• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Exam season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D306

Established Member
English earlier, now I have 5 more papers to sit, and only 4 more days to go into school, except for 6th form induction day, untill I go and get my results

dan_atki

Established Member
Thats one of the fundamentals of a calculator.

:shock: That would then mean my 'University approved calculator' is not actually a calculator :o I think maybe I should complain to the powers that be...

[pedant]
If I'm being ultra picky, though, the fundamental thing a calulator does is calculate mathematical expressions such as '2 + 3', '4 * 2', 'sqrt(81)' etc.

An equation on the other hand is one where the symbol of equality joins two expressions. These are normally algebraic such as '5x + 2 = 7' and certain calculators will allow you to type in such an equation and it will find out a value x can take to satisfy the equation.

In equations higher than first order (linear) there are as many values as the highest power of the variable given (these may be repeated or complex) and some calculators will give you all possible results (given that it is in the correct mode too).
[/pedant]

RJ

Established Member
Yup! Not sure if that was right though...

That's what I got as I had my calculator in rad mode - speaking to some of my mates, a few of them got 22.something but I suspect they were in deg mode.

I had 0.8rad as 45.83 degrees.

RJ

Established Member
Not for me 8). Although I forgot to convert it back at first to deg when using the cosine rule - I was wondering for a sec why it was giving me -3 as the length of the line of a triangle :shock:.

FusionRail

:shock: That would then mean my 'University approved calculator' is not actually a calculator :o I think maybe I should complain to the powers that be...

[pedant]
If I'm being ultra picky, though, the fundamental thing a calulator does is calculate mathematical expressions such as '2 + 3', '4 * 2', 'sqrt(81)' etc.

An equation on the other hand is one where the symbol of equality joins two expressions. These are normally algebraic such as '5x + 2 = 7' and certain calculators will allow you to type in such an equation and it will find out a value x can take to satisfy the equation.

In equations higher than first order (linear) there are as many values as the highest power of the variable given (these may be repeated or complex) and some calculators will give you all possible results (given that it is in the correct mode too).
[/pedant]

Thats what i ment, cheers for pointing that out to Nathan who seems to not understand maths 8)

vc-10

Yeah, I found that I'd used the wrong mode when checking through (it's great, I'm mildly dyslexic, so get extra time, but don't need it in Maths!). I also found that I'd put in 0.5 instead of -0.5 in the second trig equation (the 6-marker, with 6 answers), so hastily redid the question...

RJ

Established Member
Ditto - taking bets on aggregate demand/supply being the topic for the 12 marker 8)

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Ditto - taking bets on aggregate demand/supply being the topic for the 12 marker 8)

I think if you didn't mention AD/AS in the macro 12 marker somewhere you'd be slightly stuffed :lol:;)

Phoenix

Established Member
There has been so many times when I have come up with an answer like that and had to hold back.
Oh well no exams this year but lot's of work at uni next year.

D306

Established Member
French listening at one (Easy as driving a train on BVE), English tomorrow, and next week I have Science module 4 and French reading and writing.

After that, I'm free to do anything I like. :D

FusionRail

French listening as easy as driving BVE? you must have vista with a completely uncompatible graphics card!! without a keyboard.

Just write all the answers as I 'surrender' and you'll get there - they wont dare fight you :D

Anyway, Geography Paper 2 finished, had a question about Tunstead quarry so along comes a long ramble about Class 60's and 66's on limestone trains :roll:

RJ

Established Member
I think if you didn't mention AD/AS in the macro 12 marker somewhere you'd be slightly stuffed :lol:;)

OCR was our exam board, the macro question was about how an increase in exports affects a country's macroeconomic performance. Banged out 3 pages about GDP for that one. I understand Edexcel's Economics exams were today as well.

Exams = over 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.