Expansions for Scotland's rail network proposed

Discussion in 'Infrastructure & Stations' started by och aye, 21 Nov 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

At the macro level, that proposition just about holds water. But the geared turbofan of 2015 bears virtually no resemblance to a 1960s turbojet other than they both turn fuel into thrust.
    If you mean that there's no non-liquid fuelled alternative then again, I just about agree with you. But there's no reason why that liquid needs to be a hydrocarbon, and even less reason why it has to be from fossil fuel.

2. gghdev

gghdev Member

Battery tech has been slow at improving, but it too will evolve. Today we can only power small planes for short flights. But 30 years, as an arbitrary time period, is a very long time in tech. I wouldn't be throwing my arms up in the air claiming "it's not possible". Where there's a need, and a profit to be made, progress isn't far behind. Let's wait and see.

3. BigCj34

BigCj34 Member

Anyway fear not, Boris Johnson an Irish Sea bridge between NI and Scotland so all is good! No idea if that would include a railway though.

4. deltic08

deltic08 On Moderation

What would it run on then?

5. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

There have ready been both commercial and military trials of bioderived fuels. And direct hydrocarbon synthesis has come a long way in recent years.

In terms of energy density, some alcohols could reasonably act as substitutes.

6. Struner

Struner Member

Don't think so :E In that respect as well, it resembles his previous bridge project :lol:

7. route101

route101 Established Member

Was looking at the Bridge just to the west of East Kilbride station , the bridge has them guards you find on bridges on lines with wires , maybe ok for the wires to go in . I know some of the bridges further down are not though.

8. yorkie

yorkie Forum Staff Staff Member Administrator

This thread appears to have run its course.

If anyone wishes to post ideas or speculative posts, please use the Speculative Ideas section.

If there are any actual developments on any proposed expansion, these can be discussed in a new thread dedicated to that particular project in the Infrastructure & Stations section, but any ideas people have still need to be posted in Speculative Ideas.

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.