• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Exiting a Train via the Door Window

Status
Not open for further replies.

class17

Just seen something different at York. A teanage couple exiting a Grand Central train via the door window.Doors had been locked and they had been trying the handle. Bags out, head first out the window and roll over. Impressive acrobatics by the lad, the girl struggled, I think he helped her out.

I presume they got on this first stop London GC train instead of the next virgin EC train

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dk1

Veteran Member
We get numptys doing this on the GEML from time to time. Not much you can do about it if no BTP nearby. Train usually stopped by pass-com activation by Snr Conductor.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If the train door was broken and I had to get off, I would have done the same.
Extremely unwise. Is this a serious post? Do not attempt this!

I would urge you to reconsider; there should be time to try another door, in the worst case scenario you would pull the alarm.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Sometimes it's the coolest option.
(Only joking Yorkie, it's clearly not the cleverest of ideas).

IMG_4074.JPG

highspeed990

Extremely unwise. Is this a serious post? Do not attempt this!

I would urge you to reconsider; there should be time to try another door, in the worst case scenario you would pull the alarm.
Probably staff would sort it out, but if I really needed to get somewhere and couldn't take the risk, I might.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Or, if you pulled the alarm instead, you would not have the "risk" of being over-carried, nor the risk of serious injury!

Are you going to re-consider?

highspeed990

Or, if you pulled the alarm instead, you would not have the "risk" of being over-carried, nor the risk of serious injury!

You have a point. Though you're talking as though I'm planning this in advance haha

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member

Is pulling the alarm, due to getting on wrong train, missing a stop etc a legitimate reason?

What would get you in most trouble? Pulling the alarm (which warns about penalty for misuse) or getting off by any mean possible (for which there isn't any warning and you can argue your case)

highspeed990

Is pulling the alarm, due to getting on wrong train, missing a stop etc a legitimate reason?

What would get you in most trouble? Pulling the alarm (which warns about penalty for misuse) or getting off by any mean possible (for which there isn't any warning and you can argue your case)
I was going to say this, you'll probably be fined.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

It does say 'Do not lean out of the window' or something similar doesn't it? That would definitely cover it.

johntea

Established Member
I wouldn't consider it misuse in that situation, if you suddenly find out you're about to set off straight to London - without a valid ticket, and then you're basically stranded at the other end...

Actually that is interesting, does a TOC have a duty of care should you catch one of these 'first stop hundreds of miles away' services accidentally and end up arriving there so late that there is no means back by rail until the next morning?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'd say not in general, no, but it may depend on circumstances. And you are not going to be fined for a genuine case.
Getting out through the window is extremely dangerous.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
I'd say not in general, no, but it may depend on circumstances. And you are not going to be fined for a genuine case.

No argument about it, agreed , but no stickered warning for it threatening penalty. "theoretically" climbing out is fine.

BestWestern

Established Member
Actually that is interesting, does a TOC have a duty of care should you catch one of these 'first stop hundreds of miles away' services accidentally and end up arriving there so late that there is no means back by rail until the next morning?

No. Unless the service was incorrectly advertised or the passenger misadvised. Otherwise entirely your problem.

skyhigh

Established Member

Indeed. For those wondering, it is covered at least by Byelaw 10(4) - "No person shall enter or leave a train except by proper use of a train door."

If someone did it in front of me, I'd be extremely unimpressed (unless they had a very good reason).

No argument about it, agreed , but no stickered warning for it threatening penalty. "theoretically" climbing out is fine.
^ Is incorrect in my opinion. When you travel, you agree to abide by the National Rail Conditions of Travel. These state "When you are present in or using stations, train services and other facilities on the National Rail Network, you are also subject to the Railway Byelaws." Not knowing the byelaws isn't a defence.

(NB note that the byelaws apply whether or not you have a ticket).

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
Indeed. For those wondering, it is covered at least by Byelaw 10(4) - "No person shall enter or leave a train except by proper use of a train door."

If someone did it in front of me, I'd be extremely unimpressed (unless they had a very good reason).

Where is the rule stating "proper" use of a door? Dukes of hazard showed me through the window is the way ....... Your honour..

skyhigh

Established Member
Where is the rule stating "proper" use of a door? Dukes of hazard showed me through the window is the way ....... Your honour..
Fair point - I'd say it comes down to reasonable interpretation. Clearly you are not meant to go out the window, otherwise trains wouldn't bother with doors and instead make do with a window... I honestly can't remember, but if there's a notice along the lines of "Lower window for ventilation" or "Lower window to use handle", that would also influence what's reasonable.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
No sane person will deem dragging oneself through a train window as "proper" use.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
Fair point - I'd say it comes down to reasonable interpretation. Clearly you are not meant to go out the window, otherwise trains wouldn't bother with doors and instead make do with a window... I honestly can't remember, but if there's a notice along the lines of "Lower window for ventilation" or "Lower window to use handle", that would also influence what's reasonable.

If you wanted to use the handle...... :)

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
No sane person will deem dragging oneself through a train window as "proper" use.

Going from Bristol to London and back more than once without alighting is normal though? Pages of uproar about his treatment for doing things "differently" to the norm!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
E Pericoloso Sporghersi, as the Italians certainly used to say if the signs under the windows in all their carriages were to be believed. It was the first Italian I ever learned while on a school trip by train to Rome, and it's stayed with me, along with only one or two others. It's dangerous to stick your bonce out of the window would be a rough and ready translation; I'm not sure the Italians would countenance any other part of the body.

Status
Not open for further replies.