• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Facilities at Glasgow Queen Street and other stations in Scotland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Citybreak1

Wonder why it still has no shops and the station charges for toilets unlike Waverley? I notice the old Burger King at Waverley now just has a door looks to be getting used by the station. Seems facilities at Scotland’s stations is shrinking unlike stations in Europe which are like shopping malls.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Russel

Given there is much cheaper alternatives within a couple of minutes walk of Queen Street and Waverley, are we really missing out by not having over priced station outlets?

alexf380

Established Member
ScotRail manage the facilities at Glasgow Queen Street, and they charge for use of station toilets at their larger stations (such as Aberdeen etc). Edinburgh is a Network Rail managed station, and they abolished toilet charges a few years ago.
There's also plenty of food options in the Princes Mall at Edinburgh as you leave the station so less need for anything in the concourse.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I’m assuming there may be a few reasons for the reduction in catering provisions on the Queen Street concourse. Namely, the large reduction in space for them in the recent refurbishment/expansion of the concourse. Whilst the station is far more pleasant, there’s nary space for any retailers!

I also assume that maximising space for customers/minimising crowds might be a part of this. If they allowed catering outlets on the station, passengers are likely to arrive significantly earlier than they may otherwise, and the new concourse can feel crowded enough at the best of times.

As for the toilets, as @alexf380 correctly pointed out, only NR stations had their toilet charges abolished a few years ago. Unfortunately, this doesn’t apply to Glasgow Queen Street as it is owned by ScotRail.

As for other stations, I think it’s important to remember that whilst Network Rail is a public body, Scotrail is a for-profit private company. As a result, they will want to make profit from the catering offer on their trains (when they can be bothered to provide it), and putting retailers/restaurants in stations is likely to decrease the success of this (bearing in mind that the stations were designed before the catering was slashed during COVID).

Of course, this only works so far. Personally, for catering. I always use the Sainsbury’s on Buchanan St just a few minutes walk from Queen St station as they are far more affordable and reliable than the Scotrail offering. For toilets, I tend to use the free ones in Buchanan Gallery, or the one on the train.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I think that one reason for the toilet charges is to deter misuse.
Indeed one look at the cleanliness of Glasgow Central toilets compared to Queen St shows this is working rather effectively!

kkong

I’m assuming there may be a few reasons for the reduction in catering provisions on the Queen Street concourse. Namely, the large reduction in space for them in the recent refurbishment/expansion of the concourse. Whilst the station is far more pleasant, there’s nary space for any retailers!

The redevelopment plans showed an *increased* retail offer, over the North Hanover Street (taxi rank) side of the station.

I am not sure if it's still planned for this to go ahead.

Edit: Some renders here: https://www.heraldscotland.com/news...e-glasgow-queen-street-station-redevelopment/

ScotRail are also marketing two refurbished and two newly created retail units at Aberdeen station:

The pub and cafe were turfed out for the redevelopment (would have closed for Covid anyway) but have not returned.

Last edited:

SargeNpton

Established Member
As for other stations, I think it’s important to remember that whilst Network Rail is a public body, Scotrail is a for-profit private company. As a result, they will want to make profit from the catering offer on their trains (when they can be bothered to provide it), and putting retailers/restaurants in stations is likely to decrease the success of this (bearing in mind that the stations were designed before the catering was slashed during COVID).
From ScotRail's website...

"ScotRail Trains Limited is owned by the Scottish Government and overseen by Scottish Rail Holdings Limited (SRH Ltd). This publicly-owned company now operates rail services in Scotland and will continue to be known as ‘ScotRail’."

Leisurefirst

Indeed, apparently so.
I can't remember if it was a poster at QS or a Tweet from them, they said they reintroduced charges as misuse occurred when they dropped them.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
From ScotRail's website...

"ScotRail Trains Limited is owned by the Scottish Government and overseen by Scottish Rail Holdings Limited (SRH Ltd). This publicly-owned company now operates rail services in Scotland and will continue to be known as ‘ScotRail’."
Ah yes - I totally forgot about the nationalisation. Oops :lol:

duncanp

Established Member
Especially so in the case of Queen Street. At Dundee they are free (though beyond the ticket barrier).

The toilets at Birmingham New Street are beyond the ticket barriers, which keeps out undesirables, except when staff shortages mean that the barriers are left open.

You would think that a major station like Glasgow Queen Street would have a few shops, like a coffee shop and a small convenience store to buy sandwiches for a long journey.

If you are relying on Scotrail for catering, and it is not provided for whatever reason, the journey to Fort William or Inverness will be a very long one.

scotraildriver

Established Member
The toilets at Birmingham New Street are beyond the ticket barriers, which keeps out undesirables, except when staff shortages mean that the barriers are left open.

You would think that a major station like Glasgow Queen Street would have a few shops, like a coffee shop and a small convenience store to buy sandwiches for a long journey.

If you are relying on Scotrail for catering, and it is not provided for whatever reason, the journey to Fort William or Inverness will be a very long one.
There are 2 coffee shops and a McColls convenience store 30 seconds walk from the station. Probably the reason companies don't want to pay the high station rents. There are also 2 coffee carts on the concourse.

duncanp

Established Member
There are 2 coffee shops and a McColls convenience store 30 seconds walk from the station. Probably the reason companies don't want to pay the high station rents. There are also 2 coffee carts on the concourse.

I didn't realise that.

I suppose people in the know would stock up on whatever they needed for a long journey if they didn't want to take a chance on whether Scotrail were going to provide catering.

route101

Established Member
There is a retail space for Let in Queen St but its not been occupied. Most people don't linger long at Queen St. Station Burger Kings were often quite poor.

I thought the Queen St station toilets were free if you had a valid ticket, you put the ticket in the barrier?

scotraildriver

Established Member
There are 5 retail units for let but no takers. There are no barriers at the toilets and no space to install them as they were supposed to be free to use. Unfortunately due to persistent anti social behaviour, not to mention them being almost totally destroyed on 3 occasions when protests/events were on in George Square it has been necessary to staff them and charge accordingly. The disabled toilet is free and if you really can't wait until you're on the train or refuse to pay the 50p there are Wetherspoons/five guys/Buchanan galleries etc nearby.

EMU303

Cafe Nero have applied for permission to open on West George St (between the station and Buchanan St, so a 1 minute walk from the station). Both sit in and takeaway. Should do very well in that location.

dcsprior

Given there is much cheaper alternatives within a couple of minutes walk of Queen Street and Waverley, are we really missing out by not having over priced station outlets?
Having outlets within the station is a benefit if you're on a tight connection, or if you're killing time 'cos your train is delayed and you want to stay in the station in case it becomes less delayed, or if you're already in the station when you see on the displays that on-board catering on your train isn't happening today.

endecotp

Well.

Queen street is the only station where I’ve seen someone peeing on the platform. It was one of the low-level platforms, I think in a doorway. Maybe it was even the lift door, not sure now.

So there’s a tradeoff between “misuse” of the toilets and other antisocial behaviour.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I doubt abolishing charges would stop that sort of behaviour in that location tbh.

If they decided to go in a corner of the low-level platforms, I don't see that they could be bothered to go upstairs to the main station, across the concourse, then downstairs to the toilets - free or otherwise.

Marty82

Two units are showing as still available and two units are under offer on the property website. Has anything gone in above the ticket office yet? Also what has happened to the temporary ticket office in Dundas Street?

Falcon1200

Established Member
Cafe Nero have applied for permission to open on West George St (between the station and Buchanan St, so a 1 minute walk from the station). Both sit in and takeaway. Should do very well in that location.

There was a coffee shop, also a Cafe Nero IIRC, in Dundas Street, even closer to Queen St station, until a couple of years ago!

scotraildriver

Established Member
There was a coffee shop, also a Cafe Nero IIRC, in Dundas Street, even closer to Queen St station, until a couple of years ago!
That has now reopened as another vastly overpriced coffee shop called "off the rails". Their prices certainly are!

alxndr

Established Member
I'd also suspect, but don't know, that the majority of people are either local and know there's plenty of other options around or are heading to/from Central where they'll see plenty of shops on the way or could make use of the facilities inside. It's surely a minority who would want to use a shop there.

The trend for trying to make stations into shopping centres has never really made sense to me, especially in larger places where there plenty of better places to go within a short distance.

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
Wonder why it still has no shops and the station charges for toilets unlike Waverley? I notice the old Burger King at Waverley now just has a door looks to be getting used by the station. Seems facilities at Scotland’s stations is shrinking unlike stations in Europe which are like shopping malls.

Or even just in London. London Victoria is great for shops, and the refurbished toilets are pretty great for a British railway station. London Bridge's are a bit boggy though...

JamieL

Queen Street now has an M&S Food store. Don't know when it opened but sure it wasn't there when I last passed by in January

A new Tesco Express has opened on the route between Glasgow Central and Queen Street as well - located where the old Co-op was.

scotraildriver

Established Member
Sadly the new M&S is operated by WHSmith under a franchise agreement meaning sky high prices. Shame.

mcmad

As for other stations, I think it’s important to remember that whilst Network Rail is a public body, Scotrail is a for-profit private company.

Scotrail isn't a private company, its an arms length government body like Network Rail albeit the government is Holyrood rather than Westminster.

Status
Not open for further replies.