Mogg/status/1094213942946217984

nidave

The ERG are only a minority ......
Pity they are not even more of a minority - but there are reports they are having massive internal fights - so hopefully they wont be long for this earth.

Days to go until Brexit - 48
Alternative Arrangements - 0
Trade Agreements this week - 1 (Faroe Islands)

Howardh

Established Member
Pity they are not even more of a minority - but there are reports they are having massive internal fights - so hopefully they wont be long for this earth.

Days to go until Brexit - 48
Alternative Arrangements - 0
Trade Agreements this week - 1 (Faroe Islands)
Great historical sea-faring nation.
Can't find a British company with any boats.
Or a half-decent port to sail them from.

Yup, Brexit's going sooo well; I'm really pleased I voted to leave*, we're in such capable hands.

*I'm lying, obviously (and happy to own up to that little porky).

JamesT

Established Member
I'm now wondering what the costs of scrapping the contract will be to the government. I doubt that it will be a clean break with nothing to pay for costs incurred to date - ie. the taxpayer funding a bunch of chancers to start a business.

Previous reports said the contract was entirely results based. Nothing has been delivered, so nothing is owed.

nidave

Previous reports said the contract was entirely results based. Nothing has been delivered, so nothing is owed.
Wonder if they will still try and sue the government or if the contract is watertight as you say.

HH

Established Member
I can say from experience that DfT make payments to private companies when they have no definite legal obligation to do so. Not saying that will happen here, but it could.

furnessvale

Established Member
Wonder if they will still try and sue the government or if the contract is watertight as you say.
Three things spring to mind.

1. Has Seaborne started the work of chartering the required vessel.

2. Who paid for the recent dredging.

3. Now that the potential for blackmailing the government has evaporated, I wonder if the local authority will remove its threat to cease funding the port.

The first two could affect any compensation claim.

Groningen

Established Member
The UK and other countries is trying to get skilled Dutch workers to leave their own country. The Brexit makes it so that Dutch workers feel less welcome and go to others countries.

Howardh

Established Member
The UK and other countries is trying to get skilled Dutch workers to leave their own country. The Brexit makes it so that Dutch workers feel less welcome and go to others countries.
Well you are good at dredging! The Guardian reports today that the NL are wooing British companies to go over and keep their businesses in the EU. Probably have plenty of takers.
Q for Brexit - how many companies have or intend to leave the UK, and how many from the EU have decided or intend move here?

Esker-pades

Established Member
Well you are good at dredging! The Guardian reports today that the NL are wooing British companies to go over and keep their businesses in the EU. Probably have plenty of takers.
Q for Brexit - how many companies have or intend to leave the UK, and how many from the EU have decided or intend move here?
It will be very, very hard to answer that question. Whilst the figures will be available for big business, small businesses will be much harder to determine. This is exacerbated when one tries to determine the cause of such moves.

Modron

Dear oh dear... that attention seeking Professor didn't half let her side down.

It is idiots like her who ruined the argument between staying and leaving, with total narcissistic stupidity.

nidave

More and more no deal preparations taking place. Feel sorry for those in the area.

Highways chiefs say are using “lessons learned” from Operation Stack to prepare for a no-deal Brexit.
Work on installing the temporary steel ‘Brexit barriers’ along the coastbound carriageway of the M20 begins this weekend, which will lead to the introduction of a 50mph speed limit along an eight-mile stretch.
https://www.highwaysindustry.com/brexit-barriers-to-be-installed-on-m20-this-weekend/

Howardh

Established Member
Waking up this morning to reports in the Guardian/Observer that May could be forced into a referendum on her deal/remain in order to get the darned thing through Parliament. That would mean delaying A50 but the EU have accepted that if we have a referendum or an election.

If May doesn't want that - she clearly doesn't - then something has to give, maybe those red lines and be more accepting of a single market/customs union partnership which would probably sail through parliament and wouldn't necessitate another public vote. Chances are that would mean not only we kept our freedom of movement, but we could also keep our fish, make our own trade deals and be out of the Common Agricultural Policy and reduce our contributions. Win-win for everyone.

furnessvale

Established Member
Waking up this morning to reports in the Guardian/Observer that May could be forced into a referendum on her deal/remain in order to get the darned thing through Parliament. That would mean delaying A50 but the EU have accepted that if we have a referendum or an election.

If May doesn't want that - she clearly doesn't - then something has to give, maybe those red lines and be more accepting of a single market/customs union partnership which would probably sail through parliament and wouldn't necessitate another public vote. Chances are that would mean not only we kept our freedom of movement, but we could also keep our fish, make our own trade deals and be out of the Common Agricultural Policy and reduce our contributions. Win-win for everyone.
You should be on the negotiating team. Hell, if you can achieve all that even I could vote remain!

Status
Not open for further replies.