• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FA Cup Semi Final

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Aside from Liverpool not wishing to play on the 15th, surely playing 1230 on Sunday would've be even more problematical for transport by rail. Far fewer trains on a Sunday.

Liverpool not wanting to play on the 15th isn't really a transport issue. It's not exactly fair on Chelsea, who also have to play Barcelona on the 18th and would have appreciated the extra day though, but that is an entirely different discussion.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bnm

Established Member
Fixture congestion is a problem and is obviously made worse if one team refuse to play on a certain date.

Whilst it's understandable Liverpool don't want to play on the 15th April, it is a little unfair on other teams, when that refusal impacts on their fixture schedule.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Fixture congestion is a problem and is obviously made worse if one team refuse to play on a certain date.

Whilst it's understandable Liverpool don't want to play on the 15th April, it is a little unfair on other teams, when that refusal impacts on their fixture schedule.

I am sure that they would think again if the FA said that is the date either play or conceed the tie - but as you say that is another debate. I think Liverpool have the more powerful position as the FA can't afford to lose the cash unless they just reinstate the team Liverpool defeated in the previous round.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
The FA should call Liverpool's bluff though. Manchester United don't refuse to play on February 6th. Bradford dont refuse to play on May 11th. (etc)

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The FA should call Liverpool's bluff though. Manchester United don't refuse to play on February 6th. Bradford dont refuse to play on May 11th. (etc)

Unless involved in the play-offs, I doubt Bradford would be asked to play on May 11th now, so we don't really know what their stance would be. Manchester United's disaster was a completely different sort of disaster; it wasn't at a game itself and didn't involve lots of their fans. Also, Liverpool's situation is mudied by two things: (a) the match in question is another FA Cup semi-final; and (b) the handling of the inquiry afterwards means that 23 years on we still don't officially know what happened.

sonic2009

Established Member
I can accept that many of you are questioning why we don't play on the 15th, and for people who say the FA should call our bluff, what message would that bring across?

Liverpool have refused to play on the 15th for many years, and this is also the date when the memorial service is held at Anfield every year. Many other footballing incidents have been officially been investigated, Hillsborough was not.

That's why the Government have set up the inquiry, and to get Justice for the 96 that died.

On the subject of the FA personally i think Tottenham vs Chelsea should of been played at the Emirates, and Liverpool vs Everton at the Eithad/Old Trafford, but that's the way the FA decide to play their cards, by selling tv rights, and therefore playing at Wembley, brings in more money.

On the Transport side of things, surely Liverpool & Everton Fans travelling on a busy railway, is no different to when rugby fans go to twickenham?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Failed Unit

Established Member
On the Transport side of things, surely Liverpool & Everton Fans travelling on a busy railway, is no different to when rugby fans go to twickenham?

Liverpool suffers from the poor relation of the of the WCML. 1tph only. When you look at the traffic to Twickenham by rail it has at least 8tph on a normal timetable.

It can also be approached from 2 directions.

International crowds tend to merge from multiple directions.

The FA cup has often had this kind of problem with 2 teams from the region all needing to get to London (or Cardiff)

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
....I doubt Bradford would be asked to play on May 11th now, so we don't really know what their stance would be. Manchester United's disaster was a completely different sort of disaster; it wasn't at a game itself and didn't involve lots of their fans....

I can accept that many of you are questioning why we don't play on the 15th, and for people who say the FA should call our bluff, what message would that bring across?

Liverpool have refused to play on the 15th for many years, and this is also the date when the memorial service is held at Anfield every year.....

Bradford have played on the anniversary of the fire and they have a memorial service and a minute's silence every year at 11am on the day, Juventus have played on the anniversary of Heysel, Glasgow Rangers have played on the anniversary of the Ibrox disaster and Man Utd have played on the anniversary of the Munich accident (and ISTR there is a memorial service for that too).

....Many other footballing incidents have been officially been investigated, Hillsborough was not.

....Also, Liverpool's situation is mudied by two things: (a) the match in question is another FA Cup semi-final; and (b) the handling of the inquiry afterwards means that 23 years on we still don't officially know what happened.

Liverpool allege that that don't play as a mark of respect to the dead, it's not a cup semi-final thing, it is every year no matter the game concerned. If there is a political motive, I don't think it is right from a moral stand point.

pitdiver

Liverpool have refused to play on the 15th for many years, and this is also the date when the memorial service is held at Anfield every year. Many other footballing incidents have been officially been investigated, Hillsborough was not.

That's why the Government have set up the inquiry, and to get Justice for the 96 that died.

On the subject of the FA personally i think Tottenham vs Chelsea should of been played at the Emirates, and Liverpool vs Everton at the Eithad/Old Trafford, but that's the way the FA decide to play their cards, by selling tv rights, and therefore playing at Wembley, brings in more money.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

I agree the games should be played at grounds like those mentioned above but isn't there an issue with the club who's ground it is. They may have reasons why they wouldn't want games played on their pitches unless they got suitable financial recompense/

island

Veteran Member
At the risk of getting even further off-topic, it seems like a case of special pleading by Liverpool. Yes, there was a tragedy. But other clubs (see above) have moved on from similar events.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
At the risk of getting even further off-topic, it seems like a case of special pleading by Liverpool. Yes, there was a tragedy. But other clubs (see above) have moved on from similar events.

It isn't quite as simple as that, but nonetheless I agree (and I am a Liverpool fan). It is a source of shame to me that the club's efforts to mark Hillsborough do not extend to Heysel, which was an equally appalling tragedy.

Liverpool should play on the 15th, and move on. Doing so won't affect the continuing and just push for disclosure of official documents surrounding Hillsborough, or the Justice For The 96 cause.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Hillsborough is a tragedy (as a Rangers fan my team has been through similar); but you can't dwell on it forever. By all means have a memorial service every year, but should a fixture fall on that day you go out there and play for the 96, even if it doesn't matter how you play give it your all and do it for them.

cuccir

Established Member
It also seems strange to me that the way of commemorating the tragic deaths of 96 football fans is to not play football. However, as a one off it is understandable - the involvement of Dalglish, who we all know was very affected by the Hillsbrough tragedy and who attended most (all?) of the funerals has to be taken into account, and the fact that it is a cup semi-final. The danger is that it comes off as a sort of Liverpool exceptionalism, even if its not meant that way.

sonic2009

Established Member
reading this report on the BBC website, playing top video the reporter mentions 23 trains, leaving every few minutes, if only that could happen this weekend :)

38Cto15E

With the line closures etc it is a pity that you could no longer use the old route from Birkenhead to Paddington, the trains even could have diverted to Wembley stadium station, which I think used to be called Wembley Hill.

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Can we get back on topic please - any further discussion of Hillsborough etc in this topic will result in it being locked. Thanks :)

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I know we can only guess, but how early would people say fans will be heading down to London? For example, can we expect the 0720 off Warrington and the 0850 / 0912 off Stoke to be rammed?

34D

Established Member
I know we can only guess, but how early would people say fans will be heading down to London? For example, can we expect the 0720 off Warrington and the 0850 / 0912 off Stoke to be rammed?

Well if they know the state of the railways when disruption occurs I'd say yes they will be rammed!

Failed Unit

Established Member
I wonder if London Midland are adding more coaches to help, then encourage people to use them either direct or via Birmingham.

I would probably take the Birmingham option and walk to Moor Street but I suspect the police won't want lots of football fans crossing Birmingham. Saying that this isn't the 1980s

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.