• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Face coverings compulsory on public transport in England from 15 June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smidster

You might think so but, for example, Sheffield Supertram only took ~75% of seats out of use after this legislation was announced by Shapps on 4th June.

For what it's worth LNER for one have confirmed they are sticking with the current passenger limits as well as face coverings.

So you get the "pleasure" of not only looking and feeling a bit strange wandering round in a mask you get to do it in a carriage where thee are no more than 4 people. So nothing more that introducing more restrictions after 3 months during a time we need to be opening up - mad

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dk1

Veteran Member
The usual petty passengers tweeting the TOCs this morning that hes not wearing one, she's not wearing one, a woman opposite has taken hers off to drink her coffee. What on earth do they expect them to do about it?

DelayRepay

Established Member
An meanwhile, BBC Breakfast have just done a segment including reports from a train station and an airport. Of the two reporters, one was repeatedly adjusting his face covering, and of the three 'officials' being interviewed, one had his nose over the top of his face covering. So this is working well...

Weekender

They didn’t; the change was made by secondary legislation under the Public Health (Control of Disease) Act 1984,

The legislation only requires it when boarding or on board a train.

As noted above, masks are not required in stations, so this question is asked from a false premise.
i had emails at the weekend from both GWR and South Western both saying face coverings are compulsory on Stations and trains.

Mintona

Established Member
I’ve seen one case of a passenger tweeting to ask why a driver wasn’t wearing one already. Gosh.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Companies really would be better of trying to get people to comply with regulations that are limited and justifiable, rather than embellishing the rules and ultimately weakening them as people give up on them.

I do wonder who's running this show frankly.

island

Veteran Member
Companies really would be better of trying to get people to comply with regulations that are limited and justifiable, rather than embellishing the rules and ultimately weakening them as people give up on them.

I do wonder who's running this show frankly.
The unions, same as it’s been since time immemorial.

but I digress...

GodAtum

On Moderation
No one checked at my unmanned station today, no one stopped me travelling around London. Only saw staff on the way out at a mainline station.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
On a more serious note, it was mentioned upthread that for an asymptomatic Covid19 passenger, the wearing of a face-covering would likely prevent larger virus-containing droplets from being passed to other passengers. Off-topic, I know, but doesn’t that imply that the wearer will then re-breathe those same droplets, increasing the concentration of the virus-they don’t-know-they’ve-got in his/her lungs??

If there's enough of it in your lungs to be shedding it in considerable quantities, if that does happen it isn't going to be considerable.

Jimini

Established Member
A few observations on my commute today:

1. GWR platform staff insisting all passengers are wearing masks.
  2. No increase in passengers that I noticed at either station, or on the train / tube.
  3. Ticket barriers back in operation at Paddington (platform 10 at least). Previously they were just left open with no staff on the gate.
  4. Free masks being given away on the main concourse (Paddington).
  5. BTP patrolling the tube and challenging people without masks on (didn't see whether they were dishing out fines for them or not).
  6. Wearing a mask for more than 15 seconds is rather uncomfortable!
Oh, and I saw the GWR unit with the mask on its front sitting at Paddington too:

Paddington.jpeg

Bantamzen

Established Member
A few observations on my commute today:

1. GWR platform staff insisting all passengers are wearing masks.
  2. No increase in passengers that I noticed at either station, or on the train / tube.
  3. Ticket barriers back in operation at Paddington (platform 10 at least). Previously they were just left open with no staff on the gate.
  4. Free masks being given away on the main concourse (Paddington).
  5. BTP patrolling the tube and challenging people without masks on (didn't see whether they were dishing out fines for them or not).
  6. Wearing a mask for more than 15 seconds is rather uncomfortable!
Oh, and I saw the GWR unit with the mask on its front sitting at Paddington too:

View attachment 79552

At the risk of sounding like a miserable so & so, but I find painting masks on trains a bit disturbing. Its almost as if someone wants mask wearing to be normalised through subliminal messaging.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
At the risk of sounding like a miserable so & so, but I find painting masks on trains a bit disturbing. Its almost as if someone wants mask wearing to be normalised through subliminal messaging.

I think given the considerable potential beneficial effect and considerable opposition (and the fact that it is NOT about individual safety) then this is both necessary and desirable, and massively preferable to restrictions on the rest of our lives.

Andyh82

Established Member
Or its just a bit of fun and a very visible way to make people remember

Bantamzen

Established Member
I think given the considerable potential beneficial effect and considerable opposition (and the fact that it is NOT about individual safety) then this is both necessary and desirable, and massively preferable to restrictions on the rest of our lives.

That wasn't my point, all this imaging of mask wearing isn't necessary. Masks are & should be a temporary measure, and one that I personally don't like one bit. But all this messaging might make it easier to keep the measures in play even when they may no longer be needed.

This isn't a primary school.

westv

Established Member
I was thinking the same thing.

Journeyman

Established Member

Completely agree. I've already made my opposition to this known. I find the constant propaganda bombardment we're getting at the moment to be depressing and unnecessary, and it's having a dismal effect on my mental health.

LNER are retaining full social distancing on their trains, though, and are enforcing it, so they've made things worse. The benefits of masks are marginal at best, anyway.

We're constantly being reminded already, and oppressive images of something that absolutely shouldn't become "normal" are not in any way "fun".

BJames

Established Member
The usual petty passengers tweeting the TOCs this morning that hes not wearing one, she's not wearing one, a woman opposite has taken hers off to drink her coffee. What on earth do they expect them to do about it?
This is ridiculous. The Twitter moaners are one of the most frustrating types of traveller.

Anyway, TfL's stations (West Anglia overground at least) have put up posters with the "Carry water with you in hot weather" message, supplemented by a new message about being mindful of others when you remove your face covering to take a drink..

BJames

Established Member
I agree, not really for any particular reason other than it makes me feel a bit uncomfortable.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That wasn't my point, all this imaging of mask wearing isn't necessary. Masks are & should be a temporary measure

They should indeed, as far as this pandemic is concerned. I don't think anyone is suggesting everyone should go round wearing one at all times outside of a pandemic, it is silly to suggest that (particularly as it renders CCTV pretty ineffective) and a bizarre conspiracy theory.

However, there is a strong case for people to adopt the altruism and collectivism from the Asian countries, and if you have a cold or flu stay at home and wear one when needing to go out. If you mean normalise that, I think that would be great. I hate having a cold, and it usually comes from someone who really shouldn't be around spreading it.

MikeWM

Established Member
I agree, not really for any particular reason other than it makes me feel a bit uncomfortable.

'Hey, you know that thing you used to like? Well, we've made it far less enjoyable'. Not at all unreasonable to not be happy that the railway appears to be actively embracing that, rather than appearing to be very reluctant at a supposed temporary necessity.

(Bit like saying 'here's your new trains! They have fewer seats and those they do have are far more uncomfortable!' But I suppose they've been doing that for years too :-/

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I hate having a cold, and it usually comes from someone who really shouldn't be around spreading it.

If certain common cold viruses do bestow a level of resistance to COVID19, that might be more of an argument for spreading them.

I wonder if anyone is doing any serious research along these lines !

Journeyman

Established Member
'Hey, you know that thing you used to like? Well, we've made it far less enjoyable'. Not at all unreasonable to not be happy that the railway appears to be actively embracing that, rather than appearing to be very reluctant at a supposed temporary necessity.

Completely agree. I've really disliked the tone of loads of communication during this pandemic, which seems to amount to "we've taken all your freedom away, but yaaaaay! Isn't it fantastic?"

It's no surprise illegal raves are making a comeback.

Journeyman

Established Member
If certain common cold viruses do bestow a level of resistance to COVID19, that might be more of an argument for spreading them.

I wonder if anyone is doing any serious research along these lines !

You can see for yourself the lockdown is preventing the spread of illness, actually. I can't remember the last time I had a cold - I normally seem to get one every couple of months.

Bantamzen

Established Member
They should indeed, as far as this pandemic is concerned. I don't think anyone is suggesting everyone should go round wearing one at all times outside of a pandemic, it is silly to suggest that (particularly as it renders CCTV pretty ineffective) and a bizarre conspiracy theory.

However, there is a strong case for people to adopt the altruism and collectivism from the Asian countries, and if you have a cold or flu stay at home and wear one when needing to go out. If you mean normalise that, I think that would be great. I hate having a cold, and it usually comes from someone who really shouldn't be around spreading it.

I'd love to think it is some silly conspiracy theory, but everywhere you look now there is imagery of people wearing masks (especially on the BBC site) and it does make me wonder if there is some traction in what I'm thinking.

As far as encouraging symptomatic people to wear them, whilst I agree this might be an idea its worth keeping in mind that many of the countries where it is normalised there is very much more a work-first culture (I'm thinking of Japan here). So taking time off for being unwell might not be the preferred option there. So I would rather have a culture where sick workers don't feel compelled to drag themselves into work. That would be far preferable than the muzzles.

Completely agree. I've really disliked the tone of loads of communication during this pandemic, which seems to amount to "we've taken all your freedom away, but yaaaaay! Isn't it fantastic?"

It's no surprise illegal raves are making a comeback.

I am on the verge of throwing the TV out of the window if I see another advert or news article "celebrating" being stuck indoors....

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'd love to think it is some silly conspiracy theory, but everywhere you look now there is imagery of people wearing masks (especially on the BBC site) and it does make me wonder if there is some traction in what I'm thinking.

The thing is why? What would be the motivation? The fact that they render the controlling state's favourite toy, CCTV, totally useless, seems counter-proof to me.

As far as encouraging symptomatic people to wear them, whilst I agree this might be an idea its worth keeping in mind that many of the countries where it is normalised there is very much more a work-first culture (I'm thinking of Japan here). So taking time off for being unwell might not be the preferred option there. So I would rather have a culture where sick workers don't feel compelled to drag themselves into work. That would be far preferable than the muzzles.

If people stayed off work with a cold and when they went to the shop etc while staying off wore a mask, the cold could near die off. How good would that be?

baz962

Established Member

I am on the verge of throwing the TV out of the window if I see another advert or news article "celebrating" being stuck indoors....
Tell me where you live and which window you will throw the TV out of. I could do with an extra TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.