Extentions to day rangers

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by 37401, 22 Dec 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 37401

37401 Established Member

Hi all, out of intrest is it possible to have an extention to a day ranger?

If so how much is a West Mids with an extention to Milton Keynes

Cheers :D

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. transportphoto

transportphoto Established Member Quizmaster

AFAIAA - you have to buy from/to the station on/inside the border of the West Mids, however you can use a non-stop as one of your tickets (the rover) is zonal.

Again- please wait for someone else to reply as I may not be correct.

4. nedchester

nedchester Established Member

I am pretty sure that in the case of Rangers not Rovers the train has to stop at the change over stations.

5. Mojo

Mojo Administrator Staff Member Administrator

The train DOES have to stop with a day ranger; the train only doesn't have to call when combining a single/return or a PTE Travelcard (not TfL) with a season ticket (not PTE) or leisure travel pass (eg. rover) which is valid a minimum of 7 consecutive or 3 in 7 consecutive days.

I've never heard of extensions (although Network WM Daytrippers can have an add on to some locations) for day rangers, so you'll need to buy a single/return from any station where the train stops (doesn't have to be the edge of the day ranger area).

6. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

But what do the rules say? (anyone can guess - but, to give you credit, at least you didn't post something clearly incorrect as 'fact' as some people have done!)

The rules say that both tickets would need to be zonal. Not just one!

It's a shame that a West Mids isn't valid northeast of Tamworth toward Burton, and likewise a Derbyshire Wayfarer isn't valid southwest of Burton toward Tamworth. If they were both valid at the same station, then I believe that would 'count' as being two arguably zonal tickets ('those tickets which permit travel only within a defined area').

An example of where zonal tickets do meet would be the Derbyshire Wayfarer and the Greater Manchester Wayfarer, allowing use of a non-stop train Stockport to Sheffield.

7. 37401

37401 Established Member

Ahh righto, was planning on doing a

New Street - Milton Keynes
    Milton Keynes - New Street
    New Street - Milton Keynes
    Milton Keynes - New Street

leap about, something which I cant do on a rtn isnt it?

8. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Yes, a season or leisure pass valid for at least 7 days (ie, a proper 'rover' as opposed to a 'day ranger'), would be valid with non-season/leisure pass ticket(s) for use on non-stop trains.

Only one of a), b), or c) needs to apply, so if you don't want the train to call at the station where you change from one ticket to the next, then you need to look at ensuring both tickets are zonal or having one season/leisure pass ticket and the other(s) not.

9. t0ffeeman

t0ffeeman Member

There used to be an extension for the West Mids between Shrewsbury and Hereford via Ludlow. However it was gone on privatisation.

10. A0wen

A0wen Established Member

I can't think of how you'd do this with a day ranger. And if you're planning on using Virgin to get to MK, then you'll also fall foul of the fact very few VWC trains stop at both MK and Rugby, so you'll end up having to pay for an MK - Coventry ticket.

IIRC a couple of the 3 day rovers do extend to MKC (and also Bedford on the MML) but they will cost you more than the £ 20 that a West Mids Day Ranger costs you.......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.