• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Extent of Quadruple Track from London termini

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucan

Established Member
Trivia, or is it? Up to what points are the main lines from London quadruple track? I think I know some, correct me if I am wrong :-

Brighton Line to a little north of Balcombe Tunnel
GWR main line to Steventon
LSWR to Worting Junction, just west of Basingstoke
Midland Main Line to Sharnbrook (Unusually goes to three tracks)

Any more?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cactustwirly

Established Member
Trivia, or is it? Up to what points are the main lines from London quadruple track? I think I know some, correct me if I am wrong :-

Brighton Line to a little north of Balcombe Tunnel
GWR main line to Steventon
LSWR to Worting Junction, just west of Basingstoke
Midland Main Line to Sharnbrook (Unusually goes to three tracks)

Any more?

Also the MML from Syston North Jct to Trent Jct

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
How wide is the space allowed to be between the middle two tracks of the four?

Mugby

Established Member
I'm sure I've read somewhere that the Midland line from St. Pancras to Glendon South, 75 miles, used to hold the record for the longest stretch of quadruple track in the world?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The normal standard space is 10 feet.

It isn’t. The normal terminology is “10 foot”. But it can be all sorts of distances. For example on the WCML between Roade and Hilmorton it can be several miles wide.

Mugby

Established Member
It isn’t. The normal terminology is “10 foot”. But it can be all sorts of distances. For example on the WCML between Roade and Hilmorton it can be several miles wide.

Er, why ask the question if you already knew the answer?

Lucan

Established Member
How about the WCML from Euston to Hanslope Junction (lines actually separate north of Roade).
Re: Roade-Northhampton-Rugby, I think it still counts as quad even if the slow lines wander away as long as they rejoin later. Like the Redhill and Quarry lines on the Brighton line. The WCML is even six-track to Watford, although the Local (ie Overground) lines wander off quite a way to Watford High Street en route.

Sorry, but where is Hanslope Junction?

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

It was specifically for this thread, ie to determine the longest extent of 4 tracking, how far can the gap between the tracks be?

Because if it is a standard “10 foot”* then it will be St Pancras to Sharnbrook. If it is allowed to be any distance on the same route, then it is Euston to Brinklow.

* interestingly, most of the WCML south of Roade doesn’t actually have a 10 foot that is a standard 10 feet.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
London Bridge to Orpington.

If we're counting the Quarry line, one would be tempted to say Victoria to Swanley (counting the Catford loop), although strictly speaking there's a short bit with three tracks North of Factory junction, so maybe a bit tenuous.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I'm sure I've read somewhere that the Midland line from St. Pancras to Glendon South, 75 miles, used to hold the record for the longest stretch of quadruple track in the world?
I thought it was just in the UK, and presumably will be so again when the current upgrade is complete. Although it is now only 2 tracks into St Pancras.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I thought it was just in the UK, and presumably will be so again when the current upgrade is complete. Although it is now only 2 tracks into St Pancras.
4 track into St Pancras, surely? (2 into high level platforms and 2 into low level platforms)

RichardN

Because the precise rules effect the answer. For example the Brighton line only gets as far as Stoat's nest if you want to be really picky.

Tobbes

Established Member
Waterloo - Barnes, on the Windsor side (unless you want to count the Hounslow loop?)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Charing Cross to Ewer Street Junction* [between Waterloo East & London bridge], so just over a mile
But the four tracks still go well beyond London Bridge. Although two are normally reserved for Thameslink from that point on the four tracking still functionally exists.

Lucan

Established Member
.... the Brighton line only gets as far as Stoat's nest if you want to be really picky.
The Quarry Line, which is the Brighton fast lines turning away from the slows at Stoats Nest and rejoining south of Redhill (having tunnelled under it) and having no stations on it, is operationally no different from if it stayed 10ft from the slow lines and went through Redhill without platform faces. Same with the Northampton loop on the WCML. But I don't think it can count if both branches have stations (like the Richmond and Hounslow lines re-joining at Feltham Jcn) otherwise you could cite the EC&WCMLs to say there are quad tracks all the way to Edinburgh!*

* Oh, wait - that's a single lead junction at Carstairs!

Kite159

Veteran Member
But the four tracks still go well beyond London Bridge. Although two are normally reserved for Thameslink from that point on the four tracking still functionally exists.

Although where would you draw the line on the other side of London Bridge when those Thameslink tracks head towards New Cross Gate with the 2 tracks used by Charing Cross trains dive underneath to carry on towards New Cross to run alongside the tracks from Cannon Street?

Status
Not open for further replies.